Autopsy Round 15 - GWS Giants v Hawthorn @ Spotless, Saturday 30 June 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Is it interesting that he is still coaching from the bench.

I have two trains of thoughts

1. We were going down fast and the first game he coached from the bench we won and have not lost since. So leon is superstitious

Or

2. There is truth to the rumour he does not get on with the guys in the box currently and has been told to coach from the bench

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

or 3. It actually works, Leon can engage the boys 1 on 1, it's more immediate. How often do you hear coaches say it's out of their hands come gameday, it's all in the preparation. From vision of Leon on the bench, he doesn't appear overly agitated, so I don't think agitation would be why he was kicked out of the coaches box.

or 3. It actually works, Leon can engage the boys 1 on 1, it's more immediate. How often do you hear coaches say it's out of their hands come gameday, it's all in the preparation. From vision of Leon on the bench, he doesn't appear overly agitated, so I don't think agitation would be why he was kicked out of the coaches box.
Agreed.
I cant see how anyone could push the head coach anywhere he didn't want to go anyway. There'd be serious structural problems in administration if that happened.
I like the idea that guys like Lenny Hayes and Mark McVeigh are confident without the boss looking over their shoulder, which must be the case. Leon clearly has the confidence in them to delegate as well.

Biggest take from this game is just how poor we are at converting our chances. Average in 2018 is 12 goals and 13.5 behinds per game. Add in the kicks that don't even make it or go out on the full and its worse than it looks.

So many of our players are taking these quick kicks out of packs and just missing shots on goal, regularly. Hawthorn made the most out of its limited opportunities and came close to toppling us even though they looked very poor compared to us.

I put this down to two things, confidence and skills. I think so many players, especially when in the forward line are down on confidence. And maybe some effort could be placed on goal kicking, snaps especially. I know missing players like Greene matter, but he was there last year when we weren't converting well as a team either.

Given our midfield in the last weeks seems to have beat the opponents easily, and the players we have coming back, the only thing stopping us from the grand final this year is taking advantage of our opportunities on goal. We need to make it look easy again to kill teams spirits. Make them wonder if the talent in the side is just too great for them. If you have the most talented team on paper and are missing easy shots on goal then people don't have the belief.

4 points and Lobb back in the team is a good result from the weekend and after being highly critical of HH during the season he had his first ok game of the season IMO and I will not be calling for him to be dropped for the next game and it would be interesting to see where he spent time during the game
How do people get access to the players heat maps? is it champion data statistics that do them?
The goal kicking accuracy was an issue but I think it was due to the style of game the Hawks were playing with a lot of pressure on the ball
Haynes had one of his better games this season with a lot of play going through him in the defensive 50

4 points and Lobb back in the team is a good result from the weekend and after being highly critical of HH during the season he had his first ok game of the season IMO and I will not be calling for him to be dropped for the next game and it would be interesting to see where he spent time during the game
How do people get access to the players heat maps? is it champion data statistics that do them?
The goal kicking accuracy was an issue but I think it was due to the style of game the Hawks were playing with a lot of pressure on the ball
Haynes had one of his better games this season with a lot of play going through him in the defensive 50
On the AFL website under the match/players stats and second page. Could be wrong but I think I read you need live pass to access. I get it free as a Telstra customer. Telstra are bastards but I find them competent bastards

1. Full game

Screenshot_20180704-042015.jpg

I found his qtr by qtr interesting so here they are

1st QTR

Screenshot_20180704-042056.jpg

2nd QTR
Screenshot_20180704-042132.jpg

3rd QTR

Screenshot_20180704-042203.jpg

4th QTR

Screenshot_20180704-042240.jpg

Pretty interesting he went back for the last QTR. I'd expect him to be watching Sicily as their intercept marker, but the teams seemed to agree on a loose man in defence each. That allowed Haynes at the other end to dominate I think.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back