Round 15 vs Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

Spida will want to do well against his old team.
We will need to have our better tackling players against Hawthorn as they like to get physical and we have to give it back to them.

We play one-on-one footy. Their cluster will have less of an impact on us. They are (or at least were) the worst hard ball team in the competition.

Play one-on-one, make them fight for the hard ball, and watch them fall apart.

I agree 100% with you mate.Good call.

McVeigh has far outstripped my expectations of him anyway, so I don't say anything. Same with Inspo.

All the rest is pretty spot on, but Bird's game yesterday was terrific, I thought. Consistent performance which, along with Kirk's, helped to keep us afloat.

Maybe its just that Collingwood match up very well against us? Breaking the man on man approach and kicking to packs, using their terrific aerial marking skills to their advantage.

Well, at least Hawthorn's gameplan doesn't look too crash hot against us.

In all fairness, you haven't really played against our gameplan...which more or less has come to the fore this season. Having said that, you match up on us better than most.

Hawks were belittled by man-on-man last season in round 9, but you only won by 9 points in the end. But then we went north, and you smashed the bejesus out of us.

I have no idea what to expect. Hawks are stronger bodied than in seasons gone, but we still have significant weak links, which would make man on man the preferred option for you guys again.

It'll be an intriguing contest, AC mentioned in the preseason that the Hawks were steeling themselves for Adelaide in Adelaide and Sydney this season, so hopefully we turn up to play, and the week off doesn't have too much effect. It'll be interesting to see how Sydney responds.

I think the smart money would stay with Sydney, but Hawks with a lot to prove.

Players always put in their best efforts against their old teams. Craig Bolton's best performances are usually against the Lions and Richards best performances are usually against Eseendon. Luke Brennan would tear Hawthorn's defence apart :D
your kidding,thats like saying McHack would beat the Geelong midfield

Lukey, after reading your post, you're making me feel confident of a win.

:eek: I've let this get away out of hand ;)

And so we should be confident! One loss against our bogey team, when we are always flat after the week off.

We have every reason to be confident.

McVeigh has far outstripped my expectations of him anyway, so I don't say anything. Same with Inspo.

All the rest is pretty spot on, but Bird's game yesterday was terrific, I thought. Consistent performance which, along with Kirk's, helped to keep us afloat.

Maybe its just that Collingwood match up very well against us? Breaking the man on man approach and kicking to packs, using their terrific aerial marking skills to their advantage.

Well, at least Hawthorn's gameplan doesn't look too crash hot against us.

Agree and I don't think Birdy' previous game was that bad. He's being played in a defensive role. Just watch the work he does off the ball. As for Kirky he was gain terrific. His awareness on a football ground is often amazing.

Our defence is ranked no1 by some margin, so hard to crticise.

But;

Leo has made some silly erors of late, but remains our only viable FB. Plus, he often provides a valuable link and run out of defence. Malceski needs to lift the defensive side of his game as he can often play too far off his man.

Having said that, there are no better alernatives, and to repeat, we are the most miserly defence in the league.

Mids; are also one of the reasons we are ranked n01, as (normaly), they work very hard going backwards and stop quick ball into our back half. They just played poorly as a unit last night.

Having said that Moore, Buchanan, Bird & Ablett have been down over the last few weeks. Mcveigh, has had maybe one poor game all year, and been in our best 3 most of the season, why he continues to be criticsed staggers me.

Bird and Moore are young blokes, and like all young blokes, struggle to maintain consistent performance.

Jack has been excellent

IMO for what it is worth.

i think mchack's game on the weekend was ordinary to say the least but he's certainly far better this year than at any previous time
i think you're wrong on bird, i think apart he's been good in recent weeks and in fact has been on an upward curve from the first round, apart from i think two games

moore has been quiet but at least against the Pies he showed he was prepared to keep at it, and he eventually got into the game after halftime

like you, i think jack's been outstanding, and he, bird and moore are all long-term parts of our team

ablett does a lot of work off the ball and defensively, but he's made some skill and decision-making errors, no doubt about that

i agree on malch, but not entirely on leo, who surely, as full back, must make defence his main priority before being an option running out of defence, i mean, we have kennelly, malch and mattner, and even lewie, for that and we have enough problems with their defensive accountability

actually, i started this post simply to say i think bird was triffic on saturday and hadn't been too bad in the weekes before then

:eek: I've let this get away out of hand ;)

And so we should be confident! One loss against our bogey team, when we are always flat after the week off.

We have every reason to be confident.

mase, you're one of the best judges on here, and i generally agree with your thinking
but please PLEASE tell me why we have ANY reason to be confident against the hawks, let alone "every" reason???

i might still be suffering a pie hangover

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Players always put in their best efforts against their old teams. Craig Bolton's best performances are usually against the Lions and Richards best performances are usually against Eseendon. Luke Brennan would tear Hawthorn's defence apart :D

I admire Luke Brennan's ability to take strong marks, but his kicking at Hawthorn was woeful and from what I've seen of him since he went to Sin City, he hasn't improved.

My two cents is that Sydney will be much stronger with Hall out of the side than in it. The Swans also had a number of players who were down on form against Collingwood and their talent should ensure that they bounce back against us on Sunday. Goodes is always a dangerous player and we don't really have a suitable match for him.

Hopefully Hawthorn will regain Chance Bateman, Simon Taylor and Stuart Dew, while Jordan Lewis and Shane Crawford are hopefully right to play. But Brad Sewell is highly likely to miss having had his appendix out last week. That's a tough blow, because Sewell's value to the Hawthorn midfield is that he frees Luke Hodge to basically do what he likes in our midfield without sacrificing the ability to get the hard ball.

Should be a good game. :thumbsu:

Buddy will kick a bag next weekend, but thats ok because so will Micky O and the whole friggin team without Hall to stifle our fire power and screw with the psyche of our mid field, who piss them selves going forward because Barry is screaming like a bully in the playground demanding lunch money.

Totally agree!!

mase, you're one of the best judges on here, and i generally agree with your thinking
but please PLEASE tell me why we have ANY reason to be confident against the hawks, let alone "every" reason???

i might still be suffering a pie hangover

Because ours styles directly go against each other. The Swans rely on the hard contested ball, and winning the clearances in congested space. We play one-on-one.

Hawthorn, rely on a lot of uncontested ball, and generally play various 'zones'.

Key stats that seperate us.

Tackles: The Swans average 10 more tackles per game than Hawthorn. This is the best in the AFL. Hawthorn however, are fourth last on the AFL list.

Handballs: The number of handball is not important, but certainly their handball / kick ratio is. It shows that Sydney will kick the ball 54 more times than handballs. Hawthorn show this stat as 20 additional. This provides us with more opportunity to force a turn-over to the ball carrier.

Last time I checked, the Hawks were last in contested possessions.
We always perform poorly after the break, and against Collingwood. I am not saying we will necessarily win, but it will be close.

We certainly should not get blown away.

When Sydney play their best, we put pressure on every possession. If we do that, we will win.

Are they still kicking out into the wings and then moving it into the centre closer to their forward 50?

The gameplan may work for us. Creates more space in the middle and its easier to set up a stoppage anyhow :rolleyes::p

Like all of us, i was shellshocked by Sats result. Then the Hall episode soured
the whole thing even more. But hey,next week Goodsey is back,hopefully full
of remorse,and raring to lead the team,because when he fires up the younger
players respond. I`m sticking to the old motto of one game at a time.
The players will respond to last weeks lethargic performance,because if they
don`t, it`s going to be very hard to make the finals. Bloods spirit will prevail!!

Like all of us, i was shellshocked by Sats result. Then the Hall episode soured
the whole thing even more. But hey,next week Goodsey is back,hopefully full
of remorse,and raring to lead the team,because when he fires up the younger
players respond. I`m sticking to the old motto of one game at a time.
The players will respond to last weeks lethargic performance,because if they
don`t, it`s going to be very hard to make the finals. Bloods spirit will prevail!!

I'm not over saturday night and do not beleive we will beat hawthorn. :thumbsdown:

The gameplan may work for us. Creates more space in the middle and its easier to set up a stoppage anyhow :rolleyes::p

forget gameplans
the hawks are going better than we are
we're a good second-tier side, in fact probly the best, but they're a first-tier side
if we stay within 40 points we'll have done well

I'm confident about next week, actually. Would Collingwood be 2nd tier as well, incidentally?

no, i've been saying it for almost a year
c'wood are a flag chance, a legitimate shot at the premiership
the cats will be spewing that we might be about to cede 4th spot to the pies, coz the one team geelong truly fears is collingwood
malthouse has been bringing them along like roos did with us in 05-06
they'll be fit and well prepared for finals footy come september
like a lot of our results before about round 14 in 05-06, you can forget a lot of the pies' results (such as losses to carlton, hawthorn)
if they're fit, c'wood will be a serious challenger

Remove this Banner Ad

Back