Preview Round 16 – West Coast Eagles vs GWS Giants, Optus Stadium, Sunday 8th July 2018, 4.40pm AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It will be interesting how we try to approach the hole this creates

Personally Lobb and HH are tall enough and I would pick Daniels
I hope it's Matt Flynn come on down. He's played as a tall forward st NEAFL level a lot as I understand it? The only worry I have with Daniels is he's missed a lot of shots when I have seen him. He's not Robinson Crusoe there though.

Afl.com confirming Darling and Kennedy are not going to be fit. There is a question mark over Ryan as well seeing as he crashed his car this afternoon.

Easy to see how they are scoring so few points over the last three weeks
They were a taller forward line (now without Kennedy and Darling) and would like to know if they are the tallest team playing?
Should we keep smaller in the back line?

I don't really think the team is in good enough form to win the next 2 matches. We're probably gonna drop 1. If we exert maximum pressure this week and win, a six day turn around against Richmond at Showgrounds is pretty much impossible. And then Port in Adelaide the week after!!
Looking ahead, and being optimistic, I think we'll go W L L W in the next 4.

Speaking of Richmond, Peter Daicos on Marngrook last night was really insightful. He showed vision of how Richmond get their goals, always keeping the ball alive and tapping, kicking, flapping the ball forward in every instance with quick runners always anticipating that. To play them, Daicos said you have to get defenders behind their attack, to run at the quick loose balls that have been knocked forward.
I believe that’s how the Dogs played well in the lead up to their GF.
They didn’t handball or kick to players, they threw or kicked into the space in front of them. They immediately wrong-footed players marking them as the ball was never kicked to them.
If the Dogs knew their team was going to do that and it was their tactic, it really worked.
The Tigers do both. Hit targets accurately but they do kick to the space ahead.
We have a running team. It would be an interesting tactic.
Just imo.

Personally I doubt that they would bring Flynn in purely as a forward, but you never know. Sproule perhaps, but I suspect not. TOJ forward would be an option, backfilled by a medium defender (Kenners?). Otherwise, new forward options Shipley, Bonar (190cms ish) to keep some height, or Daniels you would think would be considered.

Personally I doubt that they would bring Flynn in purely as a forward, but you never know. Sproule perhaps, but I suspect not. TOJ forward would be an option, backfilled by a medium defender (Kenners?). Otherwise, new forward options Shipley, Bonar (190cms ish) to keep some height, or Daniels you would think would be considered.
Rory Lobb might have a different view, but we'll see. I doubt a mid will replace him, but it's possible. Leon tends to picks the best 22 players and then assign positions I've noticed.
I dont think we want to go shorter though, unless forced to. TOJ maybe and bring Bunts or Kenners in could work

I'd like to see us try a smaller forward gameplan to attempt to take advantage of our midfield dominance. In this regard making sure we keep the pressure in there is important so that the mids have time to get there and score. Patton may be an alright marking target but he hasn't been good on goal this year, or good at pressure around the ball. So if we can replace him with someone who is good at pressure and goalkicking then maybe we will be better off with our current team.

Last edited:
I reckon Hopper will be the straw that broke the camels back... we really depend on consistency from inside mids.

They were a taller forward line (now without Kennedy and Darling) and would like to know if they are the tallest team playing?
Should we keep smaller in the back line?
Le Cras is out injured as well - will be out for 3-4 weeks. Think we must have shot a chinaman or something! So the only permanent forward left in our forward line is Cripps so don't think you have too much to worry about?

Le Cras is out injured as well - will be out for 3-4 weeks. Think we must have shot a chinaman or something! So the only permanent forward left in our forward line is Cripps so don't think you have too much to worry about?
Haven’t heard that expression in years.
With both teams’ outs I’m really not sure how this will go.
Whoever adapts to their missing players wins, to state the obvious I suppose.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Haven’t heard that expression in years.
With both teams’ outs I’m really not sure how this will go.
Whoever adapts to their missing players wins, to state the obvious I suppose.
I know bloody injuries man would love to se both teams at full strength plus Toby green, Jeremy Cameron, Zac Williams, Tom Scully in full flight are a treat to watch.

I know bloody injuries man would love to se both teams at full strength plus Toby green, Jeremy Cameron, Zac Williams, Tom Scully in full flight are a treat to watch.
As far as injuries go it applies to players of all clubs as far as I'm concerned. It's a sport at the end of the day. Guys like Kennedy Darling and Le Cras are a pleasure to watch as well.

From a team perspective, the worst that can happen is he's ineffective like Dawson will probably be.

At some point he will have to play against these blokes.
In my opinion the modern game as changed and the ruckman can be as good as you want but it's how the team sets up around the tap. You can win the tap but not necessarily to your team

I think the good ruckman nowadays like NN and Gawn and the ones that can play other roles well too like up forward

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

We can't be wasteful in front of goal.

Win this and then some reinforcements start to come back.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
My issue this game now has come down to almost 1 thing. With no lead up forwards left, I can almost Guarantee the boys are gonna bomb it long. West coast know that and Jeremy McGovern will be licking his lips. He is the best at knocking those off

If Leon is a good coach that is the number one thing he works on this week

too early to be talking about September lol, we've gotta focus on a game at a time, every loss from here puts a nail into the coffin for 2018, we're hanging in there, but just at the moment, a very favorable weekend for us results wise, we need to use that to advantage and keep digging in. We lost Jezza but still managed to almost kick 100 points, which was fantastic, but some of the goals we conceded was extremely poor and we need to get that right this week.

its almost 2 identical teams playing this week, poor options up front with both defence's looking solid but again, our midfield is superior to WCE and we need to use that to our advantage. keep playing Dawson IMO, we know he's not gonna go with NicNat athletically but Lobb can fill in when he takes his breathers and Dawson is doing his job (he's not the best ruckmen, but does what we need him to do), we need to keep Lobb up front and help General out.

Really need General to fire this week, just needs his confidence, hopefully an early goal or two will get him comfortable, he can be dominant once he's good, but its just him getting into the zone for that to happen.

very winnable game, but going to be much tougher than the Hawks and there's going to be a very vocal crowd at Optus trying to light a fire up WCE.

Cmon Giants, we've had a great month of football, lets keep that momentum going and get a result that gives us more ammunation to make an assault towards the finals :)
Great write up Sime !!! You just now need to re-write your second half :(

Two big outs for the club and interesting what the final changes will be and surprised Perryman has been named after a concussion in the reserves but I would see him come in for Hopper but play a different role and I am hoping Keefe isn’t named and I think Lobb and HH in the forward 50 with support from TOJ and Tomlinson will be enough and Bonar hasn’t set the NEAFL on fire but he could provide soemthing different in the forward 50 and the learning experience will be great for him

Two big outs for the cluib and interesting what the final changes will be and surprised Perryman has been named after a concussion in the reserves but I would see him come in for Hopper but play a different role and I am hoping Keefe isn’t named and I think Lobb and HH in the forward 50 with support from TOJ and Tomlinson will be enough and Bonar hasn’t set the NEAFL on fire but he could provide soemthing different in the forward 50 and the learning experience will be great for him
I agree about Keefe but if I was betting with my money I would back him to be. I think he was a good cheap pickup for depth but in an ideal world he plays NEAFL

I suspect Shipley or Bonar for Hopper, and Shipley favourite because there's been no specific debutant announcement. That's not a certainty though and the decision may genuinely not be made yet.

Shipley intrigues me, he obviously has the natural endurance but doesn't look like he's built like an inside mid to me, plays like one at NEAFL level though. I wonder if we'll see his best after an off season or two in the gym.

With Bonar it just a matter of when he's assessed as ready I'm sure and he's like for like with Hopper.

Hope for Kenners to squeeze in possibly on the wing, that could conceivably see Kelly move more inside instead of a new inside mid.

I think the club would get more from playing Bonar than someone like keefe bit anything is possible and we know they like the team to be tall and although Perryman isn’t offering a lot I think it is important to learn around the more experienced players
And I am seeing the coaches seem to me to be reluctant to play first year players

I think the club would get more from playing Bonar than someone like keefe bit anything is possible and we know they like the team to be tall and although Perryman isn’t offering a lot I think it is important to learn around the more experienced players
And I am seeing the coaches seem to me to be reluctant to play first year players
There was no reluctance to play Taranto last year, or Shipley and Taylor this year. I think Bonar is developing to a plan, we just dont know what it is. It may well be Perryman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back