Review Round 17, GWS Giants vs Geelong, Saturday July 25th, 1.45pm, Startrack Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

Could not find anyone to go with Hawkins. Davis missing is a real thorn in the side.
Toby Greene - they should bring in a rule where handballing is allowed to score goals, 'cause trying to kick them is obviously not working for him.

A positive was the performances of downie and lobb. Lobb' around the ground work was very good I thought. With another 10kgs on him he could be quite damaging.

Toby's kicking was embarrassing. I think in the next couple of years he won't be able to keep his spot. Ahern and Pickett will be his competition - and they are both excellent kicks.

A positive was the performances of downie and lobb. Lobb' around the ground work was very good I thought. With another 10kgs on him he could be quite damaging.
The young rucks are doing well, but it certainly hurts our balance. Mummy and Tomlinson today would have given us the option to run Lamb all day and add another mid or impact running back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The young rucks are doing well, but it certainly hurts our balance. Mummy and Tomlinson today would have given us the option to run Lamb all day and add another mid or impact running back.
We can't play Tomlinson in the ruck... Too small. He needs to be in the forward or backline.

Hi all, commiserations on the result. Cats were just a bit too strong for you guys today.

What really pissed me off was the venue. I was seated right on the wing on the temporary stand side, opposite the main stand. I'm not sure what it was like for the other side of the ground, but on my side, had to wait 10 minutes to take a piss, 15 minutes to get something to eat and when I did get to the front of the que they told us they ran out of chips. And the f$),&!4 game had not even started!

A bloke I was sitting next to, even stopped drinking beer as he was complaining of the que for the beer tent! I kept an eye on the lines throughout the game, as I was sitting on the last row of seats and it disint look like they got any shorter as the game went on.

Just bloody hopeless stadium for AFL is that's the rubbish service they are providing. I can't understand why all the Giants games are not played at the Showgrounds as I've been to a number of games there and it's awsome.

Have to fix this up ASAP!

We can't play Tomlinson in the ruck... Too small. He needs to be in the forward or backline.
Tomlinson plays a reasonable chop out ruck to Mummy. Did quite well at the start of the year and bit last year. We can afford to have him do five minutes a quarter when you have a beast like Mummy doing the lion's share.

Tomlinson plays a reasonable chop out ruck to Mummy. Did quite well at the start of the year and bit last year. We can afford to have him do five minutes a quarter when you have a beast like Mummy doing the lion's share.
I disagree. He's too small, even for chop out.

Hi all, commiserations on the result. Cats were just a bit too strong for you guys today.

What really pissed me off was the venue. I was seated right on the wing on the temporary stand side, opposite the main stand. I'm not sure what it was like for the other side of the ground, but on my side, had to wait 10 minutes to take a piss, 15 minutes to get something to eat and when I did get to the front of the que they told us they ran out of chips. And the f$),&!4 game had not even started!

A bloke I was sitting next to, even stopped drinking beer as he was complaining of the que for the beer tent! I kept an eye on the lines throughout the game, as I was sitting on the last row of seats and it disint look like they got any shorter as the game went on.

Just bloody hopeless stadium for AFL is that's the rubbish service they are providing. I can't understand why all the Giants games are not played at the Showgrounds as I've been to a number of games there and it's awsome.

Agreed, wasn't any better on any count over in the members area. Woefully inadequate facilities of every type, it's barely tolerable when 3/4 full today was just plain bullshit. They will never grow ACT as a genuine home base unless they make it something people want to go back to, and heard plenty today saying never again..

Totally agree with you on the facilities - and given they now have international cricket locked in for the next several years and us for the next ten it's the next thing they have to work on. They've lowered the field and put in all new drainage etc. that was stage 1. Then the lights were put in place to give night games and day nighters the go ahead. so next up are the ancillary facilities, toilets and food stalls etc.

It it a must. (but at least it is on the agenda)

I was on the Hill side as well. The facilities have improved since I was last at Manuka (2013), but it still leaves a lot to be desired; particularly when the ground is at capacity.

That said, I think you might have gone to the food outlet that I did, which had absolutely no idea. I went at quarter time, it was slow as; had two people taking orders who just took your money, they didn't handle the food or really pass on what you'd ordered. I ordered a burger - was told they weren't making any more so ordered a souvlaki. Only to see when waiting for the food that they'd made half a dozen burgers which just sat in the Bain Marie. Plus no prices up either. I can cope with long queues at Spotless, but this was shocking.

All well and good they are going to do upgrades because it's bloody needed! The food vendors need to be locked at ASAP as they were woefully under repaired for today's crowd. They knew it would be a sell out early in the week, yet they couldn't get it right. More staff, more food, quicker lines and people happy. Leaves a good taste in their mouths. (Pun intended)!

It pains me to agree, but the catering is bloody woeful. My guess is that they are just not footy type people doing the catering.
At 1/4 time I queued for a pie in a line that did not progress. There was 6 people in the van, 4 faffing around with chai skinny lattes and extra froth on double shot decafs etc, while people who were cold, wanted to gulp down a luke-warm pie, and get back to their seats before the game started again, (me), were frustrated and hungry. No idea.

It pains me to agree, but the catering is bloody woeful. My guess is that they are just not footy type people doing the catering.
At 1/4 time I queued for a pie in a line that did not progress. There was 6 people in the van, 4 faffing around with chai skinny lattes and extra froth on double shot decafs etc, while people who were cold, wanted to gulp down a luke-warm pie, and get back to their seats before the game started again, (me), were frustrated and hungry. No idea.

Sounds like the MCC these days :)

The best stadium I have ever been to for haste and options in food and drinks was Yankee stadium. Feels like there's a food place at the top of every bay of seats. It's all good to have latte's and special ordered burgers etc but you need to have the resources and it doesn't sound like that was thought through at all from your experience.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back