Preview Round 17 - GWS Giants vs Richmond, Saturday 14th July 2018, 7.25pm, Spotless Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 6, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Thunder
It was disappointing to lose against the Eagles, having got our noses in front that last quarter.

We were down a bit in the clearances, lost the hit-outs by 2-1, and everyone knows about our inaccuracy in front of goal. But you couldn't fault the work ethic. And there were no great revelations from Leon in the presser.

Nonetheless, the four points would have been handy as we now play Richmond coming off a six day break, traveling back from the west. A tough ask.

Can we beat the ladder-leading Tigers?

Of course we can. We've been playing consistently for a while now and the hunger will be there, as we've got more to play for than Richmond. The stakes are high and I can't see us falling apart.

I think the main question is whether Adam Kennedy is recalled this week. He continues to play well in the NEAFL and he's in good form, so I wouldn't be surprised to see him selected. But I can't see any other big name inclusions. I know there's speculation about Toby and Brett Deledio, but this is going to be intense and we need form players. They're better off having a run in the seconds and blowing away the cobwebs, Toby especially.

I'm expecting a big crowd for this game, the biggest since the last derby against the Swans. Tigers supporters will be out in force, so we need as many of our 23,685 members to turn out and make some noise, because the team is going to need it.

It's going to be a real cracker, and I'm not expecting to have much of a voice left when it's all over. So let's go Giants, let's go.

Surely don't want to risk that delicate foot of Greene's back too soon, as much as I'd love to see him back.

Hey guys, really looking forward to this game. My missus got me flights, accom and tickets to the game this weekend for my birthday which is grouse.

Just wondering, what end is the away cheer squad end, and how early do you think I’d have to get there before the game to get two seats up high behind the goals? Or I shouldn’t have to worry?

Hey guys, really looking forward to this game. My missus got me flights, accom and tickets to the game this weekend for my birthday which is grouse.

Just wondering, what end is the away cheer squad end, and how early do you think I’d have to get there before the game to get two seats up high behind the goals? Or I shouldn’t have to worry?
Northern end mate, the one without a grandstand.
Rarely full for interstate teams so wouldn't stress the seat, 60-45 mins should be heaps

You wouldn't have to worry. Think you'll like Spotless, it's great for watching footy, typifies what a 'boutique' stadium is all-about; shame Sydneysiders are slow to catch on!

Just wondering how much longer the coach plays guys for being good blokes and not on form/potential?

Some of the guys continually getting a game (and underperforming) are not, and will never be AFL standard. If you have no agility/skill you have no future.

Get that we have injuries but we are wasting games on absolute donkeys.

We have to risk Toby imo, his inclusion will be such a lift to our team and our chances up front (we need another target up front) As someone posted yesterday (forget who sorry), everyone should have shots at goal and keep practicing - we need to convert our chances, especially against Richmond.

I actually think the game will be closer than what people think, no doubt we need to figure how to stop Richmond’s run the last, it’s just unstoppable when it gets going.

Tomlinson looked decent up front yesterday and kicked a few which will do his confidence a lot. I wouldn’t be against keeping him up there and bringing Kenner’s down back (Still deciding who to drop, HH is due but he looked better yesterday)

Lids comes back in the 2’s if fit - he’s not worth the risk (unless we plan on moving him on at the end of the season). He just can’t get a break with injuries.

Just wondering how much longer the coach plays guys for being good blokes and not on form/potential?

Some of the guys continually getting a game (and underperforming) are not, and will never be AFL standard. If you have no agility/skill you have no future.

Yeah, to any Victorian types who want to bang on about the AFL gifted depths and riches we possess, I give you #50!

A silver lining amongst the clouds....just how good is Tim Taranto tracking?
Has barely missed a skip in the two years, stepped up to AFL level almost immediately, keeps on contributing, confident with decisions & execution.
I was watching game day a few weeks back and Tim is tracking to be a better player than Kelly at the same age

Woooow

Lock the kid in

We have to risk Toby imo, his inclusion will be such a lift to our team and our chances up front (we need another target up front) As someone posted yesterday (forget who sorry), everyone should have shots at goal and keep practicing - we need to convert our chances, especially against Richmond.

I actually think the game will be closer than what people think, no doubt we need to figure how to stop Richmond’s run the last, it’s just unstoppable when it gets going.

Tomlinson looked decent up front yesterday and kicked a few which will do his confidence a lot. I wouldn’t be against keeping him up there and bringing Kenner’s down back (Still deciding who to drop, HH is due but he looked better yesterday)

Lids comes back in the 2’s if fit - he’s not worth the risk (unless we plan on moving him on at the end of the season). He just can’t get a break with injuries.
I largely agree here

Toby needs to come back if fit. He has been training for weeks so the foot should be right. He is a match winner

If we can somehow jag a win, that eases a lot of pressure IMO, not to mention the message that sends to the league.

Not picking Toby makes us concede we can’t and won’t win.... and who knows maybe a few extra people rock up if he’s playing....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Excuse the intrusion but plenty of seats behind the goals, furthest end from entry - even 10 mins before the game. (maybe not front row)
RFC pre game function on from 3.30pm.

It's a good ground to watch a game. You get to have a kick on the ground after the game and the Giants fans are good.

I'll show myself out.

Excuse the intrusion but plenty of seats behind the goals, furthest end from entry - even 10 mins before the game. (maybe not front row)
RFC pre game function on from 3.30pm.

It's a good ground to watch a game. You get to have a kick on the ground after the game and the Giants fans are good.

I'll show myself out.
You're not intruding. We get there will be Tigers fans there. Both Sydney residents and travelling. It helps the atmosphere.

I largely agree here

Toby needs to come back if fit. He has been training for weeks so the foot should be right. He is a match winner
After watching Leon's interview I would back Toby to play. It might be too big a risk to take two fresh players so maybe Hopper and Toby in. Lloyd, Daniels and Deledio to the NEAFL. Leon's pretty upfront to me and you can get clues from watching him closely.
There's seven rounds to go and he'll run up to speed quicker in the one's anyway.
I hope we keep a full bench to maximize his chances to get a breather when he needs it though.

I’d be making four change this weekend. If we don’t jag a win this weekend then finals is a long shot so might as well load up on the stars. Greene, Deledio, Hopper and Kennedy all in to the side. Out of the side: Perryman (injured), Finlayson (needs more defensive effort, less looking for free kicks and cheap possessions), Reid ( surely his time is up) and either Langdon (been a bit down last few games) or Daniels (looked really good early but faded).

This side will beat Richmond:

Shaw Davis Kennedy
Whitfield Taylor Haynes
Kelly Ward Taranto
Shiel Tomlinson De Boer
Langdon/Daniels Lobb Greene
Simpson Coniglio Hopper

Griffen HH Corr Deledio

Meanwhile you have Himmelberg who has good agility and can mark it burning more opportunities than a Victorian bushfire. What do you do with someone like him who clearly has athleticism but low footskills and bad decision making?

If we don't win this week we may as well set up the tent and forget about 2018. Put everyone into surgery that needs it and concentrate on the best start to next year. So the only reason to put Greene back in for this game is if he is very close to 100%, which I believe he is.

We are clearly winning enough ball and getting it into the forward line in dangerous positions the problem is with conversion. So I agree with you, get everyone who even steps foot into the f50 to practice hundreds of shots at goal this week. If nothing else. Our conversion rate is atrocious and approaching St Kilda / Bottom 4 levels. Even without Greene and Cameron in the team there is no way it should be that bad. We should expect a certain standard in the team when it comes to foot skills.

Richmond coming off the 8 day break v the 6 day break for the Giants and the return from Optus stadium will have a few of the boys sore for this game but I can see at least 3 changes for the game and I think the Tigers will be making 4 changes
My team for this clash, Deledio might play reserves IMO
Out Taylor Perryman Daniels
Taylor has had a good run but i think the experience of Buntine will help and Richmond might play 2 talls and then the strong mids forward in Caddy, Martin and Cotchin (Taylor a chance to stay in and TOJ to be omitted is another possibility) Perryman injured and Daniels omitted for the returning Greene
In Buntine Kennedy Hopper

Shaw Davis Buntine
Whitfield Corr Haynes
Shiel Ward Kelly
TT Tomlinson MDB
Langdon Lobb Greene
Simpson Hopper Coniglio
Griffen Kennedy Reid TOJ

Meanwhile you have Himmelberg who has good agility and can mark it burning more opportunities than a Victorian bushfire. What do you do with someone like him who clearly has athleticism but low footskills and bad decision making?
Tobes was just as bad in the beginning.

O can remember screaming to him to just handpass it because his kicking and decisions were woeful.

Going gangbusters now.

Not saying HH will improve that much but we have a lot to work with.

Big and can mark so maybe down the back?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Tobes was just as bad in the beginning.

O can remember screaming to him to just handpass it because his kicking and decisions were woeful.

Going gangbusters now.

Not saying HH will improve that much but we have a lot to work with.

Big and can mark so maybe down the back?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
I'm not saying he won't come good but right now he is burning us badly up there. His errors and missed shots would have won us the game, but of course plenty of others made similar mistakes. We have seen with other teams that a missing goals culture can start to creep in and become commonplace and that looks like what is happening to us.

I'd like to see some decent coaching given to these guys and plenty of foot skill practice. Hopefully with Greene back in the team and hopefully converting well it may take some of the mental pressure of some of the players burning the ball badly. Season on the line with this game.

If we don't win this week we may as well set up the tent and forget about 2018. Put everyone into surgery that needs it and concentrate on the best start to next year. So the only reason to put Greene back in for this game is if he is very close to 100%, which I believe he is.

We are clearly winning enough ball and getting it into the forward line in dangerous positions the problem is with conversion. So I agree with you, get everyone who even steps foot into the f50 to practice hundreds of shots at goal this week. If nothing else. Our conversion rate is atrocious and approaching St Kilda / Bottom 4 levels. Even without Greene and Cameron in the team there is no way it should be that bad. We should expect a certain standard in the team when it comes to foot skills.
Training time is quite limited. For example, on a 6 day break players will only train for 20-30 minutes in the main session. Their kicking for goal is also limited. It changes from player to player but during the week a forward might be limited to say 30
Shots at goal by the physios

Even so, I would argue the missed shots are more a mental thing than a muscle memory or technique thing

Training time is quite limited. For example, on a 6 day break players will only train for 20-30 minutes in the main session. Their kicking for goal is also limited. It changes from player to player but during the week a forward might be limited to say 30
Shots at goal by the physios

Even so, I would argue the missed shots are more a mental thing than a muscle memory or technique thing
Well the thing that separates a great player from an average player is probably the fact they don't only train when at official training, especially if they aren't an A level star that already has it all. ie If I was Himmelberg (and a variety of other GWS players) I would be trying to get my footskills up regardless of what is happening at official training sessions, the reason being that I would make more money and create more success for my team. Does anyone think Gary Ablett or Steve Johnson got good at kicking the ball thanks to their genetics? You see them practice trick shots and all sorts of things regularly. Maybe the lack of S.J. at training egging on his teammates to try to beat him with trick shots is part of the reason we converted worse in 2017.

If anyone here watched Callan Wards first shot on goal on the weekend he was actually very accurate even though he missed it. The ball landed directly behind the goal, in the center, in the crowd. ie He was aiming like a teammate was behind the goal. The problem was before it got there it swung right and was a behind. Experienced goal kickers know this about their arc and aim slightly more to the left when on an angle, things like this seem to be missing a bit from the players who don't routinely shoot at goal.

Last edited:
The midfield got beaten by the Eagles midfield, and that was ultimately where we lost the game. Control the contest more - even if just in the last quarter - and we would have won despite any goalkicking inaccuracies or umpire issues. Of course, even with losing the midfield battle, we could have won if we shot straight. Tigers will be more formidable, but if we want to make finals, the team just need to put all of those things together and get it right on the night. Midfield need to tackle lots, and win >50% of the clearances. Plus kick intelligently into the F50, as that's where Tiges rule the roost in preventing goals and starting their counterattack. We seemed to rotate HH & Tommo through F50 against the Eagles, and Tommo especially did well. HH did at times, but blew some with his WTF decisions - cannot do those things 2 weeks in a row! Both actually have reasonable ground ball skills, which is important against the Tigers; but so is the decision-making. Someone possibly to stick on Rance and try to negate his intercepting (almost like a defender on a KPF), then rely on smalls to pounce and score?

With the Tiges having a smaller forward line, I really think we need to go smaller, so Adam Kennedy should come in - he can handle both one on one defence and can kickstart a counterattack from D50 - for one of the talls: ToJ or Sammy Taylor really the only options, depending on how the MC thinks they match up on the other defenders. I think he's a better fit than Bunts. With Perryman out injured, Hopper should come straight back into the midfield. If Toby returns I guess it's for one of Daniels or Langdon: Zac has been quiet the last couple of weeks, so maybe he needs a less intense NEAFL game and allow Brent a second week. Unless MC omit Sam Reid, but I think he gets retained for his experience, and because I'm not sure our forward line will work with 3 smalls (Greene, Zac, Daniels).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back