Preview Round 18 Early Thoughts - Sydney vs Richmond

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

you don't have top 20 picks because you generally trade them away for mature recruits who are no longer there. not saying its a bad strategy, as 2 flags attest, but it tends to produce the data you have above

kinnear,stevens vezpremi,tippet,d okeefe,ball,johnstone,shaw,mcveigh rohan,paul williams, bolton,richards willowby,fitzgerald jetta davis,hall (twice),jolly,lamb,jack, towers?...........

more than 4 anyway

Scott Stevens, Kurt Tippett, Jason Ball, Rhyce Shaw, Paul Williams, Craig Bolton, Darren Jolly, Jed Lamb, Kieren Jack and Dean Towers weren't Top 20 Picks however so your point is moot.

Try again

Why woudl you leave them out? Becasue it makes your case look stronger? Whether or not he was oflloaded as a fringe player or not, he was a top 12 draft pick.
you also have forgotten that a number of the picks you refer to were in compromised drafts, so it really isn't accurate or fair.
For instance, Conca was effectively pick 18 not 6, as GWS were granted access to best 12 17 yo's the years before. Assuming they got their picks reasonably right, pick 6 the next year isn't really pick 6. A similair thing happened with Ellis at pick 15 in his year

WE also have a good number of reclyled players doing well. Btw..we got low picks because we have been a bootom side for a decade or more. You get 9% more in the salary cap despite Perth being a very expensive place to live, they get no relief. Why don't adelaide get less in the salary cap given it s os cheap to live? this rule only applies to Sydney

No, you're right, lets be completely fair and accurate:

3 top 3 picks

Deledio
Cotchin
Martin

6 top 10 picks

Conca
Vlastuin
Vickery

11 12 top 20 picks

Riewoldt
Rance
Petterd
Grigg
Chaplin
Ellis

Italicised is Players the Tigers drafted (plus Oakley-Nicholls; the less said about him, the better), Underlined is the ones who came from a compromised draft. So that number of picks coming from compromised drafts you mentioned?

Two. Coincidentally, the two you mentioned in your comment.

Shut up, stop mentioning the COLA and realise that at some point recruiting comes into play here. Many of us are glad to see your lot back in finals contention and doing well, don't spoil that by being a flog on our board.

Epically as the ressies are not playing this week by not giving him will just leave him behind. If he's close enough than he's on the Sub bench. BJ goes back with a lot of kudos but still an improvement list.

Have to agree. Shaw for B.Jack is the move for this week with Cunningham getting a full game as his run and pace to be a useful tool.

11 12 top 20 picks

Riewoldt
Rance
Petterd
Grigg
Chaplin
Ellis

don't think grigg should be there, we traded a 4th or 5th rounder for him in collins
likewise chaplin did not cost a top 20 pick

robbieando - the truth lies somewhere in between, my knowledge of sydney trades is not great, it was a quick stab

don't think grigg should be there, we traded a 4th or 5th rounder for him in collins

robbieando - the truth lies somewhere in between, my knowledge of sydney trades is not great, it was a quick stab

Still drafted in the top 20 which was the original point of the discussion. I could take the three not originally drafted off if you'd prefer? (leaving you with 9 top 20 picks)

This stems back from original position players were drafted in, not for what was traded to bring them in. If it was only on traded in players I'm pretty sure we didn't have anyone playing last week who we have traded in for a top twenty pick asides from Richards

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd just like to point out that (as I'm sure you are aware) the Sydney Swans/South Melbourne Bloods have been around a tad longer than 1982 (since 1874). Largely well before the majority of us were alive to witness it, our clubs have had a couple of great rivalries with the GFs of 1933 & 1934 the highlights. In fact, Richmond holds the very clear advantage over us (103-83) in matches won with only 1 draw (1937). The odds confirm what I believe many of us Swans supporters feel in so far as we should never write off Richmond as they are one of those teams that tend to match up very well on us and surprise us more often than not.

Should be a ripping game and am looking foward to seeing a tough contest. Good luck.

Have to say, very classy way to point out (and fair enough too) that the Bloods have been around since 1874 and were a foundation club when the VFL was formed. I don't think Perthboy87 meant any disrespect and I think it's a touch unfair that others have gone for the throat when reminding him of what I think was an innocent omission.

You sir, have my respect as does your team.

What was the result last time we played them at the SCG?

Depends on what view you took from it .... It was a Football Lesson for the Tigers, If I remember rightly we hardly scored for the first three quarters and Sydney went on a rampage.

This is your game to lose, your a better side, bat deeper , in form and on your home ground. If it doesn't rain your three+ tall forward options on the SCG will be involved in everything all day.

I just want a good quality game that we aren't out of it by three quarter time.

Shut up, stop mentioning the COLA and realise that at some point recruiting comes into play here. Many of us are glad to see your lot back in finals contention and doing well, don't spoil that by being a flog on our board.

Part of our reason for being a chance to play finals is following the Sydney "under appreciated" talent recruiting policy. Your players still had to make the same salary sacrifices everyone else did to stay together, your recruiting got them there.

Still drafted in the top 20 which was the original point of the discussion. I could take the three not originally drafted off if you'd prefer? (leaving you with 9 top 20 picks)
Can I join in this petty argument, Josh Kennedy was a F/S selection for Hawthorn and was touted as a 10-20 pick, so he could be classified as a high pick. Mitchell is another F/S that would've been a top 10 pick, and marginally escapes the pick 20 cutoff by 1 pick anyway. All this aside, there's no doubt you've selected and developed your later picks better than any club in the last decade. I wish we could nail some stars with our late picks, though players like King, Jackson and White are playing career best footy, and Grimes, Newman and Tucky are also solid contributors.

I knew Richmond supporters would be up and about (Caro on FC last night) after beating an undermanned Freo but god damn!:eek:

The Swans have been in the competition longer than Richmond sunshine.

Notwithstanding it was the Richmond chairman who moved the motion to send us to Sydney the original club didn’t die and if you want to sprout that crap here I’m quite tonight to leave you to the wolves.

bedford baja lock33 go to town.

I could get stuck into them but their mediocre at best results over the last 30yrs speaks for itself I wont begrudge them a little excitement of making the finals this year, good for them god bless their little pea hearts, they are kinda like chihuahua 's that look in the mirror this time of year and see a snarling tiger they will get sorted out when the tough stuff starts and will run away with their tails between their legs as they have for over 30yrs..

However saying that, this has been the most entertaining game preview thread I have read from genuine Tiger supporters with great insight and including the usual the pot shots from the pea heart supporters they are still entertaining and should be encouraged you cant get a word in on the Richmond board without the threat of a card the insecure nuff nuff's they are over there, like your style CAS79..:thumbsu:

Having had Deledio in my DreamTeam for most of the year I've paid close attention to him and all we need is to put Bird or O'Keefe within a metre of him just before the bounce and he turns to s**t.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back