Preview Round 18 - Essendon Bombers vs Geelong Cats - Saturday, July 15th - 7:25 pm - GMHBA Stadium

Did anyone notice I kept forgetting to add a poll?

• No, because polls are stupid

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • Yes, we love the polls. Polls for everyone

Votes: 9 16.4%
  • Hobbs reminds me to Selwood, but with a bit more forward nous.

Votes: 14 25.5%
  • Tomahawk has the best nickname in the AFL.

Votes: 6 10.9%
  • No to Fantasia. We need to look forward not backward. Upward, not forward.

Votes: 16 29.1%
  • And always twirling, twirling, twirling towards victory.

Votes: 23 41.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

silk

Premium Platinum
Sep 10, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
This week sees Essendon travel down the highway to face the reigning premiers at their true home ground. I can see why Geelong are happy as Larry to be able ot play us at home. We are guaranteed to help ensure the crowd is big, but we are also likely to be considered a good chance for a win... but... just maybe.. that's the old Essendon...

To be honest, I'm not confident, and that's simply because of Jordan "*en" Ridley! He is possibly our most important player at the moment. His disposal is elite, he's an offensive weapon when we need him, but he is also our best defender and has taken down some big names this year. And of course, Geelong on the other hand is relative health and will be expecting Jeremy Cameron to return after missing the game against North with a concussion.
we'll figure it out season 5 GIF by MasterChef Junior

The Round That Was

Yes, this should have been a 30+ win instead of the 18 points it was, but overall we were the much better team for most of the game, despite what the channel 7 commentators would have had you believe. If we were a little bit more accurate and a little bit composed the score would have been different.

ill take it scream queens GIF

One thing I noticed during the week when I accidentally clicked on the comments for Champion Data's AA team on that Cesspool that is Facebook; was the absolute disrespect for Nik Martin for being included in the team, and most of that was from Crom fans because of their boy Dawson was missing. Now I'm not here to disrespect Dawson, or to claim he isn't AA-worthy, but I'm glad today those Crowbots got to see first-hand how good Nik Martin is, and why he is the AA wingman. 28 Disposals, 9 Marks, 2 Goals, and this wasn't even one of his better games.
ESSENDON 7.6 12.9 14.13 17.13 (115)
ADELAIDE 5.1 7.2 9.5 15.7 (97)

GOALS
Essendon: Wright 3, Langford 3, Menzie 2, Guelfi 2, Martin 2, Redman, Merrett, Hobbs, Kelly, Stringer
Adelaide: Pedlar 2, Keays 2, Rankine 2, Walker 2, Thilthorpe, McHenry, Fogarty, Jones, Smith, Sloane, Murphy

BEST (According to AFL.com.au - I would have it different)
Essendon: Parish, Merrett, Wright, McGrath, Zerk-Thatcher, Heppell, Laverde
Adelaide: Laird, O'Brien, Dawson, Hinge, Smith

INJURIES
Essendon: Ridley (knee)
Adelaide: Nil

SUBSTITUTES
Essendon: Dylan Shiel (replaced Jordan Ridley in the third quarter)
Adelaide: Harry Schoenberg (replaced Jake Soligo in the third quarter)

Crowd: 39,606 at Marvel Stadium

Geelong on the other hand made light work of North Melbourne who put in another underwhelming performance since trying their precious little hearts out to beat us.

GEELONG 8.5 11.5 14.8 19.11 (125)
NORTH MELBOURNE 2.0 2.4 5.7 9.9 (63)

GOALS
Geelong: Stengle 5, O.Henry 4, Hawkins 3, Close 3, Rohan, J.Henry, Duncan, Bowes
North Melbourne: Larkey 2, Davies-Uniacke 2, Tucker, Stephenson, Perez, Harvey, Ford

BEST
Geelong: Duncan, Atkins, Stengle, Stewart, Blicavs, O.Henry, Miers
North Melbourne: Davies-Uniacke, McKay, Greenwood, Xerri

INJURIES
Geelong: Nil
North Melbourne: Logue (knee), Simpkin (concussion)

LATE CHANGES
Geelong: Nil
North Melbourne: George Wardlaw (managed) replaced in selected side by Charlie Lazzaro

SUBSTITUTES
Geelong: Oliver Dempsey (replaced Mark Blicavs in third quarter)
North Melbourne: Jack Ziebell (replaced Griffin Logue in first quarter)

The Last Time We Met

Season 2 GIF by Law & Order

We actually played ok against Geelong last time, except that we showed up about 20 minutes too late. By this time Geelong had already kicked 6 goals, which was ultimately a deficiency we could not overcome. Weidemann had a bit of a false dawn, where he kicked 5 goals and suddenly we thought we had gotten the bargain of the trade period. Unfortunately is was also a game that exposed our lack of height and size in defence, with many of Geelong's goals coming from centre clearance.. a trend which would show in other games going forward such as the Freo Game.

The Selection Table

Very hard to predict this week, with the VFL team having the Bye.

Possible Outs:
Shiel - Please stop playing him as sub - Get him fit in the VFL and make him earn his spot back. He sure as hell ain't pushing Hobbs out of this team now.
Philips - Will he get a week for that bump? Wasn't a very heavy knock, but it was too the head
Ridley - shudders On one hand we can't afford to have him out, on the other hand we need to protect him. Give him the week off IMO. Even against "easier" teams he is essential.
Snelling - I like Snelling's pressure and effort, but I would prefer to bring Davey or Walla in for some more pace and class.
Weidemann - It won't happen, especially is Philips is out, but he is really underperforming.

Possible Ins:
Bryan - Essential if Philips is out, but I say bring him in for Weid regardless
Davey - Brings a bit of extra pace, which I feel we need
Walla - If not Davey
Monty/Hind/Mass - One of these will come in for Rid's, just a matter of which. Hind seems the closest, but Monty is a great intercept mark, which will miss with Ridley out.

My Tip

If this was at Marvel I'd tip us.. hesitantly.. but as it's at Alphabet Soup Park, I'm tipping Geelong by 18 points.

OUT: Ridley, Weideman
IN: Monty, Bryan

Team;-

Monty Margaret Kelly
Redman Lav McGrath
Martin Parish Durham
Perkins Stringer Menzie
Langford 2MP Guelfi

Phillips Hobbs Merrett

Bench: Caldwell Snelling Heppell Bryan

If Ridley is out then I’d bring in Baldwin. Although he might be OK, with it just being a hyperextension and no structural damage.
The reason I didn't include Baldwin is he didn't play VFL last week so I have no idea if he is healthy.

Do we think Draper is good to go? Haven’t heard much word on him

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

In: Draper/Byran and Baldwin
Out: Phillips + Ridley

Strongly considering Cox over Baldwin but i think Hawkins and Rohan means we go Baldwin (Jezza?)

Out: Ridley (inj), flip (susp), Shiel (not a sub, needs some VFL mins now before he comes back)

In: Baldwin, Bryan/Draper

Lav - Baldwin - Kelly
Redman - zerk - McGrath
Martin - Hobbs - Durham
Langford - weid - guelfi
Menzie - wright - stringer
Bryan/Draper - parish - Merrett
Caldwell - Snelling - Heppell - Perkins
Cox

Be interesting how we go with the kick/uncontested mark game at GMHBA

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The biggest problem we had the last time we played Geelong is that we don't have a monster back who can play on monster forwards like Tomahawk. That has not changed. Geelong by 26

Flips been very good for Essendon lately.
Bryan just hasn't been good enough and it seems Draper will be out a lot longer still.

So that leaves... Bryan playing again?
We should rest Ridley and bring in Baldwin, whos hopefully not injured.

In: Bryan, Tippa/Tex, Baldwin
Out: Phillips(susp), Ridley (inj), Shiel.

Weidemann should be dropped but won't be.

Weid to Hawkins? The only guy who has the size to match really other than 2MP and a ruck. If he can prove that he can defend then he becomes instantly way more valuable.

The biggest problem we had the last time we played Geelong is that we don't have a monster back who can play on monster forwards like Tomahawk. That has not changed. Geelong by 26

Eh, we didn't have Laverde which was a big factor. Also didn't have Wright. I think we're a little more settled in this time around.

Also we got pumped early and played catch up the rest of the match, almost gave them a scare if it weren't for a few unforced errors but finished with a respectable score. We also won centre clearances but lost at the stoppages. Tackles were off. Feel like we've improved on both since.

However it is GMHBA and add the fact that we hardly ever play there, it's basically new turf. Unfamiliar territory, coming off a pretty bruise-free match V the Kangas. It'll very tough. I expect to lose, but I'd say we should be a little more eager this time than last time.

Last edited:
However it is GMHBA and it's Geelong's home ground. Add the fact that we haven't played there at all for decades, it's basically new turf. Unfamiliar territory, coming off a pretty bruise-free match V the Kangas. It'll very tough. I expect to lose, but I'd say we should be a little more eager this time than last time.

We played them there back in 2021. We kicked the first four goals then they kicked the next 8 and that was pretty much it for the game

Sounds more likely than not that Cameron plays….if he does and Ridley is out then that’s a huge win for them.

Not sure who the next match up is…..BZT I guess but can’t really see him getting up and down the length of GMHBA with a fresh Jezza. Doesn’t feel like a gig for Baldwin either.

That aside, really looking forward to this. Huge challenge but seems like the boys are up for it.

Sounds more likely than not that Cameron plays….if he does and Ridley is out then that’s a huge win for them.

Not sure who the next match up is…..BZT I guess but can’t really see him getting up and down the length of GMHBA with a fresh Jezza. Doesn’t feel like a gig for Baldwin either.

That aside, really looking forward to this. Huge challenge but seems like the boys are up for it.
Baldwin on Hawkins
Zerk on Cameron
Laverde on Rohan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back