Round 18: Hawthorn vs Richmond - MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Well done to the Tigers. Shut down the way that Hawthorn play footy well.

I know its probably the umpteenth time this has been brought up but i don't have the time to stalk through 89 pages to find an answer so my question is "Is Richmond Hawthorn's bogey team?" 3 wins from the last 4 occasions now.

Has to be I reckon. Wouldn't have thought Hawks would have taken the game lightly considering the recent history between the sides, the fact Richmond are a better side now than last time we played them and with top 2 on the line.

The annual belting by the tigers doesn't usually matter but this year with our early losses it has done a bit of damage.

I'm not really upset to be honest, better than being beaten by Sydney, Feeling or Essendon.

Reckon last night will be a good wake up call for Hawks albeit a very expensive one.

Not if we win the rest of our games and West Coast drop two

But now it's out of your hands. Win last night, and given you play us next week it was entirely within your control. You could still make top two, I don't think we'll go undefeated until September, but now you're relying on others to trip up.

You guys and freo will get it done. Hate having to rely on other results. That why last weeks result hurt.

But now it's out of your hands. Win last night, and given you play us next week it was entirely within your control. You could still make top two, I don't think we'll go undefeated until September, but now you're relying on others to trip up.

Yep, out of our control which sucks.

Nobody stirs up the Blues supporters like he does prior to round 1 every year.

I actually don't mind listening to him - makes me laugh how he gets callers riled up and his by play with Patrick smith and venom Denham (who I do dislike) and the Doc is always entertaining.

9-12 is the only time I refuse to listen to SEN. KB has got no idea

As already posted, I don't mind him. Don't think he takes himself as seriously as a lot of listeners seem to - lots of his comments are tongue in cheek.

It will be interesting to hear his comments regarding congestion this week when it's a tactic his beloved Tigers emoloyed effectively last night

The result saved the season and the Hawks were on the back foot right from the get go, this often happens after some easy big wins, it will be very interesting to see how they follow up against the Eagles in what will now be a season defining game for them. Top four is assured, but the Hawks need top two if they are to win this year's flag IMO. With two Perth teams at the top of the ladder just finishing top four is no guarantee for the Hawks of a GF berth let alone winning the thing. They might have to travel twice to WA in September? Now if they do that and win the flag, then they are the best side of the past 30 years! Everyone is waiting for the Eagles to fall over, they will need to lose twice in a row in Perth for the Hawks to pinch a top four spot. I don't see the Eagles losing both. Fremantle have 3 games on the Hawks and some tricky matches ahead against the Saints at Etihad, Eagles in Perth, North at Etihad and Port in Adelaide. The Hawks will be watching results very closely as they have got themselves in a bit of a pickle?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty harsh. He did spring straight to his feet looking to evade the next tackle, and only stopped because the free had been paid. I don't think it's fair to say he was playing for a free.

Yeah fair enough, on second viewing it looked like an evasive tactic. Likely would've been able to evade Newman if he'd stayed on his feet though.

Yeah fair enough, on second viewing it looked like an evasive tactic. Likely would've been able to evade Newman if he'd stayed on his feet though.

That's what I like about a win - the replay, to watch all those passages you miss at the time. A Friday night loss just makes it a s**t weekend.

I was though amused by the number of texts I got from eagle supporter friends - * me they have short memories

The result saved the season and the Hawks were on the back foot right from the get go, this often happens after some easy big wins, it will be very interesting to see how they follow up against the Eagles in what will now be a season defining game for them. Top four is assured, but the Hawks need top two if they are to win this year's flag IMO. With two Perth teams at the top of the ladder just finishing top four is no guarantee for the Hawks of a GF berth let alone winning the thing. They might have to travel twice to WA in September? Now if they do that and win the flag, then they are the best side of the past 30 years! Everyone is waiting for the Eagles to fall over, they will need to lose twice in a row in Perth for the Hawks to pinch a top four spot. I don't see the Eagles losing both. Fremantle have 3 games on the Hawks and some tricky matches ahead against the Saints at Etihad, Eagles in Perth, North at Etihad and Port in Adelaide. The Hawks will be watching results very closely as they have got themselves in a bit of a pickle?

Some of those early losses are starting to hurt. It's not an ideal scenario to have to rely on other results. If Hawthorn can respond as can be reasonably expected given their record next week and grab a win they will be relying on Freo to do the right thing and beat their great rivals the following week. People are saying that if the Hawks don't get a top two spot they are likely to have to go to Perth twice which would be a bridge too far. That scenario is assuming that the Hawks lose that first final to either of the Western Aussies which is far from certain. If the Hawks can go to Perth and defeat the Eagles next week they would be feeling confident about a return bout if that is their fate. If they get mauled by WC it would be a tough old job heading back there agin. Not impossible, but hard.

Thought Lewis had no real impact, then saw he had 32 touches?

Conca genuinely surprised me, thought he was finsihed as a footballer. Needs to get undisciplined acts out of his game still, but definitely has more of a chance to "make it" than I'd seen previously.

HeraldSun today had,

3 - Miles
2 - Rance
1 - Lewis.

What ******* planet was the reviewer on? How could Deledio not get a vote???? He broke the game apart. He was the difference. Such an underrated football our Brett is.

I suppose if your forward doesn't kick a goal they see it as a job well done by Rance. Thought Miles and Lids were your best and then I'm having a wtf moment with lewis getting 1 - he got possessions but I don't think he impacted on the game but there are other Hawk supporters who thought he was BOG for the Hawks

HeraldSun today had,

3 - Miles
2 - Rance
1 - Lewis.

What ******* planet was the reviewer on? How could Deledio not get a vote???? He broke the game apart. He was the difference. Such an underrated football our Brett is.
Just lazy reporters reading the stat sheets. Lids played about the best 18 possession game you could see.

Soft yes but it was true Blaisee. They were 2 games ahead of us and were and are pretty much locked for the 4. We were not. They were coming off a huge win. We were coming off a disappointing defeat having outplayed the ladder toppers.

I have no problem admitting it was a bigger game for us. ladder reality dictated that. Hs comment whlst admittedly a bit of an effort at deflection was still nonetheless true.

That's rubbish

They lose to west coast next week and they could find themselves in 5th

Remove this Banner Ad

Back