Preview Round 18 - Melbourne Demons vs Brisbane Lions • Friday 14 July 2023 • 7:50 PM • MCG

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been one of Gunners biggest critics , if not the biggest , being a bit miffed that we ever signed him up

But I'm quite prepared to eat humble pie if I got it totally wrong.

Personally I don't see that he changed anything at all in our forward set up , nor did he contribute much at all .

But he looked fitter and more mobile on Saturday and he's obviously applied himself very diligently to his rehab ,he's been a great player so his ego has taken a hit ,and I take Nunez's point about his dad dying which was devastating for him.

It'd be great if he could bring something like that form against the better teams. I'm happy for him to have that chance. I remain to be convinced but still happy that he could be useful for us. At least he didn't throw in the towel and came back with renewed enthusiasm so full credit to him for that.
This is pretty much where Im at.

I dont think he has had a massive influence on our leading patterns and think if want a third tall we would be better off with a contested marking style player than another leading player.

His fitness did appear better against West Coast but I was only able to see it from on tv. But with how bad it got I also dont know if he will be able to keep it up for the next several weeks. On tv they also didnt show anything about his defensive work which was always the biggest concern. Thats what I'll be looking for on Friday night. I do hope Im wrong and he makes me eat humble pie and can be a threat for the rest of the year. Im a long way from convinced yet. T

Injury List

Josh Dunkley – calf – 1 week

Rhys Mathieson – hamstring – 1 week

Carter Michael – quad – 1 week

Noah Answerth – facial fracture – 4 weeks

James Madden – shoulder - TBC

The Brisbane Lions confirm midfielder Jarrod Berry is available for selection for Friday night’s clash with Melbourne at the MCG after proving his fitness at training on Tuesday.

Berry, who missed last week’s win against West Coast due to hamstring tightness, joins teammates Cal Ah Chee and Tom Fullarton as potential options for coach Chris Fagan.

Ah Chee sat out last weekend under concussion protocols, while Fullarton had been sidelined for the two weeks after injuring his hamstring.

The Lions will however be without midfielder Josh Dunkley who they are expecting to welcome back next week along with Rhys Mathieson (hamstring) and Carter Michael (quad).

The Club is currently consulting with James Madden to decide the best course of action for the Irish-born defender after suffering a shoulder injury in Saturday’s win over the Eagles.

Dunkley being out hurts a lot, so let’s just hope it turns out to be only the one more game. Mitigates Oliver being out for them though unfortunately.

Berry has obviously played well in the guts against them previously, but I wonder whether his body would handle it coming off the tight hamstring and whatever else he seems to carry. Not sure how I feel about JL in there defensively against them.

Edit. Does make you wonder wtf they were thinking trying to have him play through it in the second half against Tigers when the game was done at half time. May not have made any difference but I remember saying at the time he was buggered, so I have no idea why he continued.

Last edited:
Beat the Dees at the G last season with no Dunkley, and effectively no Oliver for them the second half courtesy of that hard Bez tag (and of course he’s not there this week, along with Fritsch, for whom the Lions have allowed him with the most goals of any club).

If it wasn’t for our record at the MCG I think we’d be slight faves. I’ll be disappointed if we don’t win this one to be truthful.

Not sure how I feel about JL in there defensively against them.
I'm quite sure how I feel about this: not very good.

B: Lester, Payne, Starcevich
HB: Coleman, Andrews, Wilmot
C: Berry, Neale, McCluggage
HF: Rayner, Hipwood, Bailey
F: Cameron, Daniher, McCarthy

Foll: McInerney, Ashcroft, Robertson

Int: McKenna, Fletcher, Zorko, Ah Chee

Sub: Fort or Fullarton

Ins: Berry, McCarthy, Ah Chee, Fort/Fullarton
Outs: Lyons, Gunston, Madden, Lohmann

Dunkley unavailable is a huge out for us, the defensive game of him and Jarryd Lyons are poles apart... my updated changes >

Outs- James Madden(inj), Jarryd Lyons(omit), Jaspa Fletcher(omit).

Ins- Callum Ah Chee, Lincoln McCarthy, Jarrod Berry.

I don't expect Lyons to be dropped so IMO it will be an extremely unlucky Robertson to go out instead... or they could leave Dev in and not bring Ah Chee back.

Dunkley being out hurts a lot, so let’s just hope it turns out to be only the one more game. Mitigates Oliver being out for them though unfortunately.

Berry has obviously played well in the guts against them previously, but I wonder whether his body would handle it coming off the tight hamstring and whatever else he seems to carry. Not sure how I feel about JL in there defensively against them.

Edit. Does make you wonder wtf they were thinking trying to have him play through it in the second half against Tigers when the game was done at half time. May not have made any difference but I remember saying at the time he was buggered, so I have no idea why he continued.

He was also pushing to go out no matter what because he didn’t want to get subbed out. He made it through the third quarter but I imagine he didn’t have a choice in being subbed after that. There wasn’t a whole lot of time to fully evaluate so I’m assuming doctors always take into account how the players feel.

Out: Madden, Lohmann

In: Berry, McCarthy

Sub: Fletcher or Robertson

Dunkley out sucks but we can still get it done. Gunston played himself into another game. Berry and McCarthy easy ins.

melbourne.jpg

PLAYERINJURYESTIMATED RETURN
Bayley Fritsch Foot 6-7 weeks
Michael Hibberd Kidney 1 week
Tom McDonald Ankle 3-5 weeks
Clayton Oliver Hamstring 2-3 weeks
Kye Turner Groin TBC
Updated: July 11, 2023

Early prognosis​

The club announced Oliver had a "complex" hamstring issue – the injury is located where the muscle attaches to the tendon – which will keep him out for a further 2-3 weeks. Fritsch (foot) is unlikely to be seen again until at least finals, however McDonald (ankle) is ramping up his training and could be back within a month. Harrison Petty (ribs) has been cleared to play this week.

Alison O'Connor

Looks like Lyons plays. He was clearly among our best against West Coast. We can’t afford to drop such an experienced disposal and tackling machine like Lyons.

I agree re defensive concern re Lyons. But Dunkley is not a racehorse and Lyons is a decent tackler.

I have a view that you need 3-4 mids that consistently get 25 or so possessions.

Late last year we basically had just Neale and clugga, with zorko and lyons having dropped off.

This year we added Dunkley and at times Ashcroft. Problem with Ashcroft is he at this stage is much less likely to get 25+ away from home.

So if we drop Lyons it’s just neale and clugga again.

If we are really worried about run, Robertson or Ah Chee play sub and can swap with Lyons at half time if it’s not working.

Or back JL and play Fort sub.

Other changes Berry for Madden.

Linc for the unlucky dev who really should have played more on-ball v eagles

With Dunkley out, there is no way Lyons gets dropped with these numbers. He also had the Number 1 pressure rating for Brisbane. We are playing a fellow Top 4 club and Lyons is in great form. We need him in the side.
IMG_6330.png
IMG_6331.png

I think Lyons has to stay if Dunks is out, and possibly Robertson to sub in case he has a stinker. Though I reckon Fages will back him and put Fort as sub to provide a second ruck late in the game.

Quietly confident on this one, I think it will be a low scoring affair but I think our defence vs their forwards is stronger than their defence vs our forwards - we just have too many routes to goal.

Lions by 18

I think Lyons has to stay if Dunks is out, and possibly Robertson to sub in case he has a stinker. Though I reckon Fages will back him and put Fort as sub to provide a second ruck late in the game.

Quietly confident on this one, I think it will be a low scoring affair but I think our defence vs their forwards is stronger than their defence vs our forwards - we just have too many routes to goal.

Lions by 18
I'll be disappointed if we lose this. The Demons have been below par with low energy efforts compared to their halcyon days 2 years ago. Oliver's not there . Petracca is but a shadow though still playing good games. Fritsch always killed us. He's not playing. Max is nothing remotely near the colossus he was and Grundy isn't particularly effective. The May/Lever thing has been countered effectively by most clubs.

You can't take them lightly because they have many other good players but they'll need to have a night out to beat us. This is ours to take , just need to bring our A game.

I'm bullish on this game and that's saying something because as a rule, I suffer a sense of dread for our away games, especially in Melbourne and extra-especially when we are playing at the G.

I'm trusting our boys to really make a statement here against what has been a pretty ordinary Melbourne outfit over the last 4-5 weeks.

Washcroft is overdue for a big one away from the Gabba and I'm tipping him to tear them a new one

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back