VFL Round 19 - Collingwood vs Port Melbourne at Victoria Park (Pies WON 84-68, Cloke kicks 5, replay OP)

Remove this Banner Ad

Wow imagine how good the team will be when Crocker, Phillips, Marsh, Goldsack and Wills come in for finals.
Yep, all those young boys will have some serious fun coming back to the VFL after feeling the heat at AFL level.

How did Williams respond to being omitted?
I watched the game on live stream after half time and Williams was our most prolific ball-winner in the last quarter. Saved us in defence on several occasions in the last with his dashing runs and (for the most part) accurate disposal. Certainly seemed to respond well after being dropped. TV commentators had him in their best 3.

Had to leave mid last quarter, grand kids had a ten pin bowling party.:(

I had the pleasure of meeting Anzacday , Vicky Park , Magpie Girl and Clokes favourite fan in PicaBoo :p

Had a great day today.......we got the job done. 11 in a row is an awesome effort.

Get on board the Tapping Train........this bloke can Coach.
I was at the 3 Qtr time huddle his message is simple and to the point. The boys responded.

By the way at the 1st Qtr huddle I met up with someone who has a close contact in the inner sanctum.
We both agreed how good it felt to walk into this ground. Great memories I suppose.

We didn't speak long as he went to speak to a Pies official but he said we will be getting someone from GWS and it will involve Witts. Unfortunately didn't have enough time to get more details.
I mentioned to him that we should get Monky back at the Club but he said he is loyal to Clarkson and has given him his word. Can't blame him for staying there.

Go Tapping.......Go Cloke.......I love Victoria Park! :sparklingheart:

I had the pleasure of meeting Anzacday , Vicky Park , Magpie Girl and Clokes favourite fan in PicaBoo :p

Had a great day today.......we got the job done. 11 in a row is an awesome effort.

Get on board the Tapping Train........this bloke can Coach.
I was at the 3 Qtr time huddle his message is simple and to the point. The boys responded.

By the way at the 1st Qtr huddle I met up with someone who has a close contact in the inner sanctum.
We both agreed how good it felt to walk into this ground. Great memories I suppose.

We didn't speak long as he went to speak to a Pies official but he said we will be getting someone from GWS and it will involve Witts. Unfortunately didn't have enough time to get more details.
I mentioned to him that we should get Monky back at the Club but he said he is loyal to Clarkson and has given him his word. Can't blame him for staying there.

Go Tapping.......Go Cloke.......I love Victoria Park! :sparklingheart:
WHE I'm guessing as a straight swap for Witts, or maybe an exchange of draft picks too, to sweeten the deal? I know Witts was raised in Sydney, but I thought he wanted to stay in Melbourne.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

WHE I'm guessing as a straight swap for Witts, or maybe an exchange of draft picks too, to sweeten the deal? I know Witts was raised in Sydney, but I thought he wanted to stay in Melbourne.

Sounds about right T M......didn't get all the details but I will share once I do.

By the way did I tell you how much I Love Victoria Park :D

Was a great win. They really pressured us in the last and we held on.

Cloke will be the story, 5 goals 0 is fantastic. He marked basically everything and kicked well. He also did little things, including a massive tackle at the start of the match. There was a few contests up the ground that he got too. They were terrified of him and double teamed him whenever they could.

Williams started poorly, but came back into it. He reads the ball well and several times in the last half where he ran out of the backline with so much composure.

Witts was good, he really was the dominant force in the middle. He was using his body much more than I have seen in the AFL. A couple of times he got outworked. He also wrapped up a kid half his size in the crunching tackle which was good to see. He used his height in the backline and midfield. Considering how young and inexperienced he is, I would keep him on the list. He could take another year or so, but he could be really good

MacAffer is great at the VFL level. I wouldn't keep him on the AFL list, I think the game has gone past him He would make a great dedicated VFL player/coach if he was keen.

Frost was solid. I don't know why he cops it so much. He is solid one on one and can control the backline. The only time he looks off is when there is a fast break and he is stuck between two players.

Tapping is a great coach. You can see what the team is doing in terms of game plan and tweaks it well when he needs to. His forwards work hard to smother the ball in. I would really push to get him an assistant or forward coach. We can't lose him.

Sorry I cant make drinks, I should meet people one day.

Sounds about right T M......didn't get all the details but I will share once I do.

By the way did I tell you how much I Love Victoria Park :D
Me too. I used to haunt the place in the 80s. Had my favourite spot in the pocket/wing on the western side of the ground. it's now an open grassed area I've noticed. I remember watching a young Daicos weave his magic in the reserves there on many an occasion.

I'm a bit over the whole Travis conversation. But how has his body let him down? Surely your not going to afford him that excuse. He's been very resilient and I suggest his problems are a lot more mental than physical.

You are correct in terms of his body. He is resilient and I think he has another two or three years of decent footy ahead. It would seem that Tapping is able to get more out of him than Bucks. I fully expect Trav's next coach to motivate him to succeed, particularly if it is Clarkson.

You are correct in terms of his body. He is resilient and I think he has another two or three years of decent footy ahead. It would seem that Tapping is able to get more out of him than Bucks. I fully expect Trav's next coach to motivate him to succeed, particularly if it is Clarkson.
Whoever gets him will get him at a steal and he will show us up big time. In a way I hope he remains and gives it one more go. He just needs to be hungry like he was today and he will be alright

Whoever gets him will get him at a steal and he will show us up big time. In a way I hope he remains and gives it one more go. He just needs to be hungry like he was today and he will be alright

But can Bucks able to do that?

Tapping is a great coach. You can see what the team is doing in terms of game plan and tweaks it well when he needs to. His forwards work hard to smother the ball in. I would really push to get him an assistant or forward coach. We can't lose him.

Sorry I cant make drinks, I should meet people one day.

Yep

All I want us to do in the future is swear off first year line coaches

I don't care where we get them from: VFL / Country leagues / long serving AFL assistants ---- just make sure they have experience and can convey a message.

Staggers me that clubs who are essentially millions of dollars industries employ so many first year, recently retired players as coaches

Last edited:
But can Bucks able to do that?
Cloke just needs to start the year well. It's all between his ears. I think he had to come to grips with the fact that he is not automatic selection anymore. It would of been a big shock and adjustment for him. I think he is over that shock now and should perform from here on in.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back