Round 19 - Fremantle vs Carlton @ PS

Remove this Banner Ad

Carlton's 6th loss by 3 goals or less. Although we've won 2 close games (Adelaide and West Coast), we just don't have the composure to close out most of the games from a winning position.

The Blues actually kicked a third goal in that 3rd quarter not longer after I posted that, but it came without any input from Judd. It was Carlton's best period of the match. They were well on top and Juddy had been on the sidelines. Did this stop the commentators from crapping on about his leadership and how he was carrying the team? Nuh. :oops:

I was amazed to see David King award him the 3 votes. Unbelievable! Judd did nothing virtually nothing after half time. He received an ankle knock, spent a fair portion of the 3rd term getting treated and was basically invisible in the last quarter. Since when do players receive sympathy votes for copping a knock?

Nate Fyfe was clearly BOG. For Carlton, I thought Kade Simpson played a cracking game. Thomas ran hard. Yarran and Waite were really good. Curnow did a good job on Hill. Murphy got as much of the ball as Judd, for the same effectiveness, plus he kicked a couple of great goals. The thing is, he had to wear Crowley in his back pocket all evening.

Good signs from Judd. He moved around pretty well in the first half, but it's just bullshit the way some people have pumped him up as one of the best players on the ground. All night long it was Judd this, Judd that, Judd, Judd, Judd… And then some folks reckon I should give it a rest? Me?

1st half - Ineffective possessions
6 - Chris Judd, Sam Docherty
5 - David Mundy, Chris Yarran, Nick Suban, David Ellard
4 - Aaron Sandilands, Jarrad Waite
3 - Nat Fyfe, Marc Murphy, Tom Bell, Cameron Wood, Zac Dawson,
Ryan Crowley, Michael Johnson, Bryce Gibbs, Michael Barlow

1st half - Effective possessions
13 - Dale Thomas
11 - Michael Barlow
10 - Chris Judd, Lee Spurr
9 - Kade Simpson, Andrew Carrazzo
8 - Nat Fyfe, Marc Murphy, Paul Duffield, Luke McPharlin
7 - Tendai Mzungu, Zac Clarke, Garrick Ibbotson, Michael Jamison, Chris Yarran

2nd half - Ineffective possessions

6 - Marc Murphy
5 - Bryce Gibbs, Stephen Hill, Paul Duffield
4 - Dale Thomas, Lachie Henderson, Jarrad Waite, Danyle Pearce
3 - Chris Judd, Sam Docherty, Cameron Wood, Matt de Boer, Nick Suban, Lee Spurr, Nat Fyfe

2nd half - Effective possessions
14 - Nat Fyfe
10 - Kade Simpson, Dale Thomas
9 - Lachie Neale
8 - Michael Barlow, Lachie Henderson
7 - David Mundy, Andrew Carrazzo
6 - Bryce Gibbs, Jarrad Waite, Chris Yarran, Ed Curnow, Simon White,
Chris Mayne, Michael Johnson, Zac Dawson, Luke McPharlin
5 - Ryan Crowley, Zach Tuohy, Michael Jamison, Sam Docherty
4 - Stephen Hill, Danyle Pearce, Zac Clarke, Marc Murphy, Levi Casboult
3 - Chris Judd, David Ellard, Nick Graham, Cameron Wood,
Nick Suban, Lee Spurr, Garrick Ibbotson, Hayden Ballantyne, Aaron Sandilands

you seem to speak about judd more than the commentators do. sorry but he's taken...

If it's not that hard you can tell me what he did wrong.

You're missing the point, completely.

Crowley doesn't have to do anything wrong to be the stage villain. All he needs to do is be Ryan Crowley. Trying to get a sensible answer from a bunch of overy self entitled sooks is an exercise in futilily.

Its like Ballantyne. Constantly sniped by pea hearted cowards attacking from behind multiple time per game and its all fine because its Ballantyne but if he reacts, its weeks because its Ballantyne. I doubt last night's cheap shots will get looked at 'because its Ballantyne' but if they do it will be insufficient force.

Murphy put his pea heart and staging ways on full display last night for aall the world to see and nothing can fix that for him, especially amonst his peers. Dalziell and Stevic got shown up last night as well, Dalziell for the second week running. He must be running out of lives with the AFL pretty soon. Hopefully, if the game truly tarts to get professionl, people like him will be quietly moved on and forgotten.

Ludicrous, eh? To borrow your own words:

We all knows Crowleys game, if Murphy can exploit his image

So what you are suggesting is that Murphy is attempting to take advantage of a perception of Crowley as a dirty player? Or, to put it another way, he milks it / hams it up / plays for it (choose your preferred phrase). As I said, for a leader that is embarrassing.

For the record, I think Murphy is easily a good enough player to not need to resort to that s**t, especially as captain. Kade Simpson should be Blues captain anyway, as what he does on the field would inspire me, far more than Murphy.

Ludicrous, eh? To borrow your own words:

So what you are suggesting is that Murphy is attempting to take advantage of a perception of Crowley as a dirty player? Or, to put it another way, he milks it / hams it up / plays for it (choose your preferred phrase). As I said, for a leader that is embarrassing.

For the record, I think Murphy is easily a good enough player to not need to resort to that s**t, especially as captain. Kade Simpson should be Blues captain anyway, as what he does on the field would inspire me, far more than Murphy.

Do you choose who inspires you? Do you think Sam Rowe who wouldve seen a courages act from Simpson think to himself "gee I wish he was my Captain, I wouldve been inspired by that, instead I have to ignore it"? lol

Quit goo chugging over the 'captains role' in an AFL environment. Majority of the required leadership from the captain comes during the week days, setting the exmaples in training and carrying yourself as a professional.

Murphy puts his head over the ball more than any player on our list, and any player I can think of outside of it. He cops his reputation for being a softly spoken guy with a baby face. He wouldve spent over a year on the injury list due to injuries suffered from attacking the ball unwillingly and without self care and still does it every time the opportunity is there

You want to hag on the guy because he was playing on Crowley whos famous for niggling, pinching, scragging and holding around the stoppages, did a poor job on him. Murphy broke the tag in several ways, the first being winning the ball at stoppages, the second putting distance between him and Crowley by out running him, the third scoring goals, the fourth getting free kicks when the ball was neutral because Crowley was scragging him

You dont milk free kicks from a player standing beside you with his focus on the ball, you get them from guys pulling and throwing with you when the ball is dead. Thats Crowleys game and he should be punished more for it, and last night Murphy showed his experience in making sure Crowley wasnt able to effectively use those illegal tactics

But back to your inspiration point, dont worry, I'm sure they were all inspired by Simpsons efforts, regardless of whether he flips the coin at the start of the match

Murphy's a much tougher player than he looks and at his best is a gun, good on him for milking free kicks from Crowley last night and the umpires for paying them. No one goes to games to watch guys like Crowley scrag, block and harass more talented players, they go to games to watch the talented playmakers like Murphy, Judd, Fyfe and Ablett.

Last edited:
Murphy has a heart the size of a pea and is softer than warm butter, I actually burst out laughing when I first heard that he was made captain.

the problem with murphy is he's introverted. that's a terrible attribute for a leader. kade simpson was the ideal captain and everyone knew it.

but sides just appoint their best player captain because they don't understand that leadership is a tangible quality, which murphy has none of.

that overhit pass to yarran, would have been a goal before he became captain, but now he feels the need to over-share the footy and he's second guessing everything.

Crowley is still the scab of the competition...i'm amazed that this bloke actually gets a Game for a team striving to be top 4...very limited ability.
Meh. Go join the queue. There's a lot of oppo supporters that agree with you.

Ross lyon is a pretty smart coach. I think I'd back his thoughts on crowley's importance to how our team plays than some bloke on big footy.

The guy keeps getting picked. Keeps doing his job. Guys like you remain confused. Such is life.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Might be so but Murphy is definitely comedian of the night after he kicked a point when he and Yarran were literally the only players in your forward 50. Seriously Murphy could learn A LOT from Kade Simpson who is genuinely courageous and respected. Murphy's flopping tonight was downright embarrassing and not something you like to see a captain doing.
Literally - You Keep Using That Word, I Do Not Think It Means What You Think It Means.

Might be so but Murphy is definitely comedian of the night after he kicked a point when he and Yarran were literally the only players in your forward 50. Seriously Murphy could learn A LOT from Kade Simpson who is genuinely courageous and respected. Murphy's flopping tonight was downright embarrassing and not something you like to see a captain doing.

Crowley is s**t. You blokes shouldn't be so touchy when he's poked fun at.

Captains shouldn't spend so much time playing for frees. Embarrassing.

Nah. Embarrassing is you blokes getting all antsy over people criticising Crowley. He gave away a bunch of frees because the umps were all over his s**t tactics. I love seeing guys like Toovey and Crowley copping it from the umps. So what do you blokes do? Attack the ball player! Path-et-ic.

Eat s**t to him. If a tagger wants to turn around and hit a ball player, I don't much care what happens next, as long as the tagger cops it.

Hate blokes like this and I miss the days when a teammate would come in and simply knock this players head off if misbehaving.

So, based on your comments about s**t blokes copping it, you'd be fully supportive of a confirmed serial offending eye gouger, elbow thrower and chicken winger getting smacked around on the field wouldn't you? I mean surely you would else your comments would more than a little hypocritical. How do you feel about serial stagers like Murphy? Worth a good punch to the head is it? Surely you would also support Gibbs getting sorted out on the field for his dirty tactics on Ballantyne last night.

Glass houses, monkey boy, glass houses!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back