Round 2: St Kilda vs GWS @ Docklands

Remove this Banner Ad

Should have been 0-2 with a percentage of 60%. Very lucky two weeks in a row. 100 point defeat next week

You seem upset that we aren't quite capitulating like you thought we would. Sure we're clearly a bottom four team, but I'm pleased for the players that they've had a couple of wins given everyone spent the summer writing them off.

You seem upset that we aren't quite capitulating like you thought we would. Sure we're clearly a bottom four team, but I'm pleased for the players that they've had a couple of wins given everyone spent the summer writing them off.
I'll give them credit, but they've gotten lucky and I still see Melbourne and easily the Giants finishing ahead of St Kilda.

Did people really not expect the Saints to 2-0 heading into the pre-season when their 1st 2 games were the Dees and GWS?

You haven't been reading big Footy have you? According to big Footy the Saints were on the verge of folding before the season started we were so bad. 2-0? Our very survival was being questioned.

Yeah, missing two big defenders isnt good for a team. But Frost and Plowman both stood up.

Its Hunt, Addison and Shaw that Im dirty on.

thoughts on Tomlinson coming in to add some size to the defense? and yeah those three were shocking today.

Nick Reiwoldt what a champion of the game.

GWS should have won and could have won. Better team over the 4 quarters but fluffed it. Upside is they're clearly better than whatever St Kilda have got going so given both teams will be non finals contenders (probably with mine) it's onwards and upwards.

Entertaining game overall though. Better than the Melbourne/Saints game last week.

Devon Smith very good game, as was Callan Ward and Tom Hickey before injury killed his last quarter.

thoughts on Tomlinson coming in to add some size to the defense? and yeah those three were shocking today.

I'd have played him, but it wasnt size in defense that killed us. It was just not looking for targets, and bombing it in to a forward line where they had a spare man.

Hickey's injury turned the game back GWS's way, but our defence was magnificent. Great game. Lot to like about St Kilda's youth. GWS - well we all know the future is theirs for the taking, unveiled another future star today in Kelly. But right now I'm pretty happy, another year of solid recruiting and we'll be well set to challenge going forward. Coach looks like he has a united team behind him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Think both sides can take away positives. Devon Smith was fantastic for the Giants and it's not like they didn't have their chances in the last quarter. Good to see Hickey really put a good performance on the board before his injury, given the doubts some had over him.

I just have more respect for Nick Riewoldt the longer he goes on. Gets the job done whenever possible and when it's not you can be damned sure he's thrown everything at it. What a champion, in every sense of the word. Shame he'll go out without a premiership barring some sort of miracle (although 2-0, who knows? ;)).

Did people really not expect the Saints to 2-0 heading into the pre-season when their 1st 2 games were the Dees and GWS?
Seriously hope that's a joke, everyone thought they would both be losses, as they probably should have been, both teams have had years at the rebuilding stage
Last year was our first year of bottoming out, and we probably still haven't fully bottomed out

Just a shout out to hickey, roo and the youngsters

It's actually a good test for GWS. They were impressive against Sydney and will draw a lot of confidence; however, people forget that they've only won 4/45 games in their existence.

I think St.Kilda will prevail at home by 15 points, Riewoldt will provide a handful and bag 5.

good call good sir

They have had less scoring shots both times too. Very lucky.
What a crock.

I've been hearing how "lucky" we were that Melbourne didn't kick straight last week, but I've just finished watching last week's game at last and as a result of hearing how many times how inaccurate Melbourne were, I started taking note of where their shots for goal were from and out of the last 12 points they kicked (from when I started taking note), two of them were from 48m out on about a 45deg angle, 4 were from about 50-58m out (some from 45 deg angles), two were from snaps around the corner near the boundary (the sort you kick about 1 in 10, if that) and two more were rushed over the line from two more kicks from outside 50m (one of them from almost the centre circle that cleared the pack and bounced about 15m). So that's 10 out of the last 12 points (out of total of 15 points) Melbourne kicked that came from kicks from 48-75m out, many on angles, or from snaps around the corner near the boundary. Then of course at least 2 of the 6 goals you did manage to kick were also from kicks outside 50m. Some of your earlier goals and points (before I started taking note) may have also been from long range, or very tight angles.

So what that tells me is that we were not "lucky" at all last week. It tells me that our defence was good and generally prevented you from having shots from anywhere near dangerous spots on the ground, hence the inaccurate kicking.

As for today, like last week, we basically stopped trying to score for the last 15 minutes or so of the game and just basically looked to defend our lead from that point and as a result, GWS were able to score quite a few points in that last few minutes, but again most of them were not from dangerous spots, because we had by that stage stacked our defence, which made it very hard for them to score goals.

The fact that we had stacked our defence meant that when we inevitably won the ball when it entered their forward 50, we then had no-one to kick it to when we tried to clear it out of there and GWS had a wall of 3 or 4 across the centre line who could then pump it back into their forward 50, but where it would again be met by our wall of 3 or so spare inside their F50 and as a result they found it very hard to kick a goal, with it being so crowded and all. That went on for most of the last 15 or even 20 minutes of the game and as a result GWS were able to rack up the points, but struggled to kick a goal. Mission accomplished, as it was all we needed to do to ensure the win. It was far different to most of the earlier parts of the game when GWS generally had a very open forward line and as a result were able to score goals relatively easily.

So, very lucky my ass. It's called good defence and not letting the other team have many easy shots for goal, something I dare say Richardson has been teaching us to do all summer and something that half our team learned very well how to do under Ross Lyon. They can have about as many shots for goal as they like as long as they're from long range, on tight angles, or under a lot of pressure, as long as we kick more when we go down the other end.

Last edited:
What a crock.

I've been hearing how "lucky" we were that Melbourne didn't kick straight last week, but I've just finished watching last week's game at last and as a result of hearing how many times how inaccurate Melbourne were, I started taking note of where their shots for goal were from and out of the last 12 points they kicked (from when I started taking note), two of them were from 48m out on about a 45deg angle, 4 were from about 50-58m out (some from 45 deg angles), two were from snaps around the corner near the boundary (the sort you kick about 1 in 10, if that) and two more were rushed over the line from two more kicks from outside 50m (one of them from almost the centre circle that cleared the pack and bounced about 15m). So that's 10 out of the last 12 points (out of total of 15 points) Melbourne kicked that came from kicks from 48-75m out, many on angles, or from snaps around the corner near the boundary. Then of course at least 2 of the 6 goals you did manage to kick were also from kicks outside 50m. Some of your earlier goals and points (before I started taking note) may have also been from long range, or very tight angles.

So what that tells me is that we were not "lucky" at all last week. It tells me that our defence was good and generally prevented you from having shots from anywhere near dangerous spots on the ground, hence the inaccurate kicking.

As for today, like last week, we basically stopped trying to score for the last 15 minutes or so of the game and just basically looked to defend our lead from that point and as a result, GWS were able to score quite a few points in that last few minutes, but again most of them were not from dangerous spots, because we had by that stage stacked our defence, which made it very hard for them to score goals.

The fact that we had stacked our defence meant that when we inevitably won the ball when it entered their forward 50, we then had no-one to kick it to when we tried to clear it out of there and GWS had a wall of 3 or 4 across the centre line who could then pump it back into their forward 50, but where it would again be met by our wall of 3 or so spare inside their F50 and as a result they found it very hard to kick a goal, with it being so crowded and all. That went on for most of the last 15 or even 20 minutes of the game and as a result GWS were able to rack up the points, but struggled to kick a goal. Mission accomplished, as it was all we needed to do to ensure the win. It was far different to most of the earlier parts of the game when GWS generally had a very open forward line and as a result were able to score goals relatively easily.

So, very lucky my ass. It's called good defence and not letting the other team have many easy shots for goal, something I dare say Richardson has been teaching us to do all summer and something that half our team learned very well how to do under Ross Lyon. They can have about as many shots for goal as they like as long as they're from long range, on tight angles, or under a lot of pressure, as long as we kick more when we go down the other end.

Blah blah blah.

St kilda were lucky

Remove this Banner Ad

Back