Preview Round 22 – GWS Giants vs West Coast Eagles, Saturday 18th August, 4.35pm, Spotless Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 6, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Thunder
Seriously, how good was that?

An utter demolition of the Bulldogs away from home. I don’t think anyone saw it coming. It might even finish their chances of playing finals. How sweet that would be.

And there was so much to like about the way we went about it, withstanding their surge in the second quarter, then burying them after half time. They don’t call Q3 the premiership quarter for nothing.

In particular, there were so many great individual efforts. Patton’s contested marking was brilliant, and how good was that Coniglio intercept and goal? The only thing better was the collective groan of their supporters when it happened.

Turning to injuries and other matters, we emerged largely unscathed from last night, although Shiel was reported to be having some problems with shoulder pain, even though he played out the match. He’s been at his brilliant best lately and it would be disastrous to lose him now. Should we rest him this week? Of the players out injured, Sam Reid might be available for selection, but the earliest we’ll see Jeremy Cameron is Round 23.

As for Toby getting reported, he seems to have become something of a media sensation more than anything else. I can’t see how he can be credibly suspended for the Dalhaus incident. Eyes only for the ball, and if you look at it in real time, there’s no way it could have been intentional. Hopefully sanity will prevail.

We certainly can’t take the Eagles for granted, as they’re playing for a finals spot, but I just can’t see us dropping this game. We have more at stake. One more win, and we are guaranteed a top four position. Whether we get a home qualifying final will probably depend on the outcome of the Cats game in Round 23, unless they slip up next week (and they certainly did us a favour knocking off the Tigers this afternoon).

The boys have awoken, and the so-called “orange tsunami” has been a joy to watch. I’m sure we’ll not only win on Saturday, but add a bit to the percentage.

Really looking forward to it. This might be our final regular season game at Spotless, but I think we might just be back a couple of times more. ;)

Go Giants!

The Eagles are poor travellers and don't Nic Nac to break our hearts. We should go in favourites, but it won't be a walk in the park. Think Tommo will be back for this game, but maybe a tough call with Harry the one to make way. Mummy will be back too, for Simpson. If stevie is rested, then Smith the obvious in. If Smith doesn't come up, then maybe Setterfield or Lloyd.

Hopefully Toby ok, and the 8 day break gives Dylan the chance to get tlhis shoulder as good as can be.
I was pretty gung ho last week bevause I really believed the Mutts had weaknesses that we would expose. I dont think WC do.
They've got a very good spine. Bombed entries into the 50 will just feed McGovern and Hurn intercepts. Their forwards in Kennedy and Darling are a real threat as well.
They cant match our silk in the midfield particularly outside run but we need to bring the tackling and will for the contest we have for the last couple of weeks to exploit that.
I certainly believe we can get the 4 points but see two clear risks

1. A let down from the Mutts game. It was on the national stage and there is some feeling between the sides. Personally I'm happy it's done and we can focus on the opponents that matter, but even so. Any lack of intensity is very dangerous.

2. In Priddis and Mitchell and Shuey they have a very smart midfield, and Vardy rucks very well when I've seen him play. The first two are much maligned and do lack pace but they are tough. We need to match them tactically and make sure we use the skills and speed we have to dominate the clearances.

Last edited:
Hopefully Toby ok, and the 8 day break gives Dylan the chance to get tlhis shoulder as good as can be.
I was pretty gung ho last week bevause I really believed the Mutts had weaknesses that we would expose. I dont think WC do.
They've got a very good spine. Bombed entries into the 50 will just feed McGovern and Hurn intercepts. Their forwards in Kennedy and Darling are a real threat as well.
They cant match our silk in the midfield particularly outside run but we need to bring the tackling and will for the contest we have for the last couple of weeks to exploit that.
I certainly believe we can get the 4 points but see two clear risks

1. A let down from the Mutts game. It was on the national stage and there is some feeling between the sides. Personally I'm happy it's done and we can focus on the opponents that matter, but even so.Any lack of intensity is very dangerous.

2. In Priddis and Mitchell and Shuey they have a very smart midfield, and Vardy rucks very well when I've seen him play. The first two are much maligned and do lack pace but they are tough. We need to match them tactically and make sure we use the skills and speed we have to dominate the clearances.
You have made an extremely good point in here. And that is Mcgovern and Hurn

They love dropping into joles in the backline. If we bomb it in like we have been this year we lose.

We play to targets like the demons game and we win.

Look for a small forward line again me thinks

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Corr Davis Haynes
Shaw Tomlinson Wilson
Whitfield Shiel Kelly
Deledio Patton De Boer
Greene Lobb Scully

Mummy Cogs Ward
williams Hopper Kennedy Himmelberg

This is assuming Dev's knee is still no good. If Greene gets suspended then I think Setterfield or Lloyd will get the call up.

Just watched Dons vs Adelaide. 3rd Quarter 5-10 minutes in Matt Des is knee-ed in the head during a marking contest. He is clearly in distress as a result. Evidence? Not exactly same as Tobes but thought I'd mention it.

Seriously, how good was that?

An utter demolition of the Bulldogs away from home. I don’t think anyone saw it coming. It might even finish their chances of playing finals. How sweet that would be.

And there was so much to like about the way we went about it, withstanding their surge in the second quarter, then burying them after half time. They don’t call Q3 the premiership quarter for nothing.

In particular, there were so many great individual efforts. Patton’s contested marking was brilliant, and how good was that Coniglio intercept and goal? The only thing better was the collective groan of their supporters when it happened.

Turning to injuries and other matters, we emerged largely unscathed from last night, although Shiel was reported to be having some problems with shoulder pain, even though he played out the match. He’s been at his brilliant best lately and it would be disastrous to lose him now. Should we rest him this week? Of the players out injured, Sam Reid might be available for selection, but the earliest we’ll see Jeremy Cameron is Round 23.

As for Toby getting reported, he seems to have become something of a media sensation more than anything else. I can’t see how he can be credibly suspended for the Dalhaus incident. Eyes only for the ball, and if you look at it in real time, there’s no way it could have been intentional. Hopefully sanity will prevail.

We certainly can’t take the Eagles for granted, as they’re playing for a finals spot, but I just can’t see us dropping this game. We have more at stake. One more win, and we are guaranteed a top four position. Whether we get a home qualifying final will probably depend on the outcome of the Cats game in Round 23, unless they slip up next week (and they certainly did us a favour knocking off the Tigers this afternoon).

The boys have awoken, and the so-called “orange tsunami” has been a joy to watch. I’m sure we’ll not only win on Saturday, but add a bit to the percentage.

Really looking forward to it. This might be our final regular season game at Spotless, but I think we might just be back a couple of times more. ;)

Go Giants!
Still drunk. Still happy.

Will destroy the Weagles

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I jave the feeling toby may get a week or two, but I hope not
I was seriously hoping but a bit more pessimistic after watching offsiders. I do rate Gerard Whateley as a fair and objective commentator, and he generally keeps his mouth shut if he doesn't know. He seems to be convinced the contact to the head meant he wouldn't get off.

At this stage I would have the Giants as favorites and the 2 keys for this game will be shutting down Shuey in the middle which is a job for Coniglio and then being able to double team Kennedy and with Shaw and Haynes in defence I am confident he will be held
For team selection I am going with
Mumford for Simpson
Smith for Johnson
Tomlinson for HH
If Greene is suspended not sure if it would be Mzungu or Perryman who comes in
It would be good if Adam Kennedy was fit as he has the versatility as a depth player
Selection will be made more difficult for finals with the NEAFL team not making it and for me that would make it hard for players to put their hand up for selection
I don't see Griffen making it back and if Reid doesn't play this weekend he would be out as well
The mids in contention would be
Mzungu, Perryman, Setterfield and then HH for the swingman role
This shows how last years trading has effected the depth of the squad and also the results in the NEAFL have effected this

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At this stage I would have the Giants as favorites and the 2 keys for this game will be shutting down Shuey in the middle which is a job for Coniglio and then being able to double team Kennedy and with Shaw and Haynes in defence I am confident he will be held
For team selection I am going with
Mumford for Simpson
Smith for Johnson
Tomlinson for HH
If Greene is suspended not sure if it would be Mzungu or Perryman who comes in
It would be good if Adam Kennedy was fit as he has the versatility as a depth player
Selection will be made more difficult for finals with the NEAFL team not making it and for me that would make it hard for players to put their hand up for selection
I don't see Griffen making it back and if Reid doesn't play this weekend he would be out as well
The mids in contention would be
Mzungu, Perryman, Setterfield and then HH for the swingman role
This shows how last years trading has effected the depth of the squad and also the results in the NEAFL have effected this
If greene is suspended I smith may be his replacement with SJ retaining his spot.

If greene is suspended I smith may be his replacement with SJ retaining his spot.

Stevie J to miss so he is able to put in a big performance down in Geelong, He will want to impact that game and I think he has shown he will have a good game if he misses a week and that would mean 4 in a row for the Geelong game

A part of me feels like going on the Dogs Board and saying "Well it's safe to say it meant to do it now" LOL!

#prayforfreekickdogs

Don't forget to have a LOL at the fact Jack Redpath (he of the goal-square debacle) got 2 weeks for punching Phil Davis.

I don't need to read it to hear the howls of injustice and taste the salt from here.
:D:D:D:D:D

Don't forget to have a LOL at the fact Jack Redpath (he of the goal-square debacle) got 2 weeks for punching Phil Davis.

I don't need to read it to hear the howls of injustice and taste the salt from here.
:D:D:D:D:D

Did you pick up CLing's comments Friday night, that Phil Davis went down far too easily? He's an idiot; not once did they replay that incident from the game as they were so far up themselves over Toby's foot.

Did you pick up CLing's comments Friday night, that Phil Davis went down far too easily? He's an idiot; not once did they replay that incident from the game as they were so far up themselves over Toby's foot.

And Mooney devoted an entire segment to Phil supposedly going down too easily on The Bounce on Sunday night as well.

The eagles are crap , can't score well and their defense is leaky. Also their midfield is average and without a dominant ruck they are being found out. Can see a 60+pt win here with only 2 good quarters needed. Can see the selection team resting a few players. Ward needs a rest imo.

HjVxhWY3_UOPsEYS0mUEA6l3UU5LZohKavmaeGaOOes2lmSuM1RWcqbr6FQd78Sr3orrLQqOufAOiERyd7MOwFoXA36XBbLElSrYTC5ZRGDexo55Ufhgfc3Yexu-ygqginPZqAcaj6KFDFqcP93uZut48Hlm2w=w334-h150-nc

Remove this Banner Ad

Back