Game Day Round 23, 2023 - West Coast vs Western Bulldogs

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know it isnt the outcome many of us wanted. but you can't coach a player to lose. It goes against any instinct of an elite athlete.
Exactly, clearly the team wanted to win and the coach says winning is always in the front of their minds, draft picks are way at the back of their minds. Who knows if they were playing for themselves or for the coach (last game?). But begs the question why didn't they want to win last week, or lose by less? That Derby game was more important to any Eagles fan...

We won't get Curtin we will have pick 3 more than likely. Gone buy then

Bit like when we finished last in 2010 but we ended up with pick 4 because of the Gold Coast, we would of gobbled up Bennell or Swallow but we went with Gaff which ended up working out, you use what you’ve got , I can guarantee you in 5 years time where not gonna be thinking well if we lost that game against the bulldogs in 2023 we would be better off.

I know it isnt the outcome many of us wanted. but you can't coach a player to lose. It goes against any instinct of an elite athlete.

Allen shouldn’t have played. Kelly should have spent some time forward & on the bench in the last.

We went as all out as we can to win that game - the Doggies obliged by being s**t and Simmo gets to extend the middle digit to the Board on the back of the efforts of his favoured few.

I mean sometimes pragmatism is the best option.

I've loved this club since day 1 and I'm always happy for a West Coast win,... But not at the expense of our long term list build and future. I'll always prioritize long term success and benefits for the club over a meaningless and costly sugar hit.

We may or may not have selected Harley Reid at Pick 1... but the draft capital and bargaining power holding Pick 1 in this particular draft (and Pick 19) that we have now lost is massive.

We could have either drafted Reid or traded that pick to secure 2-3 other highly rated kids. Plus the benefits of having that 1st pick of night 2 of the draft... but that's now gone.

Knowing that North is very likely to get a compo pick for McKay, and that they have shown heavy interest in Curtin... and also that Walter will be off the table as an academy pick.. and then add in the fact McKercher is the likely next best target who you can guarantee the new Tassie Club will be throwing absolutely everything at in 4 years time... It's just such a high price we have paid today.

We now just don't have the assets to generate all the extra picks and fast track our rebuild... that we had before this win.

This is the entirely sensible and pragmatic response that anyone who really loves the club should be feeling to a significant extent.

Todays performance was good but it’s muddied the waters in a number of areas and made the road back more difficult.

That it was done on the back of some veterans actually performing after many many games where they’ve been half arsed makes it slightly galling too - in that it brings into question where that effort has been from them the last couple of seasons.

Bit like when we finished last in 2010 but we ended up with pick 4 because of the Gold Coast, we would of gobbled up Bennell or Swallow but we went with Gaff which ended up working out, you use what you’ve got , I can guarantee you in 5 years time where not gonna be thinking well if we lost that game against the bulldogs in 2023 we would be better off.

If Reid is Daicos like in his impact than we absolutely will be.

Some of the melts, both ways, are justified.

Today we won a meaningless game to ensure we miss out on a player described by multiple talent scouts as a generational talent who plays the exact role of our biggest weakness

Celebrating that seems odd
You've mistaken me for someone who gives a rats about your opinion.
I find amusement in people who get irrational and melt after a game of footy is over. Sue me.

Some of the melts, both ways, are justified.

Today we won a meaningless game to ensure we miss out on a player described by multiple talent scouts as a generational talent who plays the exact role of our biggest weakness

Celebrating that seems odd
I wouldn't have been fussed with a close loss, but I'm certainly not disappointed with a win.

Those who enjoyed that win without concern for what it does to the club longer term are frankly idiots 🤷🏻‍♂️
Everyone understands the implications and it is reasonable to feel upset that Harley is most likely out of reach. However shitting on supporters who enjoy a win because you are having a sulk about a pick that may not actually pan out as we expect is weak as piss.
Our club is a proud one that values winning. Enjoy the wins, our rebuild will not be determined by a single player.
Up the funking Coasters!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great win against the odds Eagles …. but Wowee … Clarko is currently doing cartwheels and backflips - Scheezel, Wardlaw, LDU and now Harley Reid - get on the Kangas for a decade of finals from 2025 onwards as that midfield is set for a decade.

I actually feel a bit sick for the Eagles supporters after what they’ve been through. Could’ve kept Reid or traded that pick for 3 x top-15 picks he’s that good… now it’s pick 2, or potentially pick-3 if Roos get a compensation for Ben McKay.

And the guy who orchestrated the win in Simmo won’t even be there, so it’s like his ‘parting’ gift to the board who are about to sack him.

The draft needs to change as I genuinely feel sick on behalf of Eagles supporters with this result that’s costing them a generational player or 2 extra top-15 draft picks.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
North will do what North always do. Turn Reid into a mid-tier player.

Don’t worry lads, Gold Coast have to play in Tasmania next week. Looks like 13 degree day max with a very cold morning.

They will shut up shop

Would be the ultimate plot twist.

North will do what North always do. Turn Reid into a mid-tier player.

Reid will play forward at North.

1. They lack forwards. 2. They're already full of inside midfielders who lack work rate around the ground.

Also... McKercher is just what we need. He will be an absolute gun inside mid and after a couple of balmy winters in Perth (comparatively speaking), the Tassie team probably wont have a contract with enough 0000s to persuade him to move back to Tassie.

What a joke. Thorny is definitely my spirit animal and feeling the same way at the moment.

Oh cool cool we all love Simmo again do we? We just going to forget what happened last week when he and the boiz historically embarrassed us in a Derby in front of a home crowd?

I certainly won't forget sitting there at that game when my team was 100pts down and watching McGovern being totally invisible and ineffective on a nobody like Josh Treacy...

But it's cool he can come out like Superman the following week and suddenly look like he cares again, costing us our 1 reward for such a disaster of a season. That's fantastic.

How ironic they can't do it last week in front of their fans against 16th, they couldn't do it against the 18th placed hawks, they haven't done it all year, but let's come out and do it for a game that has a monumental impact on the shaping of our list, potentially for years to come.

For what?

If I had my way Allen wouldn't have even been playing today. Bloke is clearly banged up, everyone knows it, Cripps even confirmed it post game, and putting him on ice would've been a sensible way to manage our situation for 2 more games. But nope.

Not jumping for joy over finishing second last in a season touted as the worst in AFL history. Just made worse with that win.

You can't just pick and choose when to give a s**t.
Christ. You should have pissed off like you said you would when we drafted Culley.

If we're really as bad as you say, how is ONE player going to change that? Reid may be good, but he's not the ******* messiah. McKercher or Curtin will be very good players. The difference isn't so vast between them and Reid.

Last edited:
Christ. You should have pissed off like you said you would when we drafted Culley.

If we're really as bad as you say, how is ONE player going to change that? Reid may be good, but he's not the ******* messiah. McKercher or Curtin will be very good players.

One player?

He's been described as a generational talent, without a weakness, the best player in the draft playing in the position we desperately need.

Or do we ignore draft experts, coaches and list managers comments when we choose to do we?

He's not going to change it on his own, whoever said that? However he's the biggest and most obvious piece to make that happen, and we've just lost it.

Instead there's a KPD... Which we don't need, or a handful of other players around the mark at our new pick who don't tick that box.

Mckercher is the 4th or 5th best player in this draft. There's also the fact we've lost pick 19, which was another huge piece of draft collateral up our sleeve come draft night.

Try looking at list management logically, rather than being caught up in the emotions of one pointless win.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back