Preview Round 23 - Geelong vs GWS Giants, Saturday August 26th, 7.25pm, Simonds Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Because Port leapfrogged Sydney and Richmond will probably leapfrog us, I think Sydney ends up on the opposite side of the draw.

Everyone needs to cheer Richmond today:

1) if they win we'll probably play Geelong at the MCG instead of Kardinia.
2) if they win we'll probably play Port at Spotless in week 2 if we lose, instead of Sydney at ANZ.
Go Tuggers!!!!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

What an irritating game.

Good:
- Deledio! Every time he is involved, something good happens. We got him in for Geelong's 2017 first (~17) and our 2017 third (~50), that's a bargain if he stays fit
- Coniglio, Shiel, Williams, Whitfield, Smith surely will be better next time

Bad:
- Lost the contested possession by 148-124 to a team missing Joel Selwood
- Watching us switch the play, and when the ball gets to the other side, Geelong's defenders are in position - apparently they know we will switch before our own forwards & mids
- Stagnant kicking down the line to a scrum. They had 15 contested marks to our 4, and I don't think that's about talent, I think that's about the game plans and how the teams moved the ball.

Ugly:
- Zero forward pressure
- Stevie J is cooked and has been for ages. Leon trusts his vets to a fault.

Overall it felt a bit like there was no real sense we could win, no sense of fun, just going through the motions.

Let's see if the switch can be flicked in finals. If we do, then nobody will remember this game, just like nobody remembers that the Bulldogs lost to Fremantle in round 23 last year...

Because Port leapfrogged Sydney and Richmond will probably leapfrog us, I think Sydney ends up on the opposite side of the draw.

2) if they win we'll probably play Port at Spotless in week 2 if we lose, instead of Sydney at ANZ.
Nope, I want Saints to smack their furry butts

- Stagnant kicking down the line to a scrum. They had 15 contested marks to our 4, and I don't think that's about talent, I think that's about the game plans and how the teams moved the ball.

Also great coaching - they usually have one player go for the mark and the other one or two in the scrum blocking (technically illegally) the other players, whereas we have both Lobb and Patton trying to go for everything at the same time.

Also great coaching - they usually have one player go for the mark and the other one or two in the scrum blocking (technically illegally) the other players, whereas we have both Lobb and Patton trying to go for everything at the same time.
Yes. Chris Scott has 1 fit A-grade player and lots of solid role players and they are a genuine premiership chance.

They have a good game plan, and the players know what it is & how to follow it

They are well organised with the basics like where the players run, so they don't have two KPPs flying for the same mark, two inside mids going for the same ground ball

Very well coached

:DWhen we beat the crows do we not come home to Spotless for the PF?
I see yoir post as dangerously close to sedition in sporting terms.

Theory for your consideration. I take the ball on our back 50 arc, split second to look down field, and I see 2 umpires in light blue, very similar in that split second to the Geelong jersey in that split second. Did that similar hue of colour play on the team's eyesight and effect that split second decision? Just watching the replay. Wondering if the colour at the ground looked better than TV?

Theory for your consideration. I take the ball on our back 50 arc, split second to look down field, and I see 2 umpires in light blue, very similar in that split second to the Geelong jersey in that split second. Did that similar hue of colour play on the team's eyesight and effect that split second decision? Just watching the replay. Wondering if the colour at the ground looked better than TV?
I was thought the same thing in an instant a few times thinking it was a cats player but it was an ump.

Oh well

Nope, I want Saints to smack their furry butts
Ha ha. Love that passion. Sometimes you want what's best for GWS but sometimes it's just, "stuff it, I hate these campaigners". I know we've got Ports measure. Would trouncing them give us the confidence to take the Swans at ANZ again?

Yep. And if you get away with that illegally once, they tried it again and again.

Ha ha. Love that passion. Sometimes you want what's best for GWS but sometimes it's just, "stuff it, I hate these campaigners". I know we've got Ports measure. Would trouncing them give us the confidence to take the Swans at ANZ again?
He has Saints blood mixed in with that pure Orange Giants blood.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

"There's got to be a morning after
If we can hold on through the night
We have a chance to find the sunshine
Let's keep on looking for the light

Oh can't you see the morning after?
It's waiting right outside the storm
Why don't we cross the bridge together?
And find a place that's safe and warm

It's not too late, we should be giving
Only with love can we climb
It's not too late, not while we're living
Let's put our hands out in time

There's got to be a morning after
We're moving closer to the shore
And we'll escape the darkness
We won't be searching anymore"

:)

Towering Inferno?!?!

Wasn't that the song playing as the ship rolled over, went belly up and sank?

Not sure it's the best set of lyrics to try to cheer us up?

Two words:

Straight sets.

I disagree.

If we bring our best footy we're as good as anybody.

Leon needs to make some tough decisions.

The three players that are really under the pump are Stevie J, Smith and Hopper.

Stevie J is finished...the media pundits can talk up his genius but he has been shithouse for most of the year. His knee is gone, his confidence is shot and he offers ZERO defensive pressure and in fact provides opportunities for opposition teams. He MUST go.

Smith is playing poorly. I think his mind is elsewhere. Some of the options he took last night were just ridiculous...he butchered at least 3 goal opportunities. I think he goes out.

Hopper is a difficult one. There is no doubt Cal has benefitted from Hopper and Cogs coming in as it has freed him up and we've seen what he has done. The trouble is Hopper is a really average player, he is as slow as a wet week and his lack of agility means he is always under pressure meaning when he does get his hands on the ball he turns it over or gets caught. I could live with him staying in but I could also live with him going out.

The players under consideration to come in De Boer, Taranto, Kennedy, Setterfield.

De Boer is a must, he gives the forward line a different look and comes in for Stevie J.

I'd put Taranto in for Smith. Taranto is a hard worker and offers defensive pressure. Yes he's underdone but he has the right temperament for finals footy.

Hopper and Kennedy are pretty neutral. If anything Setterfield is a point of difference and looked very composed in his first game but he just hasn't played enough footy. Hopper probably stays in.

The only other one is ruck. We looked great with Simpson in. He tapped to advantage and allowed our kids to get first look. Again hasn't played much footy and arguable if he has the same connection. Mummy and Lobb combo remains.

Our mids will be much more effective on big grounds.

All is not lost yet.

Last edited:
Having done the walk if shame back across the Torrens after round 1 and at the G ( althiugh mercifully close to the exit gate), I really feel for you last night. Hope it wasn't too bad.

I was cursing the Captain by the end. I'd spent far too much time with him before first bounce. ;)

But the Cats fans were pretty good, they were impressed with those of us dedicated enough to make the trip.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back