Autopsy 2023 Round 23 – GWS Giants v Essendon Bombers, Saturday August 19, 4.35 pm AEST, Giants Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Absolutely amazing tonight. I went along to the game expecting a nail biter and got the very best of the impressive GWS jersey.

I believe Callum Ward had a very strong game and was very clean with his disposals.

I went along with mates who bought my ticket so we sat right behind the goals at the scoreboard end with the bombers supporter and, jesus christ, they are the biggest meat heads ever. Swearing at there players, opposition and fellow supporters. At least 4 fights between fellow supporters from there side!

Absolutely amazing tonight. I went along to the game expecting a nail biter and got the very best of the impressive GWS jersey.

I believe Callum Ward had a very strong game and was very clean with his disposals.

I went along with mates who bought my ticket so we sat right behind the goals at the scoreboard end with the bombers supporter and, jesus christ, they are the biggest meat heads ever. Swearing at there players, opposition and fellow supporters. At least 4 fights between fellow supporters from there side!
Agree about Ward. Class and poise.

I witnessed a heated argument between 2 groups of Bombers supporters near the opposition race entrance.
A few guys were going off at the players and a few others told them to "calm down". You can guess how well that was received.

And in more good news, we (just) cracked the 10k crowd as well!

Definitely more travelling supporters than I expected.

Had to feel for the guy next to us in the members. Comes to all the games in his Giants gear, came to tonight cheering (politely) for the Bombers even with his son still in Giants gear. Tough night if it's the one time a year you see your team live.

This bit is an improvement I guess. Hopefully keeps improving.

A BIGGER SOUND FROM THE WEST OF TOWN

GWS home crowds were severely curtailed after the Covid pandemic struck. The club averaged just 6,272 spectators at Giants Stadium in 2021 then 6,103 in 2022. Saturday’s figure of 10,281 lifted this year’s average to 10,293

This bit is an improvement I guess. Hopefully keeps improving.

A BIGGER SOUND FROM THE WEST OF TOWN

GWS home crowds were severely curtailed after the Covid pandemic struck. The club averaged just 6,272 spectators at Giants Stadium in 2021 then 6,103 in 2022. Saturday’s figure of 10,281 lifted this year’s average to 10,293
Mind you, our average was lifted by the 19k crowd we had against Sydney - the 6th biggest crowd ever at Giants Stadium. In 2022 we played them at Stadium Australia and in 2021 we played them due to Covid restrictions in the Gold Coast. But even if we remove the Derby match our average crowd at GS this year is 9k - still more than the 6k averages in 2021 and 2022.

Mind you, our average was lifted by the 19k crowd we had against Sydney - the 6th biggest crowd ever at Giants Stadium. In 2022 we played them at Stadium Australia and in 2021 we played them due to Covid restrictions in the Gold Coast. But even if we remove the Derby match our average crowd at GS this year is 9k - still more than the 6k averages in 2021 and 2022.
Yeah but I never got that argument about removing our derby.
Do we remove everyone else’s?

Would be great to see the average crowd increase another 2,000 or so in 2024. Maybe the club needs to have a look at the current Membership packages. I only had a 3 game Membership this year but ended up going to 7 of our 8 games at GS with so many cheap or free tickets on offer most weeks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would be great to see the average crowd increase another 2,000 or so in 2024. Maybe the club needs to have a look at the current Membership packages. I only had a 3 game Membership this year but ended up going to 7 of our 8 games at GS with so many cheap or free tickets on offer most weeks.
If we keep playing the way we did yesterday, we will continue to grow our crowds.

Yeah but I never got that argument about removing our derby.
Do we remove everyone else’s?
I removed the derby for this year as the 2022 and 2021 numbers did not include our Sydney derby? This would be a more like for like comparison of crowds - note that even discounting the 19k crowd we got against Sydney, we still got a 9k average crowd this year at GS

I removed the derby for this year as the 2022 and 2021 numbers did not include our Sydney derby? This would be a more like for like comparison of crowds - note that even discounting the 19k crowd we got against Sydney, we still got a 9k average crowd this year at GS

yeah, but nobody removes the Showdown from the Port or Adelaide stats. Nobody removes Anzac Day or the Dreamtime games from Collingwood / Essendon / Richmond.

Yet someone always recalculates our figures to exclude to Swans game. Every year for the past (not Covid affected) decade and more.

Don‘t be that person.

this is not Diving where you exclude the East German judge. An average is an average, and is only an average, if all games are counted. Otherwise its just manipulate BS.

Hard to know how we will match up against Carlton after that performance

Their midfield pressure and efficiency going forward are massive factors to overcome. Bombers showed no midfield pressure and were inefficient going forward so it’s a bit up in the air as to how we will take that forward

Interesting that the Wests Tigers game had 9k and there is no mention of crowds etc but we get our average up and it’s still talked about.

This isn’t an attack as my Tiges and me go way back. But the NRL in Sydney seem to get clean air with crowds while we get hammered.
I'm not a Sydneysider - the NRL up my way had a 29,000 sellout today - but I've always heard it described as a cultural thing with Sydney NRL fans, that they prefer to watch on TV rather than go to the games. I can remember back in the '90s when attendances got down as low as 3-4,000 when Souths were doing really badly (and that was in the old SFS, which seated 42,000). The Swans really are an outlier in terms of consistent attendance in Sydney, but of course it's worth remembering that when they were in our position as the new boys in town, their crowds were usually in the four figures - and even today, with 25 years of being consistently strong on-field, they don't sell out the SCG except for finals (a cursory look on Austadiums shows their usual attendance is in the low 30s).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back