Preview Round 23: Sydney Swans V Richmond Tigers @ ANZ Stadium 30/08/2014 - 4:40 PM AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tiger71

?????? King of the Micro ??????
Sep 22, 2011
AFL Club
Richmond
G'day all,

I read a wonderful comment that this game is shaping to be the most important game in our recent history, say the last 10 years. That got me thinking, is this Saturday's game more important in regards to what it will do for our club then the EF last year ?

I tend to say yes. With last year, most, including myself were stoked just to make finals after our drought. The loss against the blues hurt but IMO i sorta expected it. This game though against Sydney really shapes up to be a potential culture changing game. If we could get up and beat the best side in the land, it will really make a statement.

IMO a larger statement then if we had of won that EF.

Also with the loss of the EF, it was not a disaster but I really believe if we get pumped by 60 points plus or are just noncompetitive, it could cause real damage to the Psyche of our side. That's why win or lose I really believe we need to give a competitive effort.

So, is this game more important then last years EF ?

Ok because this has now become the preview thread here are some stats. What they tell us is that we can go into this game with a fair degree of confidence!

Form ladder since round 14

Team W L Points %

1 Richmond 8 0 32 133.7

2 Sydney 7 1 28 162.9

3 Geelong 7 1 28 119.1

4 Fremantle 6 2 24 128.4

5 Hawthorn 6 2 24 126.4

6 North Melbourne 5 3 20 124.6

7 Essendon 5 3 20 107.4

8 Adelaide 4 4 16 121.3

Also some of the KPI's offer some solid eviedence on how well we may match up againts this mob.

Sydney are ranked 1st for points conceded during this time at 63pts

Richmond are ranked second for points conceded during this time at 69pts

Richmond is ranked 1 in both contested and uncontested ball in league.

Richmond and Sydney are both share 1st in quarters won during that time 23 out of 32 quarters.

Last edited:
G'day all,

I read a wonderful comment that this game is shaping to be the most important game in our recent history, say the last 10 years. That got me thinking, is this Saturday's game more important in regards to what it will do for our club then the EF last year ?

I tend to say yes. With last year, most, including myself were stoked just to make finals after our drought. The loss against the blues hurt but IMO i sorta expected it. This game though against Sydney really shapes up to be a potential culture changing game. If we could get up and beat the best side in the land, it will really make a statement.

Also with the loss of the EF, it was not a disaster but I really believe if we get pumped by 60 points plus or are just noncompetitive, it could cause real damage to the Psyche of our side. That's why win or lose I really believe we need to give a competitive effort.

I think they were both important games TBH. Last year was our first final in over 10 years against a team that finished 9th and we needed to show that we weren't overawed by the occasion.

Unfortunately we got overrun BUT who's to say if we had won that game that we may not be in this position?

I think its important to not let the hype get to us and go out there and have Sydney get on top of us and make it look like its over in the first quarter.

Most important h&a game ever!

no franklin and no tippet, no goodes.

It is I think.
I think what's really hard to accept is that we are in much better shape than we were last season yet here we are having our hardest game just to participate.
It's sort if like playing a Grand Final at the start of the finals!
Regardless of what happens this seasons finish has been massive for the players.
It's experience they desperately needed.
They've been playing under finals like pressure for a few weeks now which will be invaluable for them.
So even if we don't make"finals" I reckon we've had a few finals like games put into them which just can't be bought.

Last edited:
I dont think so, the elim was more important considering it was a final and we went in favorites.(+/-)
Though I will premise this against the swans losing or resting a few of their guns, if that happens then the importance of a win will grow.

To say I have an investment in this game is an understatement. Not only is this game a must win for finals for us, it would also ensure the eagles dont make it. Coupled with that I've just returned from a secondment in the UK and starting a 3 month secondment in Adelaide... Where the elimination final will likely be... massive!

Hope our players go in like crazy. I think we can pull this one off
Nothing to lose and everything to gain - embrace the hype Tigers - reckon we have been scared of the hype over the past 5 - 10 years.

Re. resting players, far from being a choice for The Swans, KB reckons we should rest some of our key players on Sat. for week one of the finals... :p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

G'day all,

Yes and no. This game would be a statement from the club that we have changed who we are, its really what this entire streak is a big statement. But IMO its all a bit pointless if we win on the weekend and fail to back it up in a final. It would just cause our own self doubts to rise again, the media and footy public to question richmond's fortitude ect...

Still i'd rather be in the finals with a shot after beating the best side in the comp then not. Our first final will not be easy either with Freo or Port away most likely.

So yes its the biggest game in recent history for about a week when a bigger game comes around.

G'day all,

I think I agree it does have a bigger ramification, as it will seem to me we have worked a lot harder to make it happen. Hopefully we win.

What a Finnish to this season hey? 90% of footy fans are licking their lips already saying it's a done thing and Sydney will bring us crashing back to earth.

Maybe they're right, and I hope the club can feel this us against them vibe and come out ruthless. I think our best footy has what it takes to beat the swans, we will need the trio - lids, cotch and dusty, to be on there game. When these 3 play well in the game, we rarely lose and playing the ladder leaders on their home turf were gonna need some firepower. Honestly, we should have beat them at the G and it's time for some revenge.

If Sydney come out up for the challenge, it'll be a ripping game and If we go down, it won't be quietly and I think the boys will do us proud.

Anyone else here hoping Sydney field a strong team going for the win so we know where we really stand? I want to see us go toe to toe with the best and bring our best.

Saturday can't come quick enough, go you tigers!

People saying all of the pressure is on us are wrong.
We have nothing to lose - win and it's a Lazerus type recovery - get beat by the best team in the comp on their home patch and we can reflect on a wild ride and look forward to 2015.

Great position to be in actually, very much the underdogs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back