Round 23

Remove this Banner Ad

Haha if you look at other boards I was spot on. I was pretty sure the game was 1:10 Perth time but I got told 3:10 which was obviously eastern standard time so I wasn't 100% sure of the time slot.

Happy with that,they can't do much else, our issue may be if we then have to play Syd or Haw away on the Friday night, would mean back to back 6 day breaks. But we have made our bed - hopefully we get our sh1t together and finish 2nd anyway!

Happy with that,they can't do much else, our issue may be if we then have to play Syd or Haw away on the Friday night, would mean back to back 6 day breaks. But we have made our bed - hopefully we get our sh1t together and finish 2nd anyway!
Nah we will just rest a lot of the side against weak opposition in Brisbane away, what could go wrong?

not sure whats wrong with having more than 1 game on a Friday night in this scenario,the NRL do it every week ??possibly because 7 has the rights to Friday nite footy but in the interest of equality (oops forgot we were talking about the AFL) having multiple games on a Friday would afford more teams a 7 day break

not sure whats wrong with having more than 1 game on a Friday night in this scenario,the NRL do it every week ??possibly because 7 has the rights to Friday nite footy but in the interest of equality (oops forgot we were talking about the AFL) having multiple games on a Friday would afford more teams a 7 day break

NRL games are short (they have to be because even the players find it boring).

They have two games back to back, not up against each other.

Yes, the interests of the AFL indeed:

mister-moneybags.jpg

Though in this case I think it's a Ch7 rights thing, same principle though. Money talks, everything else walks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Port game may be crucial for a top2/4 spot. Don't want the team to travel back from Brisbane and only get a 5 day break (since we play Sunday). This is probably the best possible compromise.

NRL games are short (they have to be because even the players find it boring).

They have two games back to back, not up against each other.
I'd like to see Friday night double headers in the AFL and it would be possible, particularly in summer. Have a 7.10 kick off in Melbourne (or SYD) then start the second game in Perth at 6.40 (so 9.40 AEDT) which would finish around midnight. You could run the second game as a derby, if they were concerned about ratings drop off. At most there would be ~20 minutes cross over.

I'd like to see Friday night double headers in the AFL and it would be possible, particularly in summer. Have a 7.10 kick off in Melbourne (or SYD) then start the second game in Perth at 6.40 (so 9.40 AEDT) which would finish around midnight. You could run the second game as a derby, if they were concerned about ratings drop off. At most there would be ~20 minutes cross over.

In theory yes, and would help with avoiding 6 day breaks etc. - but in reality, AFL doesn't lend itself to this sort of thing like other spots. It's a very long game to engage with. Even with the relatively low level of 'fluff time' (that American Football has for example). There's no way that the numbers of viewing audience required would be held long enough to justify it for the networks, and they are the ones that have the ultimate say.

The round 22 fixture always sucked. Brisbane on a Sunday? You'd have thought last years Grand Finalist would've at least been given a Saturday fixture to allow for flexibility.

As it is there is ZERO flexibility and we now have to travel back from Brisbane on a 6 day break, that then leads into finals.

I guess it could be worse and we travel the week before finals. Can't win them all.

The round 22 fixture always sucked. Brisbane on a Sunday? You'd have thought last years Grand Finalist would've at least been given a Saturday fixture to allow for flexibility.

As it is there is ZERO flexibility and we now have to travel back from Brisbane on a 6 day break, that then leads into finals.

I guess it could be worse and we travel the week before finals. Can't win them all.

Yeh, longest road trip and we have to do it with a 6 day break leading into the finals
Fluck the AFL and their crappy agendas

Coupled with the knowledge Port play on a Friday night, this was a fixture battle we were never going to be a winner of.

Saturday arvo is the best we could hope for.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back