Game Day Round 3, 2023 - Bulldogs vs. Brisbane Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

In a low scoring game - free kicks on goals are crucial - Im not into bagging Umpires (as I am a community ump) but in a small sample size - the four system is not working the way it was intended and the inconsistency is much worse and tonight it had an effect.

having said that

we were putrid
we lacked a game plan
we lacked accountability
we lacked leadership

wtf is this coaching group doing?
Sitting on the bench. The players are the ones on the field - they need to take accountability for that effort.

I’m not sure who it was but someone raised a good point about our forward line a couple of weeks ago. At its best any of the 6 players up there can kick a bag and take a game away, when the game is on our terms. But do we have a reliable no frills forward that you know will give you the 4-5 tackles and 10+ pressure acts a week?

Unfortunately, we don’t have anyone that we can rely on to be consistent week to week in that space and so teams will continue to waltz on out of there at will until we either get someone who wants to pressure, or the players there have an attitude adjustment.

Would like to see some efforts made by the coaching staff to get a reaction from the group. Drop Hipwood, Linc and Bailey. Replace with Fort, Ah Chee and Dev. Players need to understand they can't put in terrible performances and still get a game next week.

Besides those changes might just help us structurally anyway.

At least the compulsive Harris Andrews bashers might consider starting to put the blame upfield where it belongs.

I’m not sure who it was but someone raised a good point about our forward line a couple of weeks ago. At its best any of the 6 players up there can kick a bag and take a game away, when the game is on our terms. But do we have a reliable no frills forward that you know will give you the 4-5 tackles and 10+ pressure acts a week?

Unfortunately, we don’t have anyone that we can rely on to be consistent week to week in that space.
They're in our squad if we bother playing them.

In a low scoring game - free kicks on goals are crucial - Im not into bagging Umpires (as I am a community ump) but in a small sample size - the four system is not working the way it was intended and the inconsistency is much worse and tonight it had an effect.

having said that

we were putrid
we lacked a game plan
we lacked accountability
we lacked leadership

I feel like we just send the players out and say do your best. We just don't adjust to other teams, we rely on talent. And when we play poorly we get flogged. It's happened forever.

I think your last sentence nailed it. It's time to rethink the way we play. It can't be perfect or bust it just doesn't stack up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

having said that

we were putrid
we lacked a game plan
we lacked accountability
we lacked leadership

If feels like we never properly made that transition from having the mentality of being a "good young side that can surprise sides to push towards the 8" to "experienced, professional side that goes out and does what needs to be done".

The team often plays like a team on the up that has ups and downs as opposed to a team that's made top 4/6 in consecutive years that's now one of the most experienced teams in the competition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back