Review Round 3, 2023 vs Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

If Ken Hinkley was smart he would drop Jonas and clurey for passing and Scully.
Did you watch Scully on Saturday. He has zero match fitness, he struggled to run out of a quarter and was absolutely buggered. He looked like a school boy playing with the men. I have no doubt he'll be a star and he has everything going for him with height and skill but fitness is an issue right now.

Was ropeable when Howard was traded & also how he was stuffed around prior to that with being moved forward. His injury did affect his form but he was not allowed to settle in defence. Who is the second player?
Billy Frampton? If so don’t rate him.
Howard though I agree should have kept him no question.

Really? I thought the pregame was one of the loudest. I've done both crows (only once will never do it again) and Port. Thought the crowd was really loud until the last 10 minutes of the last quarter. The thing I don't understand is why Port supporters bring their crow friends to the game.
I'm not talking about NTUA. That is what it is.

I'm talking about the in game atmosphere at Port games which has been getting quieter and quieter for years now. When we were up and going, and full of hope in 2013, 2014, even early 2015, the atmosphere was insane. We cheered every touch, every piece of play. On Saturday, you could hear a pin drop most of the game. When SPP kicked that goal in the last and it felt like we might have something rolling, the atmosphere definitely picked up for the next couple mins until Rioli's dropped mark then it was quickly silenced again.

I mean even think back to the old Mark Williams bringing the team over to the outer for the 3 qtr time break, there was so much atmosphere at our games, even with smaller crowds. Now I sit between 2 bays and apart from the one "WE ARE".... "PORT ADELAIDE"...."WE ARE...." guy, no one else makes noise. To be fair after the SPP goal he did get about a quarter of the bay into the Power clap for the first time. Just a shame it was so quiet the rest of the game.

It's a huge shame, we used to have such great atmosphere at our games, but our crowd has turned into a Crows like home crowd, generally silent and placid.

Good on you if you were one of the small few making noise, but sitting center wing, eastern side, i can tell you it was obvious most of our fans were sitting there frustrated, bored, arms crossed and quiet.

Was easily the quietest showdown I've ever attended.

Last edited:

I'm talking about the in game atmosphere at Port games which has been getting quieter and quieter for years now. When we were up and going, and full of hope in 2013, 2014, even early 2015, the atmosphere was insane. We cheered every touch, every piece of play. On Saturday, you could hear a pin drop most of the game. When SPP kicked that goal in the last and it felt like we might have something rolling, the atmosphere definitely picked up for the next couple mins until Rioli's dropped mark then it was quickly silenced again.

I mean even think back to the old Mark Williams bringing the team over to the outer for the 3 qtr time break, there was so much atmosphere at our games, even with smaller crowds. Now I sit between 2 bays and apart from the one "WE ARE".... "PORT ADELAIDE"...."WE ARE...." guy, no one else makes noise.

It's a huge shame, we used to have such great atmosphere at our games, but our crowd has turned into a Crows like home crowd, generally silent and placid.

Good on you if you were one of the small few making noise, but sitting center wing I can tell you it was obvious most of our fans were sitting there frustrated, bored, arms crossed and quiet.
The eastern wing used to be so loud and pulsating. It's not anymore and hasn't been for a while sadly.

On SM-G781B using BigFooty.com mobile app

At least a more even playing field re umpires. Obrien had better of lycett. Dawson a player of substance. Our defence obvious missed burton, and could be on going problem. Dixon kept us in game. Good game to watch, a rebound against sydney will be a challenge.

Is that the best you can do ?

Surely Kenny needs an extension, Koch a knighthood ?

At least a more even playing field re umpires. Obrien had better of lycett. Dawson a player of substance. Our defence obvious missed burton, and could be on going problem. Dixon kept us in game. Good game to watch, a rebound against sydney will be a challenge.
last thing I thought leaving the ground was it was a good game to watch.

not sure ive ever thought that losing a game by 30 odd let alone a showdown.

last thing I thought leaving the ground was it was a good game to watch.

not sure ive ever thought that losing a game by 30 odd let alone a showdown.
It probably was for a neutral, but I spent the first three and a half quarters on edge and the last 15 minutes pissed off. If we had won I would have enjoyed the replay.

I mean even think back to the old Mark Williams bringing the team over to the outer for the 3 qtr time break, there was so much atmosphere at our games, even with smaller crowds. Now I sit between 2 bays and apart from the one "WE ARE".... "PORT ADELAIDE"...."WE ARE...." guy, no one else makes noise. To be fair after the SPP goal he did get about a quarter of the bay into the Power clap for the first time. Just a shame it was so quiet the rest of the game.

Good on you if you were one of the small few making noise, but sitting center wing, eastern side, i can tell you it was obvious most of our fans were sitting there frustrated, bored, arms crossed and quiet.

Was easily the quietest showdown I've ever attended.
They werent bored, just tense and nervous expecting the normal collapse that often comes when the pressure is ramped up on this group. Flakiness has become a trademark of all Hinkleys squads.

It probably was for a neutral, but I spent the first three and a half quarters on edge and the last 15 minutes pissed off. If we had won I would have enjoyed the replay.
felt the same never felt comfortable at any stage and then the inevitable happened.

Any game Lycett plays I am going to put $20 on the other team.

I reckon it's a great money making strategy as he's an absolute liability.

They werent bored
Yeah probably just me that part.

I never thought we'd win that. I've seen that movie before, I never invested any emotion into the game and our boring at batshit style brought on by our total inability to move the ball Vs the Crows just moving it with ease made the game extremely boring to me.

I left early for the first time ever. I've never left any game early before. I left at like the 24 minute mark. I remember thinking on the bus home about how much this administration is killing this club. It's just boring supporting Port, there's zero excitement in the crowd, zero hope amongst the supporter base, the players look like they dont care and the gameplan is so incredibly stale and repetitive. I mean how many times have we lost one of these night home games where we were close at half time, only to have a mini comeback fail.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Any game Lycett plays I am going to put $20 on the other team.

I reckon it's a great money making strategy as he's an absolute liability.
Imagine being a coach and pinning all your hopes of a revival of a ruckman that saw us to a 0-4 start last season.

Late to the party on this thread, and probably going to echo a lot of the existing sentiments here but need to write them down anyway.

Another limp performance in a big game for the club, with the possible difference being that we waited until the 10 minute mark of the last quarter to roll over rather than just rolling over in the first 5 minutes. When you put all this effort into making a big deal about the PBs, talking about the cultural importance to the club, and then completely give up to end the game we as supporters have every right to be livid.

Just like several other Showdown losses in the Hinkley era you could argue that we should have been further ahead or have put the game away but didn't, for example we gifted Adelaide at least 2 goals from schoolboy garbage defending in the goal square. The forward entry for most of the game was just kicking it to O'Brien uncontested at the top of the goal square, which felt really, really familiar, almost like we've seen that for the best part of a decade... I'm a little surprised ROB didn't win the medal because he absolutely destroyed Lycett and killed us with those intercept marks (but again, this isn't new). I'd be more upset but I'm numb to Hinkley losses at this point - the sooner he is out of the club the better.

Lycett is cooked - play Hayes. Jonas is done - play Pasini. Boak has to be underdone after those broken ribs, it's the only reason I can think of as to why he shirked that contest in the last quarter on the outer wing.

Walking away I said to my dad that the saddest thing about the game was that it actually meant something to the club, winning the Showdown in the PBs after fighting to wear them for so long, and the cheer that went up when SPP kicked the goal to give us the lead in Q4 was the last time any of us will cheer a goal as passionately for the rest of the season. Because the rest of the season is now irrelevant, we know we aren't making the finals, and we know Ken is a dead man walking, the rest of the season is a complete waste of time and until he's gone there is absolutely no emotional skin in the game for any of us. That goal could well be the high water mark of the season for atmosphere at a home game - how sad is that.

The only positives from the game were the guys who put up the Bruce Weber banner and the performance of SPP (the only good decision I've made this season was getting him in the 2023 Buddy Draft) who was about the only bloke out there who is fit to wear that jumper and not bring shame to it. SPP plays the game like a Port Adelaide footballer should - hard, tough and uncompromising. We had a few other minor contributors but seriously let down by most.

Sack Hinkley.

Whoever was the brain child of Jonas on Rankine should just hand back their keys
Ironically Rankine did more damage when Jonas was not on him.

We should not have Bonner and Farrell in the same team, both lovely kicks who cannot defend.
I am pretty sure X was subbed out so Bonner would not have to play in the back line

Did you watch Scully on Saturday. He has zero match fitness, he struggled to run out of a quarter and was absolutely buggered. He looked like a school boy playing with the men. I have no doubt he'll be a star and he has everything going for him with height and skill but fitness is an issue right now.
Give Williams a go, he has been playing as a defender for a long time.
Not tall but would be a better fit than either the Jones, Byrne-Jones, Farrell or Bonner.

The more I think about the nature of our loss, the more frustrated I get.

The Crows deserved to win. They were clearly the better team on the night. They had a gameplan, and they executed it.

But they're not an elite team. There's no particular line in their team that stands out as elite, and there's no particular aspect of their general strategy that stands out as elite. They were just prepared to play fast, attacking football, and keep running until we were extinguished.

That's reminiscent of us in 2014 (albeit our squad in 2014 was better than their squad in 2023). Our coaches should be incredibly familiar with that gameplan and how to combat it, particularly given that they watched the rest of the league pull it apart in 2015.

We haven't learned anything in a decade.

The old Port Adelaide I knew prided itself on playing hard and tough. Not this side. Too many soft players.

I thought the Crows were better in the contest for most of the game. Can remember when Hinkley decided to throw SPP in the centre in the 1st qtr because the Crows were dominating the clearances. That worked because he knows how to stick a tackle.

But you can’t play SPP everywhere and unfortunately we don’t have enough players like him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back