Prediction Round 3, 2024: Changes vs Western Bulldogs

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why drop Barnett?...need him to get used to working with English as they will be our ruck duo going forward

I was a little uneasy with the selection as I don't think Barnett should be playing this early, nor do I think it was a resounding success (he held his own pretty well - not a knock on the kid).

He was planned to be subbed out because Simmo admitted he's not ready for four quarters. I'd rather pick a sub who won't throw us out structurally if we have an early injury. Williams/Jamo/Waterman can ruck, let Barnett develop in the WAFL, get Maric in to the forward line.

If no injuries then no changes. One more week of exposed form needed to make necessary calls in my view.

Sucks but WAFL proper hasn't even started, we are playing reserves teams. Playing well yes but who's to say once these Ansett cup games are over if the Beagles will be going as well as they are. Have to wait at least until playing against men before rewarding wafl form [are they even playing next week still?]

First priority based on past 2 games has to be Hall in, Cole out. That'll be 3 poor games for Cole, then push Duggan back into the defensive 50 adding Hall to the midfield rotation at home against Sydney.

Persist with Barnett for a chunk of games, Simmo pretty much conceded in the presser we don't expect anything much out of his 19 year old body except to learn from the experience so give him a good look at it.

Now Jones is in, he gets 3 games to shake the rust off his disposal before either Rotham or Burgeil get a look in.

Once fit, I would love for Harry Edwards to come straight in and for Gov to move to CHF. Two reasons for this, one we don't have a lot of tall mature bodies and just because none of our key defenders are injured doesn't mean we should be playing Waterman at FF or bringing in Jack Williams for 10 games to cover for a 25 year old gun full forward. Many coaches have successfully asked a talented key back to play forward. In principle if Harry Edwards is better at his position than Jack Williams is at his, its a stronger 22 moving a Gov to CHF where [2] he can present an better option for our defenders that isn't a turnover or halved contest. We seriously suck in this area. So Maybe Gov provides some actual link up play through the middle ad we actually transition out of defence occasionally with a strong marking target presenting on the wings that isn't Darling with 2 defenders on him struggling to just bring the ball to ground. We are projecting to finish last by some margin, who cares if Barrass, Jamison, Edwards is arguably a weaker defence than Gov, Barrass, and one of Edwards/Jamison. We need to get that ******* ball out of our defensive 50 and Gov is the best way I can see us doing that right now. [Personally I would be interested in exploring a late career switch to the wing for Gov, slightly Matthew Richardson style minus the gut running. But let's not get crazy in here. A few weeks at CHF is plenty radical for us.]

Looking slightly further ahead, maybe the Fremantle game, once Liam Ryan is fit people need to accept that Cripps has to go because there is no world in which he is a better player than Ryan or that extending his career more important than developing Brockman and Long. IF strong availability across the squad persists into the second two thirds of the season, Cripps and Cole simply have to make way even if they aren't doing a lot wrong. Neither as essential to our structures and neither will be a part of our next finals push. Past a rapidly approaching day, a day that will come this season, like Gaff these guys are net negatives.

Last edited:
Harry Edwards unless he becomes nigh omnipotent at reading the play is too slow to make the grade imo.
JJ will never have AFL level disposal as an attacking HB.
Barnett isn't ready and can go back to developing his game in the WAFL because as i've said before Bailey Williams isn't a key forwards arsehole.

Out: Jones, Barnett
In: Maric, Burgiel
Hall to Sub

Harry Edwards unless he becomes nigh omnipotent at reading the play is too slow to make the grade imo.
Barnett isn't ready and can go back to developing his game in the WAFL because as i've said before Bailey Williams isn't a key forwards a-hole.

Hall to Sub

This is sensible too, and fine in my opinion.

I think the Bailey forward Barnett thing went so badly there's minimal chance it happens again.

Williams completely unsighted for a whole half. Had about as much impact forward as Scott Gumbleton.

Barnett 6 touches, 3 clangers and 8 hitouts from 35 ruck contests, is about what you'd expect for a raw ruckman who isn't ready for this level. No dice.

Get Jilliams in for Barnett, go back to Bailey in ruck with Jamieson chopout.

Burgiel for JJ (good lord he was average), Maric in for Ledwards. Hall to Sub.

Fold the club around half time.

- Barnett / Edwards
+ Hall / Burgiel

FB: Callum Jamieson / Tom Barrass / Brady Hough
HB: Tom Cole / Jeremy McGovern / Liam Duggan
C: Jayden Hunt / Harley Reid / Reuben Ginbey
HF: Noah Long / Jake Waterman / Jack Petruccelle
FF: Jamie Cripps / Jack Darling / Tyler Brockman

R: Bailey Williams / Tim Kelly / Elliot Yeo

I: Campbell Chesser / Clay Hall / Coby Burgiel / Jamaine Jones

Sub: Ryan Maric

I thought Barnett showed glimpses but he's just not quite ready. Williams is a good ruck, let him do it. Have Waterman chop out (he looked good in there) and Jamo/Darling can help with their end's boundary throw ins. I liked Jamo's game in defence today, something to work with and we desperately need to develop depth in that position going forward.

Edwards wasn't particularly bad and I thought he was alright round 1 but he needs to be more damaging. Made a couple poor decisions today too (not rare in this team).

Maybe harsh to have Maric sub again as I liked his pre-season but also didn't do anything too amazing once coming on.

I want to see Hall/Burgiel get full debuts (sub debuts in the bin). Hopefully like Chesser can ease them into the game and see some results.

Jamaine Jones needs to clean his disposal/decision making. Always been a big fan but one of his worse games today. With Edwards out can maybe help out on the wing too.

Rotham!!!

He epitomises shiitting himself when under pressure, cannot defend against a KPF and is so slow with decision making coming out of defence.

2024 needs to be a year where we find out what our players can do. Unfortunately for Rotham I think he has reached his ceiling and it looks like his ceiling is carpet, just centimetres above his floor

That’s a no from me

Usually I'd come out fighting on behalf of my sponsored player for the year, but meh...

F*** it, Rotham to the ruck.

You know it can't be any worse than the B.Williams / Jamieson / Barnett combination.

Barnett isn't ready and can go back to developing his game in the WAFL because as i've said before Bailey Williams isn't a key forwards a-hole.

Hall to Sub
Poor old slow hand harry. JJ the exciting king of turnovers. I thought Maric showed great competitive spirit when he came on. Hall is from Harvey so he must play.

In: Maric
Out: Barnett

Pleasing to see that, when we went to Waterman as the ruck, he mixed in a bit of jumping for it and a bit of staying down for a four on the floor approach.

We’re not going to win often with this ruck division, we might neutralise at times, but better to just try a new strategy (like so many teams did with Nic Nat) and mix the non-Bailey minutes up, instead of picking the least bad ruckman seemingly because that’s the done thing.

That or very deliberately pump games into him and know that it will be very rough for a while.

We need more link up and another forward option who can present, so Maric comes in.

Keen to see Jack Williams but not sure at whose expense.

They would be my changes too.

With CJ playing also we essentially have 3 rucks in the team, too many.

Maric hopefully straightens us up a little.

JJ possibly to sub and Burgiel debut?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Out: Darling Barnett
In: J.Williams Hall

Cole Barrass Hough
Hunt McGovern Duggan
Chesser Kelly Ginbey
Cripps Waterman Brockman
Maric J.Williams Long

Ruck: B.Williams Yeo Reid

Int: Petruccelle Hall Jones Jameson

Sub: Edwards

Out: Darling Barnett
In: J.Williams Hall

Cole Barrass Hough
Hunt McGovern Duggan
Chesser Kelly Ginbey
Cripps Waterman Brockman
Maric J.Williams Long

Ruck: B.Williams Yeo Reid

Int: Petruccelle Hall Jones Jameson

Sub: Edwards
Darling is not going to get dropped.

Williams could come in for Barnett maybe. English will destroy our rucks either way and getting 2x rucks in with same surname may just be enough to confuse him and throw him off his game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Please click on kicks. This tells a far better story than hand balls in a game of Football.

Ginbey had 6 kicks. When you look at it this way he had a poor game, his erratic handballs got him stats.

In Hall, Burgiel, [Ryan, Culley] J Williams
Out Brockman, Barnett, Jameson, Darling, Edwards.

Maric as Sub is pointless.
Cant have Darling, Waterman, Maric and resting Ruckman Barnett. Too tall. 1 of those fwds has to go. Rather play Maric over Darling at this point as i think Culley will come in as mid sized fwd/mid.

Last edited:

Hall to Sub
Yesterday was further proof that Bailey has no idea how to play forward, just let him ruck most of the day supplemented by Jamo, Jake etc. Barnett as you say is probably better off in the WAFL with a game or two occasionally to see where he is at. Ledwards is a bit of a nothing player, not terrible but not adding much either, give Hall a run. Another quiet game from Long and he can find some form in the WAFL as well. Cole was ok when he had Shep and Hurny looking after him but he's lost something in the translation, debatable if we have anyone better atm but we will probably find out shortly.

JWilliams in for Barnett. I am not sold on JWilliams yet but we need a forward presence (as Darling is no longer capable of offering that it seems and needs to be second or even third fiddle) and JW has performed so far in the WAFL. It's time to give him several weeks at it with Oscar out to see what he's got. Harsh on Barnett as I though in many ways he was pretty good/ok but in others he is so obviously not ready yet. Would prefer to give Barnett a couple of games but structurally, it doesn't work.

Hall in for Edwards. Edwards was "fine" again and I do like his skills but other than as a depth/role payer, I just don't see the future there. Happy to be wrong as he is young in terms of games but he's too slow for the modern game in a side like ours.

JJ was terrible early skills wise but I do like the endeavour. Harsh to drop him on one game but JJ to sub (or WAFL) and Maric in. I would kind of like to see what Maric offers in defense but we can move the team around easy enough to drop JJ and add Maric even if he plays forward.

Burgiel for JJ would be another option but having never seen him play (or no memory of it if I have), I will leave that to others. Would like to see him given a go soon enough too.

For me the most important changes are JW for Barnett as structurally we need it and Hall for Edwards, as we need the speed and ball winning ability. That's assuming Hall can run out a game after injury (but he can be subbed out if not).

Edit: Obviously that means BBW to ruck (as he offers nothing forward at the moment).

Out: Barnett

What i'd like to see

B.Williams back in the ruck with Jamo and Waterman having stints as well

Burgiel in the attacking half back role, rotating with Reid

JJ sub - not going to make it as a half back, his kicking and decision making isn't good enough. I'd like to see him back in the forward line. At his best his defensive pressure is excellent, there will be less pressure on his kicking, gives him more creative license , has played well there in the past.

A lot of posters are going to get a reality check when 's**t house ruck English' racks up 85 hitouts against whatever we're trotting out next week.

J Williams in for Barnett with B Williams rucking majority. I don't really get the B Williams as a forward thing, seems like a neat string to the bow at best.

I'd like to see Maric play but not sure how he slots in.

Please click on kicks. This tells a far better story than hand balls in a game of Football.

Ginbey had 6 kicks. When you look at it this way he had a poor game, his erratic handballs got him stats.

In Hall, Burgiel, [Ryan, Culley] J Williams
Out Brockman, Barnett, Jameson, Darling, Edwards.

Maric as Sub is pointless.
Cant have Darling, Waterman, Maric and resting Ruckman Barnett. Too tall. 1 of those fwds has to go. Rather play Maric over Darling at this point as i think Culley will come in as mid sized fwd/mid.

I won’t read too much in to the handball to kick ratio at the moment. In the context of the game and Ginbey’s role.

6/16 split with 13 CP suggests many of Ginbey’s disposals were under pressure.

He was a little more inside than last week, but I’d also say the high handball ratio is also due to a lack of Skills in the team overall. We weren’t great at getting balls out into space where you can use your kicking more. There wasn’t much easy ball on the outside.

Our team overall had more handballs than we did kicks. Part of that is the above, playing against a polished team means lots of handballs under pressure, but also speaks to change in how we want to move the ball.

For comparison, of Harley’s 17 disposals, 4 were kicks.

In 2019/2020 we were 1.9 kicks to each handball highest kick to handball ratio in the league, yesterday we were about 0.9 kicks to every handball.

Last edited:
why would they do this? they have chartered flights?
hit the road, reduce stress and BOND.
No idea what the club is thinking but with an older group with families and a growing bunch of kids this maybe be a construct to show that the kids have needs and that the established families are loved but don't drive the club.

Last edited:
why would they do this? they have chartered flights?

Fixture was set up last year for them to stay in Adelaide for the week, but they elected to fly home and go back.

May as well try this way if Gather Round and the accompanying back to back away games are going to be a regular thing. It’ll be good to know which works best.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back