Round 3 trades

Remove this Banner Ad

I have typically been a top 1000/100 player. I am playing less pods this year. It feels strange.

I've done 60,000ish (started round 5), around 2000ish and then 5th last year. Doubt I'll ever do 5th again :p
Helped my Paps do a team in my second year that did well. Would have been 1st at one point if he remembered to select his emergencies.

Always been good with numbers and stats but I'm still a newbie compared to many here. Loved the game from the very start though...made footy even better which I didn't think was possible.

If you're consistently ranked top 1000 (or even 2000) you're fully qualified to win the whole thing I'd say ;). Means you've got the right kind of mind for it - need discipline to be consistently pulling good ranks.

Might write up some tips for new coaches at some point. Needs to be fun above all else but there's some overlooked stuff that's fairly basic and helpful.

Stuff like simple psychology (how our brains are constantly trying to mess up our trades)
Insulating your team with players that have high % ownership
Instead of focusing on the one POD who will make all your dreams come true find the one super popular player people are rating too highly and pass on them for a moderately owned player.
Lots of other stuff.

Last edited:
I've done 60,000ish (started round 5), around 2000ish and then 5th last year. Doubt I'll ever do 5th again :p
Helped my Paps do a team in my second year that did well. Would have been 1st at one point if he remembered to select his emergencies.

Always been good with numbers and stats but I'm still a newbie compared to many here. Loved the game from the very start though...made footy even better which I didn't think was possible.

If you're consistently ranked top 1000 (or even 2000) you're fully qualified to win the whole thing I'd say ;). Means you've got the right kind of mind for it - need discipline to be consistently pulling good ranks.

5th is awesome. You need a perfect storm to get that high!! Last year I was ~10,000 before the byes and ended up 150th. Although there are 2 trades a week, it is a game. One week bad choices could cost you the trade you want the following week.

That's why I am forcing myself to trade to better rooks.

Are you in big footy div 1?

Might write up some tips for new coaches at some point. Needs to be fun above all else but there's some overlooked stuff that's fairly basic and helpful.

Would love to hear your thoughts and tips!
I agree with you here, except I folded to the pressure of who others were picking instead of sticking with my original guys. I overthought the whole process and went with the common 'safe' picks....that turns out not so safe after all. Im now reeling due to bad picks (and injuries) to fix a few holes.

Nuh just in the verified overall league. Forgot all about Div 1.

Will dig up some links tomorrow was just looking at the 2014 'post your team' thread and our teams were pretty damn similar early on.

Would be interesting to have a couple of high ranked coaches do a timeline of how exactly they got there. I like seeing interesting strategies but seems like keeping it simple, not planning in detail too far ahead and being defensive rather than aggressive with your trades works best. Also - questioning myself about why I'm getting someone in . If I had done that this year I wouldn't have started with Ablett (reason for starting with him - he's gary ablett!)

I have had a few beers and it's late so will try post some useful stuff tomorrow. If you can look at players merits/faults logically without emotion is a major one.

Thanks mate. Are you going to trade out Scooter at all, or after 2-3 weeks? I've still got to trade Scooter. Can't have all that cash sitting on the pine. I worked out even if Beams scores 90, he'll go down in cash by 40k.
If you put the E on say VBerg and CEY, you would take the lower score of VBerg's 56. I'm not too sure if someone isn't playing though, best not to do that.

I'll definitely be trading Selwood, just not this week - him not playing means his price won't change so it hurts a bit less than the other two.

Beams > Boyd thats not changing
Kk > Simpson Docherty or B.smith cant decide ??

Who should be my main priority to trade?

Beams -> Sloane

KK/Lumumba -> Hunt/Docherty

Redpath -> Byrne

Beams > Boyd thats not changing
Kk > Simpson Docherty or B.smith cant decide ??

See if you can find another trade. Long term best prospect is B. Smith but output out of players with concussion usually suffers for the next 2-3 weeks. So I wouldn't jump on B. Smith (and he may not yet play) this week.

See if you can find another trade. Long term best prospect is B. Smith but output out of players with concussion usually suffers for the next 2-3 weeks. So I wouldn't jump on B. Smith (and he may not yet play) this week.
Theres not much available really i wanted to get brodie smith but i dont want to trade someone in that may not play still... And im not sure if docherty will do that all year

I've only gone the one trade. Ablett OUT, Ebert IN (already have Lewis and I felt that Ebert in terms of scores over Rounds 1 and 2 was in a better position than Heppell)

Holding onto KK for one more week now that Ablett is a definite out. Hopefully Rocket moves him through the midfield. It's only end of Round 2 and I don't want to be making a hasty trade to have it bite me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've only gone the one trade. Ablett OUT, Ebert IN (already have Lewis and I felt that Ebert in terms of scores over Rounds 1 and 2 was in a better position than Heppell)

Holding onto KK for one more week now that Ablett is a definite out. Hopefully Rocket moves him through the midfield. It's only end of Round 2 and I don't want to be making a hasty trade to have it bite me.

Brave move.

You dont have any Rooks that you would want to change? ie. Bring in phillips as a reserve Ruck?

Theres not much available really i wanted to get brodie smith but i dont want to trade someone in that may not play still... And im not sure if docherty will do that all year

I want to get Smith in in the next 2 - 3 weeks. I want to see how he goes after concussion. Wk1 I had Bartel and Parker - traded out Bartel straight away and Parker went from 111pts in 3/4 game to 86 point in a full game - concussion affects them.

So try Docherty and then trade another player to Brodie once his scores return. Nearly guarantee if he plays he will struggle to score a hundred in the next 2 weeks. His price might even drop a bit if he plays this week.

Brave move.

You dont have any Rooks that you would want to change? ie. Bring in phillips as a reserve Ruck?

I've got S McKernan as my reserve ruck but may need to downgrade that in the near future. Made a positional back line change with OXLEY to the starting team, B. GOODES to reserves.

My biggest concern with not trading Kolodjashnij now is him getting a sub 50 score, the price downgrade and needing to upgrade on him with only 50k spare

Is mumford a good replacement for leunberger, not sure if he'll score too well against the swans. Any trade suggestions for leunberger?
Grundy is looking like a good option, sole ruck at the pies, so he should average over 80 easily. A lot cheaper than Mummy. I made the exact same trade last night Leuey to Grundy.

I've got S McKernan as my reserve ruck but may need to downgrade that in the near future. Made a positional back line change with OXLEY to the starting team, B. GOODES to reserves.

My biggest concern with not trading Kolodjashnij now is him getting a sub 50 score, the price downgrade and needing to upgrade on him with only 50k spare

Phillips is playing this week and 40k cheaper then mckernan, rookie rucks are a risk but the extra cash may help with an upgrade

OUT: Goodes and Beams
IN: Hodge and Honeychurch

Honey a little expensive but I think there's still a good $100k to make at least, so will take the risk for a F8/9. Was tempted to hold Goodes as he's a good cow if not vested, but decided to go the safer route in honey.

Would love to hear your thoughts and tips!
I agree with you here, except I folded to the pressure of who others were picking instead of sticking with my original guys. I overthought the whole process and went with the common 'safe' picks....that turns out not so safe after all. Im now reeling due to bad picks (and injuries) to fix a few holes.

I don't think there's any huge secrets to doing well. Try and be rational and don't fall for hype.

Just always question yourself. Read as many opinions and ask for as much advice as you can. You might not end up taking any of that advice but it gets you thinking critically. Used to think going with your gut was best but it's definitely not.

When I have time going to do a thread with roadmap of how I got 5th. Like what trades I made when and why. Would be so good to see the winners from the last few years and their trade movements throughout the year. Lots of luck involved and you have to find at least a couple breakout players that aren't owned by majority.

So I've gone

A.Treloar -> D. Heppell
M. Luenberger -> N. Naituani

Was really wanting to jump on Van Berlo but I may have to wait another week (and another price jump) I just haven't had a really good week yet I need to bring Heppell in I honestly think he's gonna have a huge year, his first game in the Jozie Tigers and going straight to the captain. Poor old Treloar was the one to make way.

Leuy obviously had to go and It was down to Grundy and Nic Nat, thought Nic Nat was a safer.

Leuey > Goldstein
Tyson > Bont

Not much too my trades. Got DPP in the midfield now with my forward line as an added bonus. Didn't see the whispers about Bont being a late withdrawal, but wouldn't have changed my mind about the trade.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back