Round 4, 2015 vent thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Redden can't go on getting a free ride as an "untouchable" in this team. Not fast enough, not damaging enough. Zero hurt factor. Gets 10 tackles a game cause he isn't getting the pill himself.
In saying that its the whole team, it's almost as if we are almost anticipating to lose a contested ball and waiting to lay the tackle, which is getting broken more often then not,

We are frightfully inexperienced across our entire list.

Injuries to our older players haven't helped at all.

We are demanding 2nd-3rd year players to hold critical positions in our structure. And at this stage, they are far too immature as footballers to do it successfully.

Our recruiters/staff have heavily turned over our list (forced and delisted) over the last few years and this has severely depleted experience and continuity. Unfortunately, the only resort the coaches have is to put our inexperienced players in tough positions and hope for the best.

Not sure if I want to ignite discussion of potential coaching changes this early, but I'm somewhere between angry and sad at the moment, so i need to vent (not sure whether to dump this here or in the coaching thread):

In my time, I cannot remember a stretch of games as bad as this. There has been a complete lack of skills, at times a lack of effort, against fairly mediocre opposition. Numerous players are below their maximum output, while most of our best 22 is available.

I really want to be able to support Leppa, it's not even round 5. I feel that I've become what I hated, I want to be a supporter, but I really can't see him taking us forward. His position is terminal. I don't propose sacking him anytime before the end of the season, nothing would come from that, but unless we improve massively over the course of the year, I see no incentive to renew his contract.

I'd love to be proven wrong, but he's shown nothing in the last four games, when the heat is on, to show me that he's a good coach. We continue to make the same mistakes on game-day with no change. Our game plan is over-complicated. There have been some questionable decisions regarding the sub and player positioning. I don't see his vision for this team.

Perhaps I'm being irrational, but we've had 1 finals series in 11 years (needless to say, this year's gone), and yet we're in a hole far deeper than we've ever been. I'm tetchy. Granted, Leppa is dealing with a different list to Voss, but we've gone from being two kicks away from finals, to, quite probably, wooden spooners. On paper, our list is probably better, and yet we're so far off our 2013 form. Even after last year's poor start, we we're still relatively competitive against decent opposition (Hawks, Cats, Bombers.)

Brett Ratten anyone? Looking back, it's amazing what he did with Carlton's list. He's also had time at the Hawks when they've been at their zenith. Unless it's someone well-experienced (like Ken Hinkley or Phil Walsh), I'm not keen on us going for an untried assistant.

We are demanding 2nd-3rd year players to hold critical positions in our structure. And at this stage, they are far too immature as footballers to do it successfully.

This. Anyone who thinks we've got the cattle at the moment is using Leppa as a massive scapegoat IMHO.

Two best hopes as forwards- Close & Freeman, injured. Best two mids- Rocky & Pearce, injured (Rocky wasn't fit to go today, really). Next best two mids- Dayne & Christensen- both still learning how their teammates go about it & the latter still coming back from a serious back injury.

Young guys like Taylor, Clarke, Gardiner, McStay etc being asked to play significant roles in a team with few senior guys around them to show them the way. They'd be developing the 2s at most clubs.

This. Anyone who thinks we've got the cattle at the moment is using Leppa as a massive scapegoat IMHO.

Two best hopes as forwards- Close & Freeman, injured. Best two mids- Rocky & Pearce, injured (Rocky wasn't fit to go today, really). Next best two mids- Dayne & Christensen- both still learning how their teammates go about it & the latter still coming back from a serious back injury.

Young guys like Taylor, Clarke, Gardiner, McStay etc being asked to play significant roles in a team with few senior guys around them to show them the way. They'd be developing the 2s at most clubs.

You still expect us to show something. And adding Beams, Christensen, Redden and Rich to the team we had in the second half last season you expect some improvement and not our side regressing a long way.

You still expect us to show something. And adding Beams, Christensen, Redden and Rich to the team we had in the second half last season you expect some improvement and not our side regressing a long way.
I believe that it was a mistake to bring in so many players from outside. The team is young and the group dynamics are tenuous. By adding the imports we have managed to disrupt team bonding and unfortunately they have not added anything to the team value. I thought after the Fevola saga the club had learnt the lesson of quick fixes. We need to have the confidence to let the team develop over several years. When Leigh brought in Pike and Michael the team had been together for a set period.

I definitely agree. But I think writing the season off and calling for sackings after 4 games is jumping the gun. Rich has been terrific, but most players don't come back and step it up after serious injuries that quickly. Redden was in a moon boot for months, expecting everyone to just instantly pick up their best form is unrealistic, I think.

By the sounds of things, a lot of supporters bought into the unwarranted preseason hype waaay too much, and they're rightfully having their expectations re-set.

I guess I probably felt like we'd be not much better than bottom 4 this year, and it would be another year of developing the kids and understanding the inconsistent performances that come with that, but if we had absolutely everything (esp injuries) go right, we would finish just outside the 8. So far, I've not seen anything that makes me deviate from that expectation, so I'm surprised at the strength of the fury I'm reading, and can only put it down to inflated expectations

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And who would be playing in their spots if we didn't bring in Beams, Christensen and Robinson?

Lester, ...? (Mayes inj), ...?

I can handle poor skills. Poor skills is fixable.

However being completely soft is nothing short of

tumblr_ly5wn5V5aC1qccebt.jpg

Why did I only see glimpses of endeavour in the second half?! Why not the first half?! Are we allergic to first halves?!

For me losing isn't the real issue at the moment. I just feel the required effort and care factor is not there. The skills have gone backwards from last season.

I think the skills diminish when our structure goes out the window, which creates more perceived pressure.

And just to add insult to injury, one of my cats managed to prise open a window and is now missing.

Both my cats mean the world to me, especially since my dog died last year and I don't like to think of him being gone forever :(

Hey guys, first time poster. Probably the most dissapointed i've been in a Brisbane loss in years today. Having said that, I think things need to be put into perspective. Were people really expecting us to improve this year? Since the start of last season we have lost what were our 3 best and most experienced key position players (Brown, Patfull and Merrett who is injured). Key position players are extremely difficult to replace! Our key position stocks are early years of gws/gc levels of inexperienced, we don't have the talls to take big grabs and change the tempo of games. So far the only real change to our side midfield wise is Beams in and Hanley out, like for like in terms of quality. I think in 2 years time we will be fine.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back