Autopsy Round 6, 2024: St Kilda v Western Bulldogs

Remove this Banner Ad

Dead inside like our players.

There is nothing there. No leadership. No desperation. No heart. Nothing.

Pity it’s so early in the season otherwise we’d be at merciful release stage.

Think I’ll take a few weeks off anyway.

The first time since probably the 95 or so final v Geelong at Waverley I did not watch it to the end. Purtrid.

Trade everybody for somebody with a spine that can rally a team, because without that we are structures jellyfish floating beneath the surface in a sea of mediocracy.

(Hope we win next week 🤣)

The major issue is the forward line. It's a mess, there's no one playing well up there. They don't hold their marks, they don't kick goals, we provide no forward pressure so the ball comes out of there just so easily every week. Bailey Dale 39 disposals, that is just embarrassing.

The issue with having such a bad forward line is you can never apply scoreboard pressure. I mean in the second quarter we got well on top and should have been able to get back in the game but were unable to score. Then it goes back the other way and bang.

I liked the look of Garcia and good to see Wilson running hard again, but there's only so many "look at this great young kid" moments you can have. It's a bit of fools gold. I mean Owens and Pou were anonymous tonight, they've both played great games but now their struggling.

I liked Windy, he's showing good signs in the guts. Bringing in Jones was a waste of time though.

Sincs is really struggling to get back into it and we miss him dearly.

It was an utter shemozzle of a game and it feels like it's going to be a long season. To put it simply there is no way I see us winning next week so 2-5 and a s**t percentage is coming for us and it's a mile back from there. Really a disastrous night where we were exposed on every line.

You can take absolutely nothing out of that game. As poor as we’ve played in some time.
I’d seriously look at bringing someone in to coach the midfield. We just seem to get in our own way all the time.

3 years with Ratts and did * all, Ross has the runs on the board, lol it’s not the coach when are people going to see this we are a bottom 4 side and Ross has got the best out of us
Ratts and Lyon have one thing in common- they got us into the finals, but neither have won a premiership as a coach, though Ratts was a premiership player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There'll be some knee-jerks about Ross but we can only go so far without a midfield at the end of the day.

Owens training with the forwards was a pretty clear mistake during pre-season.

We'll see what happens, Ross hasn't lost me yet.

It's going to be years before we build the list up and the older guys will be gone by then and we'll be rebuilding again. The players we have don't really have a competitive streak.

We need to find some quality. The best players at the Saints are Wilkie, Marshall, Sincs and Steele with Nas going up behind them.

The rest are all poorly skilled or inconsistent. Owens and King might not be the stars we hoped and Pou looks pretty average right now.

Wilson and Garcia look promising though. The Dogs have a heap of stars and we are never going to find enough to compete.

At least bottoming out this year might get us a gun mid.

Q4 update

In saying that, we just did not show up, for everyone in this universe that knew with scrutiny comes adversity to rally against, we saw animated birds dancing around our heads and giggled. We had randoms trying to push through and trying to generate something over the match, Windy in mids, Garcia for example, but too much was left too few and what suffered was almost everything.

No matter what moves we could have made, no matter who we could shift to where, we were not here mentally, we were barely here physically and in no world were we ever winning that match after the first maybe 10 minutes of play.

It's just disappointing, to be that almost non-committal, is just disappointing.

We were awful, umpiring was awful, second five day break was awful, perfect storm of awful. We'll bounce back next week. As long as we don't repeat a performance like this for the rest of the year, I'm not overly concerned. Solid performance by the dogs.

We do have some clear gaps in our team though, a reliable key forward and grade A midfielders. I agree with one comment from the game day, that we just have no reliable way to score, it's the most infuriating thing about watching this team.
🧐

Writing on the wall for this group tbh.

Unless there is some miracle, we have to wait for the recruits of the last 3 years to mature and pray they are the core to at least take us into finals comfortably. The midfield is just bottom 6 calibre but we have some good kids to play there.

The senior players aren't taking us anywhere

Team full of marathon runners.

Why don’t we put our best contested players on the ball?
Week after week we watch Owens running around in circles in the forward line wasting away.

5 3rd tall forwards in one forward line. All clueless at being the main man.

Backline full of flankers.

Midfield full of the same cloggers and
we only make changes to it when we are forced too. Stocker in there late looked good.

Year after year we watch our young draft picks go backwards.

Only scoring is on a fast break over the top. Not a viable winning game plan.

Lyon is a joke

The major issue is the forward line. It's a mess, there's no one playing well up there. They don't hold their marks, they don't kick goals, we provide no forward pressure so the ball comes out of there just so easily every week. Bailey Dale 39 disposals, that is just embarrassing.

The issue with having such a bad forward line is you can never apply scoreboard pressure. I mean in the second quarter we got well on top and should have been able to get back in the game but were unable to score. Then it goes back the other way and bang.

I liked the look of Garcia and good to see Wilson running hard again, but there's only so many "look at this great young kid" moments you can have. It's a bit of fools gold. I mean Owens and Pou were anonymous tonight, they've both played great games but now their struggling.

I liked Windy, he's showing good signs in the guts. Bringing in Jones was a waste of time though.

Sincs is really struggling to get back into it and we miss him dearly.

It was an utter shemozzle of a game and it feels like it's going to be a long season. To put it simply there is no way I see us winning next week so 2-5 and a s**t percentage is coming for us and it's a mile back from there. Really a disastrous night where we were exposed on every line.
Talent is the issue...that is the worst performance we've put in over 15 years

I feel good after that game because I switched off 1/2 way through the 1st quarter and watched the Storm game.
Watch us come out and beat Port next week. It's the Stkilda thing to do. Just when you've lost all hope they'll suck you back in :fearscream:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back