Review Round 6, 2024 vs Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Watching Talking Footy on 7 and someone thats missed much of this boards scrutiny is Butters. Almost all 4 of collingwoods pressure highlight reel was Butters getting rundown or trying to do too much and not the simple things. Yeah he had 30 and 15 in the first when we were red hot but once he went out we went out. 2 disposals and 4 disposals in the middle two quarters and 10 in junk last quarter where pies took their feet off the accelerator. 8 contested possesions and 26 uncontensed for a starting inside mid for 3 clearances says a seagull like no other. His contested:uncontested ball ratio is normally much more narrower when we play well and drops against the top teams. Harsh i know but these are the types of things that go under the radar when our midfield goes missing in big games

Both our losses are to Melbourne and Collingwood at their best.. Our positioning at contests is atrocious, every loose/ground ball goes to the them. Happened in the Freo game too..

Let’s face it, if Bailey Banfield wasn’t arguably the worst player in the comp Freo would’ve taken the choccies as well.

A team that just got obliterated by a West Coast outfit knackers-deep in their most dismal era.

But upon perusing recent pages, we can look forward to an immobile, crumbling, almost 34 year old bollard returning to salve our ills.

Such as the all-star midfield getting obliterated by the husks of Pendles, Titch and Sidey, and allowing studs like Will Hoskin-Elliott and Patty Lipinski to run riot.

Bad day at the office, no need to review

Sacha Baron Cohen Thumbs Up GIF by Amazon Prime Video

Watching Talking Footy on 7 and someone thats missed much of this boards scrutiny is Butters. Almost all 4 of collingwoods pressure highlight reel was Butters getting rundown or trying to do too much and not the simple things. Yeah he had 30 and 15 in the first when we were red hot but once he went out we went out. 2 disposals and 4 disposals in the middle two quarters and 10 in junk last quarter where pies took their feet off the accelerator. 8 contested possesions and 26 uncontensed for a starting inside mid for 3 clearances says a seagull like no other. His contested:uncontested ball ratio is normally much more narrower when we play well and drops against the top teams. Harsh i know but these are the types of things that go under the radar when our midfield goes missing in big games

Butters and Hinkley spent time on the bench a lot, maybe the expectation and words form Hinkley made Butters try too much.

Butters and Hinkley spent time on the bench a lot, maybe the expectation and words form Hinkley made Butters try too much.
no one else in this bloody team can create when port are down, thats a really good point ken probobly wanted butters to be very creative, but not too creative and take the game on

Just gotta let him play his game, he'll get caught occassionally but his line busting makes the risk worthwhile.
No.

There's a time when the opposition is on top to just out your head over the ball and absorb pressure and do the simple things.

Premiership teams do this.

Teams that can't win big games do not.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

https://www.reddit.com/r/AFL/s/OSOVU77dlL

Second worst ground ball defensive work recorded in the last 25 years.

Go ports!
That sounds about right
Bring in 2 tall kpd recruits & aerially the defence looks slightly better
But as soon as the ball hits the deck the defence looks abysmal
Actually thought our defence last season with McKenzie/ Bergman/ Williams looked more sound & gave a lot more drive than the bizarre combo this season

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reality is that premiership teams have strong, settled defences that have played 100 games plus together. Defences that each other very well. Know when they can leave their man to assist. Know exactly when to break forward, know when to lock down. And rucks that have developed a connection with their mids over many games/ seasons.

Never heard of a team rejigging their defence & entire rucks & having instant success. Never has been & never will be.

But here we are, still searching for a hero to save us from ourselves & our own stupidity

Defences that know each other very well.
Look at Collingwoods & Geelongs & Melbournes defences for examples. Look at Delaney, Phillips, Fiachi, Northeast, et al

If we think we can cobble together a premiership defence in one season & a new rucks division in one season we are dreaming

Yep those three worry me

Farrell I like but don’t think is a natural defender & never will be

Jones has a potentially high ceiling but makes so many fundamental costly errors. He always overruns the ball & lets it get behind him. A cardinal sin in defence

Rat is a big goose who I suspect will be thrown forward or into ruck sooner or later. But was headhunted so coaching staff will persist with him out of personal pride.

Burton has turned to crap since being tried forward & his form has taken a huge dive.

BZT I like.

Allirs form is terrible now also & playing rat has stolen his thunder

JHF, who'd be our best centre square clearance midfielder, had less centre bounce attendances than every midfielder in our side except Mead. Makes all of sense when we are losing centre clearances.

JHF, who'd be our best centre square clearance midfielder, had less centre bounce attendances than every midfielder in our side except Mead. Makes all of sense when we are losing centre clearances.

Maybe theres a fitness issue there?

I'm going to have to disagree with you on Dixon.

There were posters during the week that thought our forward line would crumble without Dixon and that wasn't the case.

I thought the forward line looked pretty good. No real issues. Could be better.

It was a chance for Kenny to do something a bit different but he decided on sticking to his only gameplan and put our first ruck Soldo into the Dixon role which was always going to end badly. Once McRae got the matchup right, I think Moore went to him, it was easy pickings. It was just another inept move by Kenny Average of once again putting a square peg into a round hole. Absolute moron.

Anyway, the problem was not the forwards but the midfielders because the ball didn't make it past the centre line for the last three quarters.

And I'm going to add something maybe controversial and people might say this about our other forwards so fair enough but I would much prefer Mihocek over Dixon at the moment. Give me a solid player who can kick a set goal from 50 in our team and we would be so much better.
Mihocek is so underated. Just gets it done. Really rate him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back