Preview Round 7, 2023 : Western Bulldogs v Hawthorn, 4:35pm Sat April 29th

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking at the team again, we’ve really changed the midfield balance. We’ve gone from having 2 or 3 mids in the forward line and another 2 on the bench to only have 1 in the forward line (Morrison; not including Moore), and one on the bench.

I expect a much narrower set of rotations. Hopefully there is no Q4 fall-off, although since it is our most experienced/hardened midfield group, they should hopefully be able to play it right out.
Have brought in Ward, Weddle and Day though, who do have bigger tanks.

Is argue that getting 3 disposals can't qualify as getting your job done no matter what position you play.

Yes I like stats because they are numbers and not open to interpretati
In the last 3 games, Greene's disposal counts were 10, 9 and 8. Does that qualify as getting the job done?

We're winning this one. I can feel it.

Day and Lewis chomping at the bit the last couple weeks. They'll both be primed to perform.

The excitement and energy brought by debuts for Weddle and Ramma will get the group up.

Not to mention the hunger from the entire group to finally get a win after coming so painfully close the past 2 games.

There's no real expectation from the footy world on the Hawks this week. The team has shown far greater cohesion and four quarter effort recently. All it was missing was some big, tall targets up front. Now we have two!

Milestone win incoming.

On DGB, Casey is a really good test this week. So him working in tandem with Blanck and Morris should be good. I hope everyone give a chance to watch the VFL.

Agree, let's celebrate the players who will play against the doggies this Saturday.
Like the emoji puzzles shows us:
1. Win the hard ball
2. Strong tackles
2. Picking holes on doggies defence (Looking at you Greene and Lewis)

Hopefully all of those eventuated on the game day.

All higher numbers than 3.

Also multiple goals kicked in each game.

So yes that is getting the job done as a forward.

Getting 3 disposals playing on the third best forward isn't. That's got to be an AFL standard most people/coaches would agree with.

I'm not saying we put a line through DGB but we need to start to unlock his potential as an attacking/intercept backman (which was what he was drafted as).

Making him into a dour, defensive stopper on the third best forward isn't going to do him or the club any good going forward. In fact just like how Finn regressed after we played him as a tagger it will ultimately harm his chances in the AFL long term.
So a forward who kicks goals is doing his job despite low disposal counts, but a defender needs to rack them up even if he locks down his opponent?

Here's a stat you'll like, their "third best forward" kicked 0 goals. A defender's job is not to rack up disposals. There is no AFL standard for how many touches a defender should get. There never has been, there never will be.

Again, their "third best forward" is their Number 2 pick (first non-biddable pick) in the very same draft. A bloke who's also only 20, still developing and will definitely become their best forward in due time. How on Earth is playing DGB on him not doing him any good?! Should we be playing him on Cameron types who will Zac Dawson him week in week out?

Is argue that getting 3 disposals can't qualify as getting your job done no matter what position you play.

Yes I like stats because they are numbers and not open to interpretati
Exhibit A

KHBDMGBTHOGAI50FFFAAFSC
12​
2234321500823115141Player 1

KHBDMGBTHOGAI50FFFAAFSC
20​
626910500131125155Player 2

Who had the better game? Numbers can be open to interpretation mate its not as simple as you claim

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He wasn't even the present...
frankie shaw smilf GIF by Showtime

Congratulations to both Max and Josh for earning their debuts at AFL level, dream come true for those lads. And they certainly have earnt their spot through some very strong reserves performances. I've been quite impressed with Weddle in particular, his workrate is fantastic

Having Lewis back is huge too, finally not only a target who can take forward 50 marks, but also helps out with the long down-the-line outlet which we have struggled to control. His inclusion also lets Greene play 3rd tall, which can only help

Adding two class players in Day and Ward through the midfield is the cherry on top
This side looks vastly more balanced than it has this season

I'm looking at all of these ins and outs and thinking how god damn exciting this list is. Having multiple young players who have the potential to be very capable AFL standard players is awesome, this kind of competition for spots can only be a good thing

Hopefully another good performance again this week, as we have been really building the last couple games

And it cuts both ways
Would far prefer people support the players and be wrong long term.
I mean you know actually supporting the players and club?

Been a few patting themselves on the back over a 20yo getting dropped .
Then being critical of people actually supporting the kid .

Its a wierd way to follow a sports team.

Odd. Stratts played 25 games and was our lockdown defender in year three.

DGB was dropped. So not actually sure what you're trying to say mate.

Sam made a point of backing in Bruest and dropped DGB. You're having a mare mate.
I agree DGB has things to work on but Stratts was a 21yo when recruited to the hawks having played 3 years at East Perth before coming over. He was 24 yo in year 3 but at 21, hadn't even made an AFL list but persisted in WA, finally mading it after filling out a bit and becoming more confident with his abilities.

Hopefully DGB can do the same over the next 3 years, cement his place in the side and play every game.

If the coaches deem him surplus to requirements, so be it but everyone needs to be backed in while on the list to make the team better, going back to BHH to improve what deficiencies they have been asked to improve and have that opportunity to get back into the AFL side.

Plenty of guys did their apprenticeship and became fine players for it.

The amount of shi* I copped last week after saying DGB with 3 disposals wasn't good enough.
Now he's dropped
Really makes you think HMMMMMM
Don't worry about it Sturty. I copped the same for suggesting that Breust might be one of the players that comes under scrutiny at the end of the season. Two weeks later and Breust is copping plenty of scrutiny and we're less than a third of the way through the season. That's footy forums for you. One day you're a chump, next day you're a champ.

Don't worry about it Sturty. I copped the same for suggesting that Breust might be one of the players that comes under scrutiny at the end of the season. Two weeks later and Breust is copping plenty of scrutiny and we're less than a third of the way through the season. That's footy forums for you. One day you're a chump, next day you're a champ.
Self congratulating yourself in hindsight makes you a chump, not having an opinion

Exhibit A

KHBDMGBTHOGAI50FFFAAFSC
12​
2234321500823115141Player 1

KHBDMGBTHOGAI50FFFAAFSC
20​
626910500131125155Player 2

Who had the better game? Numbers can be open to interpretation mate its not as simple as you claim
The one that won the Normie

If you're happy to go back and give yourself a pat on the back for things you've (tenuously) got right, does that mean it's free game for someone to trawl through your post history and highlight all the bad takes?

Would far prefer people support the players and be wrong long term.
I mean you know actually supporting the players and club?

Been a few patting themselves on the back over a 20yo getting dropped .
Then being critical of people actually supporting the kid .

Its a wierd way to follow a sports team.

It’s a ruthless game .. high stakes .. all players are paid well so they can just focus and put all their energies on playing football full time .. there are no excuses you need to perform if your fully fit and work hard on your craft to constantly evolve and improve away from match days .. everyone deserves their opportunities if they’ve worked hard enough for it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big opportunity to turn things around this game against a top 3 side at this venue ..application has been there .. apart from Sydney and Geelong games the boys have been playing good brand of footy and applying themselves well

Big opportunity to turn things around this game against a top 3 side at this venue ..application has been there .. apart from Sydney and Geelong games the boys have been playing good brand of footy and applying themselves well

Did you log into the wrong account?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back