Preview Round 7, 2023 : Western Bulldogs v Hawthorn, 4:35pm Sat April 29th

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree DGB has things to work on but Stratts was a 21yo when recruited to the hawks having played 3 years at East Perth before coming over. He was 24 yo in year 3 but at 21, hadn't even made an AFL list but persisted in WA, finally mading it after filling out a bit and becoming more confident with his abilities.

Hopefully DGB can do the same over the next 3 years, cement his place in the side and play every game.

If the coaches deem him surplus to requirements, so be it but everyone needs to be backed in while on the list to make the team better, going back to BHH to improve what deficiencies they have been asked to improve and have that opportunity to get back into the AFL side.

Plenty of guys did their apprenticeship and became fine players for it.

All good points, and as you'll see from my posts regarding DGB I'm not saying he won't become an AFL player.

But after three pre-seasons, sure he's got more time, I just can't see him becoming a star key defender. I'm just missing whatever signs others are seeing tbh. I don't even think he's been that good at Box Hill yet.

I loved Stratts, but if we're holding out hope he'll become a medium sized, dour lockdown defender... well gee, we messed up at pick 6.

We really need him to hold down a key position position. Hopefully he does that. I just can't see him being elite in it tbh.

Just my opinion before the tsunami comes at it.

All good points, and as you'll see from my posts regarding DGB I'm not saying he won't become an AFL player.

But after three pre-seasons, sure he's got more time, I just can't see him becoming a star key defender. I'm just missing whatever signs others are seeing tbh. I don't even think he's been that good at Box Hill yet.

I loved Stratts, but if we're holding out hope he'll become a medium sized, dour lockdown defender... well gee, we messed up at pick 6.

We really need him to hold down a key position position. Hopefully he does that. I just can't see him being elite in it tbh.

That draft as a whole was pretty bad and dgb is one of the most unfit on our list, meaning he isn’t good for forward run yet, which means he needs to work a bit harder before he is best 22

Alex Rance, Brian Lake and Matty Scarlett are all examples of taller defenders who broke out in their 4th year in seniors. Tom Stewart wasn't even on an AFL list at Denver's age. Tall defenders/forwards and ruckmen always take time and yet seemingly get the least patience from online supporters.

Would far prefer people support the players and be wrong long term.
I mean you know actually supporting the players and club?

Been a few patting themselves on the back over a 20yo getting dropped .
Then being critical of people actually supporting the kid .

Its a wierd way to follow a sports team.
One can still be supportive of a player and still believe that they should be dropped to hopefully learn and be better for it if and when they get their next seniors game.
5 games in and putting a line through a fringe player for a low possession game is not supportive. Saying they should be dropped for said game is opinion only, nothing wrong there weather the reader agrees or not.
As for the "patting themselves on the back", scroll on bye mate just scroll on bye, it's pretty easy to not engage.
Just my opinion, I saw that a few commented on DGBs game and mentioned about him being dropped. A bit of a pile on happened (shock horror 😱) DGB gets dropped, old mate feels vindicated and posts (pat on the back) to remind others, not a smart move but perhaps they think they will be acknowledged and validated by those in the pile on? Or maybe they knew another pile on would happen and they have an even darker sense of humour than I do and did it for giggles.
Anyway another pile on happened which to me is just school yard type bullying. Having said that I did like the effort Ned I think it was put into the achievement award, was pretty clever and even old mate at the bottom of the pile on might have thought so too 😉
I'm scrollin', scrollin', scrollin'

I’d suggest going and watching the Carlton loss last year and our win over GWS at the MCG in 2021. He was imo outstanding in both games.

Keen to see this game on the weekend though our list is exciting as it’s been for a while.. Even the box hill side is littered with in form players and talent

I do have a watch on Lewis and our team. Its called the Franklin effect. Do they get seduced by kicking to him all the time? He will demand the ball. We need to be smart enough to pick and choose the right option. It might bring us undone in this game because its too much of a lure but hopefully if that's the case we learn from it and can use all of our forwards in the future.

I do have a watch on Lewis and our team. Its called the Franklin effect. Do they get seduced by kicking to him all the time? He will demand the ball. We need to be smart enough to pick and choose the right option. It might bring us undone in this game because its too much of a lure but hopefully if that's the case we learn from it and can use all of our forwards in the future.

Hoping his presence allows Greene and Ramma to get free more, particularly if Lewis picks up a double team. Brockman has looked dangerous all season without a tall forward so can only imagine how much he is going to love having two of them this week. I trust that Sam has the players well drilled not to play Lewisball.

So a forward who kicks goals is doing his job despite low disposal counts, but a defender needs to rack them up even if he locks down his opponent?

Here's a stat you'll like, their "third best forward" kicked 0 goals. A defender's job is not to rack up disposals. There is no AFL standard for how many touches a defender should get. There never has been, there never will be.

Again, their "third best forward" is their Number 2 pick (first non-biddable pick) in the very same draft. A bloke who's also only 20, still developing and will definitely become their best forward in due time. How on Earth is playing DGB on him not doing him any good?! Should we be playing him on Cameron types who will Zac Dawson him week in week out?
In what world is Thilthorpe Adelaid’s 3rd best forward. He couldn’t even get a game in the their team at the start of the year and started the recent game on the bench, not making an appearance until almost halfway through the first qtr with TOG at 60%. If DGB had kept Tex to 0 goals, then there would be some merit in the argumen.

Posters were attacked for criticising DGB’s 3 possession game and suggesting he would lose his spot in the side. I look forward to those same people explaining how Sam Mitchell knows nothing about football

I remain hopeful DGB can be a good player but he hasn’t shown much since being drafted to suggest it
"attacked"

In what world is Thilthorpe Adelaid’s 3rd best forward. He couldn’t even get a game in the their team at the start of the year and started the recent game on the bench, not making an appearance until almost halfway through the first qtr with TOG at 60%. If DGB had kept Tex to 0 goals, then there would be some merit in the argumen.
Try following the conversation.

The amount of shi* I copped last week after saying DGB with 3 disposals wasn't good enough.
Now he's dropped
Really makes you think HMMMMMM
Golden Girls Rose GIF by TV Land

That whole draft year seems messed up. Even Logan McD was not able to get a game in Sydney and only this yr seems to be breaking out, just like Jamara. Riley T has regressed this yr. Brockman is listed as pick 10 in redraft with Gulden taking top( pick 32). Not sure who we would have picked if not DGB and they would likely be in same position.

We should try and get the best out of DGB possible instead of piling on him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That whole draft year seems messed up. Even Logan McD was not able to get a game in Sydney and only this yr seems to be breaking out, just like Jamara. Riley T has regressed this yr. Brockman is listed as pick 10 in redraft with Gulden taking top( pick 32). Not sure who we would have picked if not DGB and they would likely be in same position.

We should try and get the best out of DGB possible instead of piling on him.

Archie Perkins would have been nice. You can’t win them all.

Be interesting to see if we still look for Greene. Greene tends to lead out wide a lot so hoping Lewis and Ramma straighten us up and bring our smalls into play in dangerous positions.

This forum is quite a funny read
An opinion forum where posters cop it for having an opinion
And people send me messages wondering why I’m quiet nowadays
Sheesh
It's a discussion forum, not an opinion forum. You are free to give your opinion, just as others are free to critique that opinion.

Sounds like you just want to say whatever the * you like without anyone disagreeing with you.

Am I right in thinking that Ramsden joins Bramble, Newcombe and Blanck as yet ANOTHER MSD player who literally every other club completely missed?

This has to be some kind of off-the-charts success ratio.

Congrats to Hawthorn - incredible achievement.

For interests sake - Newcombe would have to be the pick of the bunch atm - how good can Ramsden be?

Are we talking David Hale level good?

FWIW - I reckon you are a sluggers chance against the Dogs - this is the type of fixture that sees them not take the opposition seriously - and it bites them on the behind.

Hawks by 24

Am I right in thinking that Ramsden joins Bramble, Newcombe and Blanck as yet ANOTHER MSD player who literally every other club completely missed?

For interests sake - Newcombe would have to be the pick of the bunch atm - how good can Ramsden be?

FWIW - I reckon you are a sluggers chance against the Dogs - this is the type of fixture that sees them not take the opposition seriously - and it bites them on the behind.

Hawks by 24
Said a while ago but I reckon we look back on the msd as being like a priority pick in a few years, add in reeves, greene and the group this year and it’s fundamentally changed how we have rebuilt

Hawks by 24
Well everyone player selected at MSD was overlooked by every club at some stage...but I am liking our "success" rate

Bramble was a SSP pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back