Review Round 7 = Essendon 85-85 Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Just want to float that watching live at the G (from the actual last row of the top floor), both McCreery and Schultz covered a lot of ground and ran hard to put the pressure on.
Sometimes their stats don’t reflect their effect.
You can see it quite clearly from the ground.

This is what frustrates me - seeing a game live you appreciate the work rate of players so much more, and their involvement or impact which is not so evident when watching on TV.

We dont have a player on the list that we could have brought in and turned around the clearances we needed our mids, DeGoey etc to play better. Subbing off Mitchell didnt help I will say

Subbing off Mitchell was one of the dumbest coaching moves of 2024

Sidebottom had SEVEN posessions

With almost 80% time on ground

But we dropped Reef because he apparently didn’t do enough last week in five minutes of game time lol

I thought that Essendon actually were fortunate to draw. Their first quarter start was bordering on miraculous. They were kicking goals from their a$$es. It was only due to that initial first quarter blitz that they were in a position to draw the game, once we started applying pressure and adjusting our defensive game. Their subsequent inaccuracy was more than matched by ours.
I thought HH had a fantastic impact on the game, and should play in the 22 next week.
Concerns about our defence remain, with lack of sync again costing us today.
I thought Noble was good today, however IQ is not having the impact we would expect.

Our midfield is a concern. Titch cannot by himself be the fortress in and under mid. He needs assistance. Maybe Sullivan needs to come in next week as well.

But we dropped Reef because he apparently didn’t do enough last week in five minutes of game time lol
Don't agree. If you watch the last quarter, Sidey was involved in several ball movement chains, both in defence and in offence. I think Titch was exhausted, and it was necesary to give him time off.
That is our Achilles heel atm. We only have Titch going in and under to get the brutal ground ball. He needs assistance, and and doesnt have it right now.

I think Fly is on SEN this coming Monday. Would love to know why he subbed off Mitchell and not Sidebottom, when Mitchell was getting hands on ball at centre clearance....
I love Mitchell but did you see him trying to pick up loose ground balls today?
I was cringing
It was like he was moving in quicksand

Collecting how many possessions? He has been tried as an inside mid but the coaches have not persevered with the experiment. I feel certain that had he proved effective in the midfield he would have been given more opportunity in this role.
He may have been tried for half a game. I don't expect him to get a lot of possessions but for him to batter the bodies of opposition midfielders and soften them up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A draw doesn't mean it was a good game. Apart from Elliott's mark, the general football skill from both teams was terrible. Fumbles and missed shots everywhere.

A few of our old boys looking very slow but not sure who else should be getting a game.

I thought it was a terrific game of footy, a draw probably a just result given the periods of dominance both sides had.

Reckon IQ may be the one missing Murphy the most. Seems to be a bit at sea at the moment.
Brody Mihocek, how he does what he does week after week is beyond me. Had the yips today but he’s such a competitor who gave himself the chances at least.

Feels like we’re in a strange spot ATM.

Last week’s win was a powerful statement against a rising side, where we smacked their precocious midfield.

This week we struggled, against a determined and well-coached team, yet still avoided a loss.

Our older players can’t seem to get going this season, playing in fits and starts. What is the coach to do? We haven’t lost a game in a month; we (amazingly) have had no injuries in that time; so there’s no call to make big changes and it’s difficult to find space for the fringe players or kids.

The Carlton game will be telling.

I’m still confident about our chances this year - our best (when we can produce it) is still exceptionally good.

JDG is getting more attention. You can see it each week. Even when he breaks through into a little clear space he is still under pressure
I think we need to be able to allow him the freedom to shift into the F50 at will and take his opponent there.
I’m not saying play forward exclusively in saying someone covers for him post stoppage and allows him to drift forward where he will cause damage with his opponent who won’t want to be dragged into the F50 to defend him 1v1.

A big roast to members of our backline- not just for today but for all season really.
Quaynor has yet to fire a shot all season too
Howe is in all sorts
Maynard is barely going.
A lot is being left to Moore and Frampton really keeping that back 6 together.
Bit harsh on Maynard had some amazing 1 percenters like the run down tackle and killed it in the air when they looked like getting a goal.
Admittedly they got one a few seconds later.

He has been good.

Quaynor having a mate this year.
Surely couldn't do any worse with Leggy or giving someone else a crack down there.

Good to see Darcy strong a couple good games together, seems to be turning the corner.

from my Delorean

Name the 4 goals. You’re making it up.

He was our best today, or at least in the top 3.
The first for Jones he went up with 3 other teammates and took his eye of Jones who walked in.

Peter Wright first goal he went to mark 3rd man in when he just had to spoil.
Wrights second goal and he gives away the free kick for holding which was there.
Draper goal, he comes in again from the side, no impact at all in a 2 on 1, over the back and Draper walks in.

Harry Jones should have had another 2 at least on him and one goal on transition there he is on the half forward flank while Essendon players streamed forward.
Even Pendles had to speak to him about his positioning at half time.

It’s a weekly thing and goes to show how often Murphy saved his ass on defence.

Reef needs to spend the off season with a fitness drill instructor so that he can go through the midfield as well

I found the draw really frustrating because in reality, we actually played really well.

Watching the game live, our pressure seemed off the charts for the most of the game, and ‘the swarm’ was in full effect, yet when in possession we were often frustratingly ineffectual, we mis-executed several of our several of our counter attacking breaks into open space on the wing and those shanks in the last quarter saw us fall short of what should have been a close win in an Anzac Day classic

I’ve got good faith that we’ll iron out those skill errors next week and pave some hot coals for the Blues to walk over next week in order to beat us.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back