Preview Round 7: Port Adelaide vs Brisbane Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

Forecasting a 4 goal breeze kicking to the riverbank end. Strongest breeze I remember for a Port game at AO since Cotchin won the toss and pointed towards the hill end :D
It's a good 'story' but that against the breeze is such a myth, we scored 40 points 'against the breeze' in the second quarter. 'Twas a great day...

It's a good 'story' but that against the breeze is such a myth, we scored 40 points 'against the breeze' in the second quarter. 'Twas a great day...
But the wind died down in the 2nd quarter. ;) - one of the commentators said it.

No myth, there was a strong swirling wind favouring the southern end. Tomorrow's forecast much the same, 20 knot wind northeast to northwest. It's not going to blow straight down the ground, never does when you have closed in stadiums.

Personally FWIW Richmond had little hope that day. We were on and they weren't. I'm just looking for positive reinforcement in the lead in to an important match.

Point is tomorrow's our home game, and similar to Hawthorn having a better conversion rate when at home, we need to use any advantage, like knowing how the wind plays to get us over the line.

As pointed out previously by others, we're in a similar position to 2015, however swapped Dixon for Ryder. The next two matches will tell us if we're any better than last year.

I'd take anything they serve up which gives us the points. If we can get the win with two quarters of God mode in it then added bonus.

No myth, there was a strong swirling wind favouring the southern end. Tomorrow's forecast much the same, 20 knot wind northeast to northwest. It's not going to blow straight down the ground, never does when you have closed in stadiums.

Personally FWIW Richmond had little hope that day. We were on and they weren't. I'm just looking for positive reinforcement in the lead in to an important match.

Point is tomorrow's our home game, and similar to Hawthorn having a better conversion rate when at home, we need to use any advantage, like knowing how the wind plays to get us over the line.

As pointed out previously by others, we're in a similar position to 2015, however swapped Dixon for Ryder. The next two matches will tell us if we're any better than last year.

I'd take anything they serve up which gives us the points. If we can get the win with two quarters of God mode in it then added bonus.

Na it was a myth, the wind was going across ground and favoring the riverbank end only slightly. The flags were blowing across ground, the wind where I was at ground level was going across, it was the biggest beat up ever for a very minor decision that had zero impact.

One thing to note for tomorrow, is that for anyone whose actually been to a game where the wind blows toward the riverbank end, the wind will swirl like crazy at the riverbank end. The ANZAC day eve game between Port and Norwood last year in the rain highlighted it beautifully. The wind blows towards the stand and sweeps up into the roof canopy and then comes straight back down. It makes kicks drop like a rock when they get caught in the swirl that starts about 20m out. It thus actually makes it quite difficult to score from range in those conditions even though you've seemingly got the breeze. So if the wind is going that way again, don't expect it to be significantly beneficial to either side.

We were spanking Richmond that day whether Cotchin kicked with the wind or against it.

We were spanking Richmond that day whether Cotchin kicked with the wind or against it.
But the fact that he chose to kick into the wind suggests a negative mindset before a ball was bounced. Starting a final on the front foot is paramount to success. Anyway, like you said: we were on that day - chances are it wouldn't have made a scrap of difference.

We all love a good rivalry and I consider the Lions to be our first genuine nemesis in the AFL.

It's not a rivalry based on jealousy or territory, but one that has spawned from intense competition. From frustrating draws and top of the table duels. From Preliminary despair and Grand delirium.

And it all started a lot earlier than you might think.

Once upon a time there was a football club, forged in working class suburbia, who came flying out of the blocks and dominated their competition, winning 5 premierships in their first 17 years. The Fitzroy Football Club. Back then they were know as they Unbeatables, and they were, that is until they faced the soon-to-become Invincibles. Another club from across the border, another who had also achieved 5 premierships during the same period. You guessed it! The Port Adelaide Football Club. They hammered Fitzroy in the 1913 Champions of Australia match by a hefty 63 points, landing the first blow in a rivalry that would resume many years later.

Whilst the two clubs were comparably successful in their formative years, that was certainly not the case by the time 1997 rolled around. Port had flourished beyond all reasonable belief, winning more titles than any other club in the land, demanding their place in the national competition. Fitzroy on the other hand had floundered miserably, traversing the bottom of the ladder for decades, before finally having their withered corpse stitched to an interstate franchise. But nevertheless, this was a new beginning for both clubs, one that saw Port Adelaide and the now Brisbane Lions battle each other relentlessly in an entertaining and fiery race to the top.

A true modern day rivalry was forged.

Anyway, time to jump back in the DeLorean and get back to the present day. It's Round 7 and Port are 3-3, whilst Brisbane are 1-5. Sorry, someone set the damn clock to 2015, let's try that again. OK. Round 7, 2016, Port 3-3, Brisbane 1-5.

Right.

So it seems like a little bit of history repeating, but hopefully we learnt a bit from last year's debacle. We went into that game as clear favourites but for one reason or another they pulled our pants down and we got humiliated by 37 points. So we certainly shouldn't underestimate them this time around.

As we all know we've been wildly inconsistent so far this season, but this round has shown us a few things. Firstly, that we've got what it takes to turn it around, but also that our losses have been against 3 clubs who could very well be contending this year, so maybe we're not travelling as badly as first thought. However this weekend has also revealed that Brisbane are not as bad as their record suggests either, with their 5 losses being against the current top 4 and a rising Eagles outfit.

So what do we make of it all? Well, I'm not too sure to be honest. I feel like playing at home gives us an edge, but I am worried about the influence of Martin and some of their onballers such as Zorko, Rockliff, Hanley and co. I think they will prove to be more formible than Richmond were so we really need to be on our game. It's also hard to judge how competitive we will be when our final 22 is so far from being finalised. Will Gray and/or Wingard be back? Does Lobbe come back in?

There are lots of unknowns, but right now I'm feeling good about things and keen to see another chapter written in this rivalry, one that I think will give us a little bit of redemption.

Port by 37 pts.
My partner is a Fitzroy/Brisbane supporter so one of us will be happy. Love your intro.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A cricket mate of mine was in Thailand and got a massage. At end the lady kept saying henree henree....he wondered why she kept calling him Henry until she finally pointed to the target zone. Ahhhhhh hand releeee. Always gets a laugh

Yeah - he's not shaking off that nickname for the rest of his life haha

Hmmm. Looking better by the minute.

Forecast for the rest of Sunday
Summary
light-showers.png

Max 21
Possible shower.
Possible rainfall: 0 to 2 mm
Chance of any rain: 40%
rain_40.gif

Adelaide area
Cloudy. Medium (40%) chance of showers, becoming less likely late this afternoon and evening. The chance of a thunderstorm in the late morning and afternoon. Winds northeasterly 25 to 30 km/h turning northerly 25 to 40 km/h during the morning.

Wasn't it 9 frees to 2 in that first quarter with Anth Miles winning half of them out of the middle?

They're fortunate to not have gone in 70-80 points down.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back