Preview Round 7: Port Adelaide vs Brisbane Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

Good preview Pappagallo

Lobbe being assessed for a knee injury takes away any temptation for Ken to call him straight back. Wingard will return, but I think we will generally keep faith in the Tiger-tamers.

Brisbane present a far different challenge to Richmond. Their strength is in the midfield, and with goals from running players. Their KPFs are more structural, although they will probably bring back Schache after resting him last week.

Away from the Gabba, the Lions can be awful sometimes, and whilst we should not take them lightly, they threw up a huge effort against the Swans but still went down, and the inconsistency of young teams indicates that they may well have a downer this week.

Port by 6 goals.
You pretty much got it right. One added concern for us Lions is that Dixon always plays well against us and he looks to be slowly moving into some nice form. With Clarke gone Merrett really is our only option there. Westoff also seems to match up well against us - if he plays forward expect Andrews to go with him. Wingard will worry us if he returns. And if you get Gray No.1 back it could be sayonara.

You pretty much got it right. One added concern for us Lions is that Dixon always plays well against us and he looks to be slowly moving into some nice form. With Clarke gone Merrett really is our only option there. Westoff also seems to match up well against us - if he plays forward expect Andrews to go with him. Wingard will worry us if he returns. And if you get Gray No.1 back it could be sayonara.
not going to happen, said it was a 2-3 weeker. unlikely that we would risk him with Brisbane and Carlton coming up

To be fair the 5 sides that we've lost to are 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 6th on the ladder and are likely to stay there for the rest of the year, we also played the eagles in perth and geelong at simmonds which never helps. Still, I'm never confident when playing away as we're not the same side as we are at the Gabba.

we didnt play the Cats at simonds. it was a home game

lol you're replying to a Brisbane supporter tho

I will assume this ^ is a tongue in cheek throw away line. TheZork has come in peace with mature respectful and complimentary posts.

I don't think hazard's response was out of line. He was merely pointing out to MrCricket1009 that TheZork is a Lions fan ergo "they" did play Geelong in Geelong.

Pathetic time slot a real slap in the face gonna be a not so good crowd understandable as spending time with the family really should come first

Luckily enough my old cheese is a Port fan since the day she was born thank god my nanna choose port and not centrals lol
Exactly the same timeslot as last year's debacle at the Gabba. Hopefully a different venue means a different result!

I'm a bit scared about this one. I had a great feeling against Richmond and had a feeling we'd win that game but this one leaves me feeling uneasy. I have a feeling Brisbane will come out firing and kick a few goals in the 1st qtr which will knock our confidence. I hope I'm wrong and I'm hoping our boys come out firing from the first bounce.

If we want to play finals these are the games that we need to win and win comfortably. Brisbane are coming of a tough, wet and mentally challenging game. There shouldn't be any excuses for not beating them.

Yeah rubbish time slot and I can feel the tarp 119 jokes coming on. But as they say'jealousy is a curse' and some of the supposed big 4 teams would love 35,000 to a crap time slot. Has norf or st Kilda even had 35,000 to a game ever?
Port crowd numbers are officially no longer a thing - the ridicule should be focussed on some of the ludicrously low numbers in Melbourne. The Tigers v Hawks figure will be interesting on Friday night.

Brisbane are going ok
We could easily be 1-5 or even 0-6 with their draw.

We still have a lot to work on. Defensively better but offensively still not getting any easy possession or spread.

Brisbane are a team we will need to defend well against or it could be very ugly, they can score.

Well it's very doubtful Wingard will be back, and Gray definitely won't.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Love the preview. Port v Lions is one of the underrated rivalries in footy :thumbsu:

We're a different team at the Gabba so it will be interesting to see if we show up for what should be perceived as a winnable game. On the surface you'd think Martin should have a big advantage in the ruck but he has never been a huge hit-outs to advantage player, more an additional midfielder that covers the ground.

I think the game will be won and lost with Charlie. Key forwards have a habit of towelling us up over the last 1.5 years, so if he gets off the chain you guys will win. Merrett is coming into a bit of form so it should be a good battle.

Don't mind me dropping in. Unfortunately for us, Richmond have played you into some semblance of form.

I think our interstate form is too inconsistent for me to be very confident here.

Bookies have it about right, Port by 27(.5).
Nah, you're welcome. You played a great game v Sydney, we found not so much form but heart and effort. I don't know if you're old enough to remember our late season H&A game here in 2002 but that's the sort of game we all want again. Coming over?

I want some Wingard magic this weekend.
I don't want you slitting your wrists while you're still recovering from hearing about Robbie Gray but there's no certainty Chad will be back. Trengove yes, for sure, Chad probably.

I don't want you slitting your wrists while you're still recovering from hearing about Robbie Gray but there's no certainty Chad will be back. Trengove yes, for sure, Chad probably.
Not sure what exactly you are referring to but yes losing Robbie and Chad last week was a big deal, we need them both back, Jacko not so much.

Our two most embarrassing losses last year were against Brisbane and Carlton. This year we got the chance to make amends for both of them in consecutive weeks.

Lions deserve some respect. They thrashed us last year and were very unlucky to fall short of the Swans so they'll be hungry, desperate and full of confidence this week. Carlton on the other hand...well I hope we smash them but that's next week, I'll just focus on Brisbane this week.

Love the preview. Port v Lions is one of the underrated rivalries in footy :thumbsu:

We're a different team at the Gabba so it will be interesting to see if we show up for what should be perceived as a winnable game. On the surface you'd think Martin should have a big advantage in the ruck but he has never been a huge hit-outs to advantage player, more an additional midfielder that covers the ground.

I think the game will be won and lost with Charlie. Key forwards have a habit of towelling us up over the last 1.5 years, so if he gets off the chain you guys will win. Merrett is coming into a bit of form so it should be a good battle.
Vs Port and with his form on an upward curve I'm jumping on Stef Martin in Fantasy and thinking he'll clean up this week. He'll present a real problem for us.

Knew about North and the Bulldogs but was not immediately aware of the others. Sounds like draws are still at the mercy of the AFL, doesn't it? The draw is done on the 6/6/6 basis for the year but you're starting your season with 4 teams that finished the 2015 finals in the top 6.
The draws kinda funny like that isn't it, The Lions have had an incredibly bad run to start, yet the Crows who were tipped to have the hardest start have ended up playing 2 bottom 4 sides, the 11th place side and 3 top 8 sides, of which they're 1 and 2. It's amazing how quick it can turn around, but it's hard to argue that who you get drawn against has a clear impact on results.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back