Preview Round 7: Port Adelaide vs Brisbane Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

Pathetic time slot a real slap in the face gonna be a not so good crowd understandable as spending time with the family really should come first

Luckily enough my old cheese is a Port fan since the day she was born thank god my nanna choose port and not centrals lol

You can never tell with our lot- so hard to predict a margin. If we get off to good starts or get ahead in the game, we think we are fricken amazing, and then we go soft. If any other team kicks 3 goals in a row we go soft.
Hopefully we turned a corner against Richmond but they are super soft.
Prepare for a frustrating battle. We will win but it will be ugly

Can we not predict a s**t crowd? It's like you wanna give ammo to the tarps brigade.

My old lady is a Port lady, so Mothers Day will be spent at the game. Regardless of that, it starts at 4:10, so there's really no excuse to not get your s**t over and done with early in the day.

Can we not predict a s**t crowd? It's like you wanna give ammo to the tarps brigade.

My old lady is a Port lady, so Mothers Day will be spent at the game. Regardless of that, it starts at 4:10, so there's really no excuse to not get your s**t over and done with early in the day.
Except if your mother wants tea herpaderp

Anyway, I am not bothered by the bandwagoner tarps jokes any more. If we look at other teams and their 'supporter base' (member and non member) versus how many actually attend games (i.e. proportion of the total) then we are up there with the best. I also note that, if it is true that Crows have about 2/3 of our state's footy following public under their colours, then they are massively underachieving as they should sell-out every single game at Adelaide oval. They really have no argument.,

We all love a good rivalry and I consider the Lions to be our first genuine nemesis in the AFL ......
I agree. So many good high-level games between us back in the early 2000s.
Also I found your revisit of old pre-AFL clashes with Fitzroy very interesting.
Hopefully we are not relying on stretcher calls to win this one. But it could be a very good game if we turn up with the heart we showed against Richmond.

Last edited:
Also I found your revisit of pre-AFL old clashes with Fitzroy very interesting.
Hopefully we are not relying on stretcher calls to win this one. But it could be a very good game if we turn up with the heart we showed against Richmond.
It could do Voss the world of good to get a win for his midfield too.

Remember that although Brisbane do have some very good players in Zorko, Robinson, Rockliff and S.Martin so do Richmond in D.Martin, Houli, Ellis and Grigg. And although D.Martin, Houli and Grigg turned up the rest of their players didn't or were smothered by ours. There is no doubt S.Martin will give them first use of the ball, but Hampson and Maric had a huge ascendancy as well and even though they also won centre clearances we did enough for that not to matter. But our midfield must do more this time; Hampson and Maric did not get as many to advantage as Martin will and the Richmond clearances were in the main pretty haphazard which allowed us to clean up. This will not happen again.
Another thing, while the Lions are 1 and 5 they have played 4 teams from last years top 6 plus Geelong and the Suns. That is 6 teams who are in the eight(Gold Coast were in the eight up till round 5).

4:10 is a s**t time slot in 22 other rounds but it's the best time slot for Mother's Day. Traditionally Mother's Day is celebrated as a morning or lunch thing, so there's time to do both.

Luckily for me my mum has been going to every Port game since before I was born, so no chance of a conflict. If we had a 12:40 game and I asked her what she wanted to do for Mother's Day she'd say '* off, the footy's on'.

Last edited:
lol you're replying to a Brisbane supporter tho
I will assume this ^ is a tongue in cheek throw away line. TheZork has come in peace with mature respectful
and complimentary posts. Like 'western royboy' always welcome.
We are going to have to play well to win. That 'stretcher' incident, although I haven't seen it sounds ****'en outrageous.
If so Leppa has every reason to be filthy and the $wans can give a full explanation.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brion the lion to make it's return this week?
images

Buy ya mum's a ticket for the game, get the free kiddies tickets, have ya mum's day roast/bbq whatever at 12.00, then come to the footy. :)

Dixon v Merrett looks like a great match up for Dixon.
need to man up on Zorko this weekend (O Wines the man for the job), the bloke is some cracking form atm. We can not let him do his own thing.

Trengove probably has too come back in now that Lobbe is injured. We should rotate the 4 big blokes (Hoff/Dixon/Trengove/Howard) through the ruck.
It seemed to help Dixon and Westhoff get into the game last week, so hopefully it works with JT as well.

If we want to play finals these are the games that we need to win and win comfortably. Brisbane are coming of a tough, wet and mentally challenging game. There shouldn't be any excuses for not beating them.

Yeah rubbish time slot and I can feel the tarp 119 jokes coming on. But as they say'jealousy is a curse' and some of the supposed big 4 teams would love 35,000 to a crap time slot. Has norf or st Kilda even had 35,000 to a game ever?

Also I found your revisit of old pre-AFL clashes with Fitzroy very interesting.

Glad you liked it. It's interesting how things ended up for Fitzroy despite their early dominance. Regardless of how it came to be I think there's a lesson in there for everyone.

Never take success for granted.

Good preview Pappagallo

Lobbe being assessed for a knee injury takes away any temptation for Ken to call him straight back. Wingard will return, but I think we will generally keep faith in the Tiger-tamers.

Brisbane present a far different challenge to Richmond. Their strength is in the midfield, and with goals from running players. Their KPFs are more structural, although they will probably bring back Schache after resting him last week.

Away from the Gabba, the Lions can be awful sometimes, and whilst we should not take them lightly, they threw up a huge effort against the Swans but still went down, and the inconsistency of young teams indicates that they may well have a downer this week.

Port by 6 goals.

Don't mind me dropping in. Unfortunately for us, Richmond have played you into some semblance of form.

I think our interstate form is too inconsistent for me to be very confident here.

Bookies have it about right, Port by 27(.5).

I'm actually going and my Chinese friends are keen to go for this one too, so that's a few extras! They are buying in big time even though we are average. They watched the Richmond game from home and she says "Another good win for port Adelaide" I said "we are 3 wins 3 losses for the season" and she goes "To me, that is not too bad."

She has watched three games this year.

St Kilda, Essendon and Richmond.

Taking her to this game means we are a dead cert.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back