Discussion Round 8, 2015 - Footy Jumper Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

That's incredibly odd. Why didn't he just ask him for an autograph at a stoppage?

Would players have ever swapped jumpers after a home and away game before?

I haven't see it happen in a while but I remember it happening a few times in the last 10 or so years.

That's incredibly odd. Why didn't he just ask him for an autograph at a stoppage?

Would players have ever swapped jumpers after a home and away game before?
Hird and Archer in their last game against each other.
James-Hird-5484548.jpg
rfGALHIRD2_gallery__453x400.jpg

Top bloke Juddy.

Judd is a pretty good guy, he took the time to take a photo with me back in 2005 at Melbourne Airport even though he was running late for his plane.

Have the signed photo hanging up. :thumbsu:

Judd is a pretty good guy, he took the time to take a photo with me back in 2005 at Melbourne Airport even though he was running late for his plane.

Have the signed photo hanging up. :thumbsu:
Lemme guess, He missed his flight; making him hate you, and to an extension all WC fans. He then realized the annoyance of continually flying all over the place, and it then dawned on him how much easier it would be to play in Melbourne regularly. This ultimately forced his hand, which ended in him leaving for Carlton?

So basically, you're the reason he left West Coast? ;)

Last edited:
Lemme guess. He missed his flight, making him hate you; and to an extension all WC fans. Whilst also realizing the annoyance of continually flying all over thr place,and realized how much easier it would be to play in Melbourne regularly; therefore deciding to leave for Carlton?

So basically, you're the reason he left West Coast? ;)

We won the trade so you should be thanking me. :rainbow:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From the Herald Sun

GLENN Archer is furious at suggestions he was being disrespectful to James Hird by not wearing the Essendon champion's jumper from the ground after Friday night's match at Telstra Dome.

The two veterans exchanged jumpers after the Kangaroos-Essendon game because it represents the last time the two will probably play against each other.

After the swap, Hird pulled on Archer's jumper, while Archer threw Hird's over his shoulder.

"People are saying that I was disrespectful to Hirdy for not wearing his jumper off the ground. Those people need to go and get a life," Archer said.

"That really annoyed me. I regard myself as a very fortunate bloke to have James Hird's jumper. The next day I saw photos of Hirdy wearing my jumper. I didn't know he'd actually put it on.

"It got me thinking that I should have put his on."

Archer rang Hird on Saturday to assure him he was not being disrespectful.

"He just wanted to talk about it," Hird said.

"He didn't want it to be seen as disrespectful.

"I thought it was good that he rang, and it's disappointing if people have taken it the wrong way.

"He probably couldn't get mine on, anyway. He's a bit bigger than I am."

Archer confirmed the idea to swap jumpers was Hird's, but that the furore caused by not putting it on would probably stop him from doing it again.

"We were seeking each other out to shake hands and, as we did so, he said, 'Would you like to swap jumpers?' " he said.

"I said, 'I'd bloody love to'. I thought it was a fantastic idea.

"Everything then happened pretty quick. I put it over my shoulder and Ricky Olarenshaw (Channel 7) came over to interview me straight away.

"I wasn't sure what to do . . . what the protocol was . . . so I pulled a jacket on and walked off. Now, I don't know if I'd do it again. I suppose it depends on the opposition player. Robert Harvey, Bucks . . . there are a few great players getting close to retirement.

"If I did do it again, maybe I'd do it in the rooms."

Archer says the jumper is now headed for his pool room wall. "Frame it and hang it . . . one of my prized possessions," he said.

"My wife was going to wash it and I said, 'Hey, don't wash it'. It's got some dirt on the front. You don't wash it.

"I'll just catch up with Hirdy in the next few days and get him to sign it."

NM_Mitchell

Remove this Banner Ad

Back