Preview Round 8, 2024 : Bulldogs v Hawks, 4pm 5th May, Marvel Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I only have the 1 in and out: Out: Chol In: Phillips. I'm sure there will be a couple more and don't mind who.
Play Phillips, Serong and Frost on the 3 talls with Scrimshaw intercepting.

The only reason for my 1 in and out is: Please put Sicily up forward to try to get him out of whatever he is going through at the moment.

He used to be decent. Not exactly setting the place on fire down back at the moment, wouldn’t mind the mix up, might stir something in him.
he showed signs at the start of his career for sure.

He's been tried there a few qtrs over the last couple years and just gets pushed out of the contest to easily now though.

Let’s bring in Reeves and make him sub I guess.
This is the kind of thinking which will get you recruited into the Hawthorn coaching staff

Louis Litt Genius GIF by Suits

We are a developing side we shouldn’t be throwing out things we don’t plan to continue with for one game. Can’t play reeves and meek nor Breust and Gunston in the same side.
Happy with weddle forward with Ramsden and Gunston. Moore Ginnivan Hardwick given no weightman. Frost scrimshaw Serong Sicily impey Mitchell down back. Meek day newk Worpel morrison Amon. Bench is Nash Mass Mackenzie Cmac Maginness with CMac to sub.

Reeves in? No point in having a tall target that cannot mark the ball and is a witches hat defensively.
Yeh, you don't like Reeves, we get it. It's not his fault your mate made that stupid bet.

I'd prefer the magnets aren't switched around too much. Let our best players play to their strengths.

Sicily and hardwick back. Does that release Amon to play more on the wing and hopefully some cleaner F50 entries. Weddle, Scrimshaw, Sicily and Frost gives us enough height to cover their talls.

Need to back our mids - can't see anyone coming in doing better.

Fwd line is a problem but the dogs defenders, particularly the talls, are garbage. We need a contest in the air and then go small I reckon. Hoping both Wiz and Breust are good to go. We need Gusnton for this game but once Lewis and Chol are back he is out.

In: Wiz, D'Ambrosio, Breust
Out: Serong, Chol, Morrison

Sub: Mitchell / D'ambrosio / Macdonald.

The only other consideration would be to play Reeves and Meek - just for this week to provide some height fwd. But I think its pointless - Reeves in particular needs the ball on his head or he can't get to the contest & then both are statues when it hits teh deck.

Could play Calsher but I get the feeling his goal tally at Box Hill is flattering him & he needs continuous games and development. Playing him is too big a risk of negatively impacting the growth. Patience.

Yeh, you don't like Reeves, we get it. It's not his fault your mate made that stupid bet.

Give over will you. "Liking" a player has nothing to do with it. Reeves doesn't mark the ball, isn't a forward target and is a witches hat defensively. You're in denial if you think otherwise.

Reeves was good as a solo ruck last year, but he doesn't work with Meek.

As for my mate, he should have bet 50 games instead.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Give over will you. "Liking" a player has nothing to do with it. Reeves doesn't mark the ball, isn't a forward target and is a witches hat defensively. You're in denial if you think otherwise.

You clearly have a grudge against him given you take every possible opportunity to pot the bloke. It's getting tiresome. You never used to be this negative towards players.

surely if we bring him in it would be to play Meek as a fwd and Reeves as the main ruck

which doesn't sound great either but i agree it's probably better than launching Dear into being triple-teamed on every fwd entry

Phillips in, Sic can play a bit looser and even some more mid time like he's been getting, and Weddle/Scrim (even both) fwd seems the best solution, but we may want to play an extra tall given how big the dogs are. Might even give Serong another game on matchups alone

His clearly correct so don't understand why everyone is so b***hurt
Agree last year some people were IMO over the top in their praise for Reeves and correlated his hitout wins with our midfield performance. His hit out wins were mid table and to advantage was about 6th of the recognised ruckman and mid table overall as a % around 30%. In other key stats like metres gained marks disposals clearances scoring he ranks last or close enough to it, on par with players like Andrew Philips and Mason Cox in 2023. And he turned 26 this year it’s not like he’s early 20s. The critique of Reeves is totally fair and if it seems over the top my feeling is that was to counter balance what felt like an equally over the top defence of him.

Really curious to read about how training has been this week?
Wiz coming in I think would be hilarious because half of his professional games will have been against the Dogs

Agree last year some people were IMO over the top in their praise for Reeves and correlated his hitout wins with our midfield performance. His hit out wins were mid table and to advantage was about 6th of the recognised ruckman and mid table overall as a % around 30%. In other key stats like metres gained marks disposals clearances scoring he ranks last or close enough to it, on par with players like Andrew Philips and Mason Cox in 2023. And he turned 26 this year it’s not like he’s early 20s. The critique of Reeves is totally fair and if it seems over the top my feeling is that was to counter balance what felt like an equally over the top defence of him.
Couldn't agree more. The Reeves defenders were over the top - the usual stat mining would take place and we'd be fed a few select stats thay at a stretch could justify the staunch defence.

The rule change has given the Reeves defenders an easy out. He simply was not performing across enough key stats to keep justifying selection.

FB19 summed it up nicely.

Meek can be good around the ground but reality is he is taking 0.3 more marks per game, 0.5 less tackles per game than a player people describe as a witches hat. And he doesnt give us the silver service reeves did last year….you are arguing over which flavour of ‘adequate’ you like. 🤪

It's time to move on some players from their set positions. If the midfield is not working I am getting blokes that can give and go and run thru lines and hit a target around it (Moore, Ambrosio, Amon ) I dont see a need for both Nash,Finn with W.Day back in the line up. If C-Mac cant hit the scoreboard forward regularly or is not trusted enough defensively to play in the center rotation he plays at boxhill.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back