Review Round 9, 2024 - Adelaide vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against Adelaide?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Sometimes when McKenna kicked around the corner up in the air to nobody in particular, it felt like answerth from 2 years ago was back on the ground playing.

That's actually a very good comp.

It's sickening that Harris doesn't even rate a mention in the media when they are talking AA.

He's been the Rock of Gibraltar down back . Just superb and just doesn't get beaten one on one,

That so-called "howler" of his tonight was more plain bad luck than a real howler. He got scragged on his kick at the last moment and had the misfortune of miskicking it straight to Rankine's breadbasket. I don't think HA could have done that if he tried.

Cal was great apart from missing a soda first up but the player who's really come on in the last 4-5 weeks is Jerry..

He seems to have at last developed into the player I hoped he would become when we first drafted him.

It's sickening that Harris doesn't even rate a mention in the media when they are talking AA.

He's been the Rock of Gibraltar down back . Just superb and just doesn't get beaten one on one,

That so-called "howler" of his tonight was more plain bad luck than a real howler. He got scragged on his kick at the last moment and had the misfortune of miskicking it straight to Rankine's breadbasket. I don't think HA could have done that if he tried.

Cal was great apart from missing a soda first up but the player who's really come on in the last 4-5 weeks is Jerry..

He seems to have at last developed into the player I hoped he would become when we first drafted him.
Hopefully Rayner ends up on the same sort of timeline and eventually gets there as well.

Yep agreed. Aside from the contested marks, my favourite Andrews play was a spoil in the goal square where he was running back with the flight and had to get the perfect jump to avoid giving away a free kick. I don’t think many defenders in the league would have been capable of that one

Sorry mate, don't get me wrong, it was a fantastic game but the draw doesn't help us or them. As far as making finals goes it's more or less the same as a loss. If you see how animated the oppo coach was and everyone else involved you can tell that both teams know this. Draws should be delt with with extra time and or golden goal. 👍
Call me old-fashion. I don’t mind the draw on principle. We’ve finally been in one. 2 points is better than no points, but not as good as 4 points.
You never know this season. Essendon and Collingwood also had a draw - so 2 other sides that we could be close to.

Clearly a win would have been better, but considering the match and our season, i’m still going glass half full.

As for the newbies it's not hard to see Brain could be a natural.

Be interested to see whether he can sustain it over a full game at this point but he has some self evident qualities.

Reville could be good . Just needs to build his fitness in the off season.

Morris isn't right up to speed just yet. He's got enough qualities to persevere with for the next 3 or 4 years. Right now I don't think he's any answer to anything , needs to build up , probably gets a game by default. He still looks like a kid.

Sharp is a lot better than what he was so with his tank and pace we have to keep him in for the rest of the year and hope he goes on with it.

I completely forgot most of our team played 90%+ ToG last week. Plus given how light on we were to defend Rankine and Rachelle etc, I thought we did very well in the end. Obviously our own worst enemies at times, but respect to the players for backing up with a strong performance.

3KZ would have given him a vote due to his total infatuation with all things Froggy
Nah he was rubbish today and he will know it. Payne was brilliant one minute, brain explodingly bad the next, but he did a some great work in the air and gets a pass. Andrews was the same. McKenna could be the worst kick in our side. The defence could be excused somewhat by how poor our midfield was. Got killed in the middle today.

All that said, I want to mention Berry - he was our best by a mile today. A really gutsy effort.

Last edited:
I completely forgot most of our team played 90%+ ToG last week. Plus given how light on we were to defend Rankine and Rachelle etc, I thought we did very well in the end. Obviously our own worst enemies at times, but respect to the players for backing up with a strong performance.
Yeah. In the cold light of day we stuck to it and gave ourselves enough chances to win.

Our finishing has been ordinary all year and tonight no exception but as usual nailed a couple of blinders.

I think Ah Chee in the forward line gave us more steadiness in that he snagged a couple that we haven't been getting from anyone else.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Match-ups we're keen for

Jake Soligo vs Cam Rayner

Two rising stars of the competition that possess plenty of x-factor and come Sunday afternoon either one could be the difference in helping their side claim a pivotal win. Soligo is fast becoming the engine that makes the Crows midfield go and Rayner, well as Lions fans know, can turn a game right on its head with his power to break through contest and kick clutch goals.

It's going to be one hell of a showdown between these two men and we’re going to be behind Pumbaa all the way as he and our midfield crop look to get the job done. - Lions Website

The Lions publicity department has to stop this nonsense too. Rayner is no ‘rising star’ and was terrible today. They can lose the “Pumba” nonsense too. Ten disposals, no goals and generally stunk it up. He is NOT, repeat NOT a selling point, although my son did say he was “selling” today.

For the record:
Rayner 10 Disposals
Soligo 28 Didposals

Jarrod Berry's contract worth will be going up by the week, in career best form for an extended period now, I think some clubs will be reassessing his worthiness as a potential in for 2025... could get some reasonably big offers now.

giphy.gif

The Lions publicity department has to stop this nonsense too. Rayner is no ‘rising star’ and was terrible today. They can lose the “Pumba” nonsense too. Ten disposals, no goals and generally stunk it up. He is NOT, repeat NOT a selling point, although my son did say he was “selling” today.

For the record:
Rayner 10 Disposals
Soligo 28 Didposals
I just rewatched the last couple of minutes.

Honestly ,does he have something wrong with his eyes ?

Was there to win the game unopposed and put both hands up together and naturally the ball bounced off.

He lacks skill. That's the biggest issue. Why on earth we don't get him in the stoppages of which there were plenty where he can use his best asset ,his strength and burst.

I'm just done with him now . He hardly ever chases. Overrated.

Felt like we lost (drew) it in the middle, and that was basically where we're full strength.

I do wonder whether the lack of pressure and positioning once Adelaide won the ball was dead legs from the last week though. Not sure how much slack (or not) I should be cutting them.

Dawson went to another level in that last quarter. Next time have to be proactive and prepare to move Berry or Dunkley to shut him down.

That was a holding the ball pulled out of the Umpires anus, he was grabbed instantly and had 1 arm pinned to him in the tackle.

The lack of consistency in the holding the ball decisions is so f ing frustrating.
Spot on; I saw #4 from Carlton run about 10 metres and Neal Bullen perfectly executed a tackle and #4 drops the ball and doesn’t correctly dispose of it and it’s nothing; same with Rioli against Cats last night and yet in cue these muppet umpires who say they want respect ping a first gamer from a small intestate team when he had absolutely no chance. The umpires have NFI what HTB is and they’re all FOS.

I just rewatched the last couple of minutes.

Honestly ,does he have something wrong with his eyes ?

Was there to win the game unopposed and put both hands up together and naturally the ball bounced off.

He lacks skill. That's the biggest issue. Why on earth we don't get him in the stoppages of which there were plenty where he can use his best asset ,his strength and burst.

I'm just done with him now . He hardly ever chases. Overrated.

His shoulders are cooked. That's why we don't play him inside as well as in stoppages.
(let me start a rumor and see if people buy it)

From my perspective.

Neale payne and Andrews your 3 best players.

Neale had a poor game by his standards. Did not get a clean ball to burst away from the stoppage, was constantly under pressure. That's credit to Adelaide.

Nah he was rubbish today and he will know it. Payne was brilliant one minute, brain explodingly bad the next, but he did a sone great work in the air and gets a pass. Andrews was the same. McKenna could be the worst kick in our side. The defence could be excused somewhat by how poor our midfield was. Got killed in the middle today.

All that said, I want to talk mention Berry - he was our best by a mile today. A really gutsy effort.

I'm impressed :thumbsu:

You were big enough to admit that Frog had a stinker.

moreover, you're comments on both Payne and Berry were spot on IMO.

Especially Payne. Did some great things then almost immediately undid a few of them with shocking turnovers. He's not skilled enough by hand or foot to play the fast play on game after he takes an intercept mark.

Back