Game Day Round 9 vs. WCE, Marvel, 1:00pm Sun 12/05

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We’re ninth, with next rounds games having the eight sides above us involved in four games against each other.
We must win v WCE and can watch four teams currently above us lose. A great opportunity to move well inside the Top 8.
An important game coming up.
A must win game for sure, but we still need to keep an eye on finals. We need to rest players that are not fit and I’d like to get some of the VFL players in, Fin in particular needs AFL games. West Coast is the perfect side to give Finn, Richards (given Beau will miss) or Reef a go…Adelaide also a softer opponent. They need continuity for development and confidence.

Would also either relegate Sidebottom to sub or give him a rest.

We’re ninth, with next rounds games having the eight sides above us involved in four games against each other.
We must win v WCE and can watch four teams currently above us lose. A great opportunity to move well inside the Top 8.
An important game coming up.
A must win game for sure, but we still need to keep an eye on finals. We need to rest players that are not fit and I’d like to get some of the VFL players in, Fin in particular needs AFL games. West Coast is the perfect side to give Finn, Richards (given Beau will miss) or Reef a go…Adelaide also a softer opponent. They need continuity for development and confidence.

Would also either relegate Sidebottom to sub or give him a rest.

Re Reef, has talent no doubt, but it’s really hard identifying his best spot.
3rd tall, flanker or midfielder?
If what he was doing in the VFL on the weekend translates - gun medium forward who can cut teams up in all ways. It was a wow game, I thought.

If we win, I have the ladder as this. Big week! And the blues where they belong 😂
View attachment 1980736

I think Carlton will topple the Dees. And I know it's blasphemous, but I hope they do. We need to finish top 4 so the more games lost by current top 4 teams the better.

Revised changes.

IN: McInnes, Macrae
OUT: McCreery (injured), Schulz (suspension)

B: I.Quaynor - B.Frampton - J.Howe
HB: B.Maynard - D.Moore - J.Noble
C: J.Daicos - S.Pendlebury - W.Hoskin-Elliott
HF: P.Lipinski - B.Mihocek - H.Harrison
F: J.Elliott - R.McInnes - B.Hill
R: D.Cameron - J.Crisp - N.Daicos
I: O.Markov - F.Macrae - L.Sullivan - M.Cox
S: S.Sidebottom

Rather than just play Fin as the sub, I would opt to make that Sidebottom, and see if Fin can prove he is up to it. With that change, Hosk to the wing with Reef playing as that secondary tall.

Yeo and waterman have been two huge reasons for the eagles turnaround. If they both miss, that’s two big outs. Softens the blow of some of the likely personnel we are missing
Their best midfielder and their best forward out is huge.

Waterman has kicked 24 goals and is =2nd in the Coleman medal. The gap between he and the next most goals for West Coast is 14, which is how many goals our leading goalkickers have. Huge avenue to scoring for them gone. Yeo was also 6th for them in goals.

Sorry if I’m late to the party, but I only just realised the top 8 all play each other this week. As good a week as any to start 9th, I guess, and with 4.5 wins from our last five games.
Could finish as high as 5th if the round falls our way (wins to Melbourne, Geelong, Sydney & GWS)

Their best midfielder and their best forward out is huge.

Waterman has kicked 24 goals and is =2nd in the Coleman medal. The gap between he and the next most goals for West Coast is 14, which is how many goals our leading goalkickers have. Huge avenue to scoring for them gone. Yeo was also 6th for them in goals.
Massive outs for WCE. As well as Oscar Allen out currently

Tim Kelly normally tears us a new one though with Sheed

Could finish as high as 5th if the round falls our way (wins to Melbourne, Geelong, Sydney & GWS)

Whatever is best for our chances of top four by the end of the year, not too stressed about our relative ladder position in the here and now.

Whatever is best for our chances of top four by the end of the year, not too stressed about our relative ladder position in the here and now.
Yep. Need top 4. 4 finals in a row without a break would be a big ask for an old team. Just keep winning and barrack against GWS, Melb, Carlton, Geelong and Sydney.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mitchell has appendicitis

3e86d7b5495c790da7a8b1da0e31d09f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Sorry Mr Mitchell, it's AppendicPlantar fasciitis" says the now-sacked Dr.

Poor old Wombat can't take a trick. At least it won't affect him for too long - recovery from that would only be a week or two I guess?

Wow, Yeo and Waterman out for WCE - their two most in-form and impactful players. They have been cursed by injury over the past few years. I almost feel a bit sorry for their supporters. Almost.

If we're truly back on track for a deep finals run, then we need to win this conclusively.

OUT - McCreery (inj), Schultz (dumb)
IN - McInnes, Bytel/Macrae

Full games please for Sullivan and Harrison.

My preference is to give Bytel a run as the sub, in case he can come in and have immediate impact, just like Harrison and Sullivan. But our selectors will probably go with the safe/bland option of Macrae again.
Waterman is a massive blow! I’ve been keeping an eye on the odds because I thought they were ripping value at the line and they jumped to $8 H2H last night so I’m thinking what’s this about. Waterman out would explain that easily. There’s still value there because 42 points seems a lot with how we play, but I’d walk away happy with the 4 points.

I reckon he's bulked up too much
Just lost confidence completely it seems
I would really like to see what Bytel and Richards can offer. To be honest, I'm not fussed about Richards defensive pressure, it seems fine to me. Use him as a pure offensive front and centre goal sneak, he does it so well. Nothing wrong with scoreboard pressure. Bytel looks classy and a good user, who also knows how to find the pill. We didn't add older players as depth only. These guys will more than likely be given a game ahead of the likes of Fin and alas, Carmichael
The coaching staff would be worried about his defensive pressure, it is what the Whole team game plan is based on, when we ramp it up to close to 2000, we are almost unbeatable. So that is more than just important to your chances for an AFL game . So fro me i reckon they will go Bytel and Reef.

If what he was doing in the VFL on the weekend translates - gun medium forward who can cut teams up in all ways. It was a wow game, I thought.
It’s what he was doing for most of the back half of 2023 and what piqued my interest in him for this year. The problems been that until Saturday we hadn’t seen it. My guess is it’s enough to get him back in, but probably as the sub.

Last edited:
I reckon he's bulked up too much
He’s the same size as 2023. The difference is opposition clubs are challenging him differently this year. On Friday we had Mihocek pulling Weitering outside 50 whenever we could, but with Q the opposition are supposedly pulling him a kick and a half to the fat side so he can’t intercept in 2 v 1 situations.

He’d be tracking similarly in every other aspect of his game because he’s always been a touch fumbly (not Noble, but not Pendles either). As the season wears on clubs will start trying to take other things away from us and back off Q which will bring him into it more.

Last edited:
"Sorry Mr Mitchell, it's AppendicPlantar fasciitis" says the now-sacked Dr.

Poor old Wombat can't take a trick. At least it won't affect him for too long - recovery from that would only be a week or two I guess?
Not sure if it’s an urban myth about elective appendicectomy before going to the International Space Station or Antarctica- either way, let’s be glass half full and say better to get it out now rather than in September!

Geez no Waterman is big

I was legit worried he'd kick an absolute bag against us because he's that awkward in between size.

Probably too big for Maynard/Howe (not just in terms of height, but height/size combo), but too small/mobile for Frampton/Moore.

So yeah, Yeo and Waterman are very big outs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back