Royals thread Forever Boys

Remove this Banner Ad

Finally the Royals back in action this Saturday at Leederville against the Black Ducks. I say this every single week but this week it's more apt than usual this is a must win game, if we're to make the 4 we can't lose Saturday. We've got Swans, Joondalup and Claremont over the next 3 weeks our season will be pretty much decided come the first weekend of August. Given the Eagles injury issues we'll likely have even less AFL listed players in our game day squad than some of our opposition in the next few weeks, these are the games we need to be winning if we're to make a mark in September.

Massive game tomorrow, confidence will be high after the win over Swans last weekend but West perth will be stung after losing at home to Souths. If the weather is foul tomorrow like it is today it'll turn this into a battle and I'd back the lads in a physical contest against anyone. A win over the old enemy would go a long way to sewing up a finals berth, it could come down to the fact that we're fighting for our season, they're fighting for the top 2 not quite as desperate stakes for them.

But this being a derby anything is likely to happen.

Rod Wheatley joined a select field of WAFL players when he made his league debut in a final, the utility player lining up for his first senior game when East Perth lost the 1992 preliminary final to East Fremantle by four points.
Wheatley was added to another elite group on Wednesday night when he was inducted into the 107-year-old WAFL club's Hall of Fame.
Part of the Royals' hat-trick of premiership wins starting in 2000, he was co-captain in 2002 and 2003 and won the fairest-and-best awards of 2000 and 2001.
Runner-up to ruckman Ryan Turnbull in 1999, Wheatley shared the club champion award with Aaron Marley and David Swan in 2000 and the following year was the winner of the FD Book Medal.
Wheatley, raised in Bridgetown, played 169 league games for the Royals as well as two State matches.
He was selected in the State Schoolboys team of 1989 and played for WA in the national under-18 championships two years later, before lining up in his first senior game in 1992
A regular in the East Perth league side from 1995, Wheatley retired in 2003.
The 38-year-old said he was thrilled to be recognised in the Royals' Hall of Fame.
"It was amazing," he said yesterday. "Very humbling and a great honour.
"You look back now and it's recognition of your career and, for me, there's no higher accolade."
Other players to be inducted to the Hall of Fame on Wednesday included Gary "Flea" Gillespie, Richard Thomas, Brian Ryan and Charles McKenzie, along with former president Jim Haines and club historian Bill Forrest.
McKenzie (1919-20), Thomas (1936) and Gillespie (1972) were all members of premiership teams.
Gillespie played 197 games for East Perth (1963-75), Thomas 207 (1935-41, 1945-48), Ryan 204 (1929-41, 1945-46) and McKenzie 148 (1908-15, 1919-22).
Haines played 106 games for the Royals between 1965 and 1970. He was club champion in 1968, before taking on off-field roles as general manager (1974-75), board member (1980-82) and president (1995-98).
Forrest has been involved with East Perth for more than 50 years.
A member since 1960, he played an integral role in the publication of the club's 100-year history book and the establishment of the Royals' Hall of Fame in 2010.
He was awarded life membership of East Perth in 1983 and of the WA Football Commission in 2001.

EAST PERTH HALL OF FAME
Player: Ernest Allen, Frank Allen, Mal Atwell, Jeremy Barnard, Reginald Brentnall, Mal Brown, Hugh Campbell, Derek Chadwick, Mick Cronin, Stephen Curtis, Lawrence Duffy, Graham Farmer, Wally Fletcher, George Fogarty, Harold Gepp, Gary Gillespie, Dobbie Graham, Jack Guhl, John Hayes, William Hebbard, Arthur Hesford, Phil Kelly, Laurie Kennedy, Ted Kilmurray, Ken McAullay, Kevin McGill, Phil Matson, Charles McKenzie, George Owens, Ray Perry, Brian Ryan, Herb Screaigh, Jack Sheedy, Henry Sherlock, Brad Smith, Val Sparrow, Peter Spencer, Ray Starr, Richard Thomas, Billy Thomas, William Thomas, Ryan Turnbull, Hans Verstegen, Ben Wallish, Jim Washbourne, John Watts, Albert Western, Rod Wheatley.
Officials: Fred Book, Francis Bray, Jack Clayton, Tom Guthrie, William Haynes, Cyril Norton, Hec Strempel, Jim Haines, Bill Forrest, Henry Mann.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/a/-/wafl/18154128/wheatley-in-elite-royals-group/

To say that was a disappointing result yesterday is an understatement. Our percentage could be the achilles heel of the campaign given that East Freo are now back in the hunt for Top 4. The fact Perth and us have the game in hand is benefit and Swans have the top 2 and East Freo after the Peel. Our draw (Claremont, Subi twice, South and Perth) is probably the best of the top 4 aspirants so I'm still fairly confident.​

Tough task this week, Claremont away given we've got Subi twice and Souths in the run in it's not a critical match but if we're going to be worth a spot in the 4 we really ought to make amends for the disappointing showing last week. On telly this week for the first time in what seems like 3 months, can see a lot of people staying home watching given the railway closure this weekend.

Back on track on the weekend with what ended up being a very comfortable win. I never really felt that we would lose to Subi but it wasn't until half way throught he last that I felt we had them covered. Dees at Leederville this weekend, the only match on Saturday for some reason, I say this all the time but this week it is even more crucial than ever that we win. Perth have hit the skids somewhat over the last couple of weeks and seem to be running out of steam at the wrong end of the year, given our percentage by comparison Swans and East Freo we just have to keep winning. With the possible absence of Big Josh we could do with more of the same from Matthew Seal, but given he's been around nearly 10 years now and I've seldom seen him play 2 top quality games in a row I won't hold my breath.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You can put an asterisk next to it if you want but in 25 years time nobody is going to care, all the records will say is East Perth won 2000-01-02.

Begs the question that we were so dominant during the 3 peat what was wrong with Claremont in 1999 when they had the same host club relationship we've got from 2014.

I have been a financial East Perth Member all my life (48years) and my family have been with East Perth since 1936 when they came here from the UK. I have missed only 7 league games in 21 years (yes, die hard's remember these stats!!!). I have been either a volunteer or official at the club for the past 18 years. I have been through the hard times and the good with the Mighty Royals and I will continue for as long as I live.

I am still very angry that the 3 Peat was tainted by the "East Perth Eagles" stigma. I am not naive enough to assume that many people will not always hold the belief those premierships were Eagles and not Royals. But of course as a Loyal Royal, I will disagree.

Myself and many others at the club argued the affiliation in 1999, but it happened anyway. We continued to argue through the 2000 season and half way through 2001, we were successful and the affiliation was rescinded. I will add that in our final premiership (2002) the affiliation was not in place. THEREFORE THERE WAS ONLY 2 GF VICTORIES WITH THE WEST COAST AS OUR HOST CLUB, NOT 3. This is a fact that is always represented incorrectly and is a pet peeve of mine.

What makes me so angry about the whole situation is that by touting the Eagles argument, people forget (or ignore) the fact that there were a very large number of players for East Perth who worked very hard for a long time to earn those premiership medals.

David Swan, Jeremy Barnard, Grant Holman, Andrew Worland, Travis Knights, Troy Butcher, Devan Perry, Rod Wheatley, Paul Ridley, Aaron Marley, Luke Webster, Brent Cowell, Dean Brennan, Russel Thompson etc etc.

My argument has always been and will always be the following. No matter what you think of it, the facts support that East Perth won and deserved those 3 flags and for 2 of them, the Eagles listed players were merely part of the match; I refer to the lists quoted in previous posts.

I will also ad that during these 2 years West Coast were struggling to win games and finished 13th and 14th respectively in 2000 and 2001.

2000 List
Antonowicz - David had only played 3 games for the Eagles over 2 years. He struggled with injury and fitness. He was hardly influential in the games he played for us over 2 years (30).
Chambers - Callum was a good WAFL player and contributed well in the 2 wins. Though he was also struggling to get a game at West Coast. He played 20 games for West Coast over the 2 years.
Haynes - David was also struggling at West Coast during these 2 years only playing 14 games for West Coast. He did play well for us.
Wooden - Josh was a very inconsistent player for us and West Coast. He struggled with injury. Playing 11 games for us in 2000 and 8 for West Coast. He only played 3 for us in 2001 and only 8 for West Coast the same year. Hardly influential for us.
Munro - Kane was another player who struggled with injury and was more of a hindrance for us. He only played 9 games for West Coast in 2000 and 2001 (2 and 7) and also struggled with his shoulder with us (10 and 11 games).
Wilson - Troy should not be on this list as he was not a West Coast Eagle during the 2000 season. He was a Royal. Troy transferred to East Perth from the Falcons in 1999 because he was hoping that he might be noticed by the West Coast due to the affiliation and might be drafted. He was, and at the end of the season he was drafted to West Coast as the oldest ever draftee (28). Troy remained a Royal until 2006 and is still involved with the club.
Cox - Dean should also not be on this list. He was an East Perth player and playing at Colts. He grew up around East Perth because of his Uncle, who was a famous Royal. My kids kicked the footy with Dean during the breaks when he was a kid! As a result of his form in the 2000 Royals Grand Final (Simpson Medal), Dean was drafted by the Eagles the following year (2001).

2001 List.
Webster - (this adds a fair bit of weight to the fact that you have no idea what you are talking about!) Luke should not be on this list, 1. Because he was an East Perth player through and through. He was a 3rd generation Royal, both Dad and Grandad played for us and 2. He was a Docker and not drafted until 2002. He was drafted from East Perth!!!!
Antonowicz - See Above
Symmons - Paul should not be on this list as he was not a West Coast Eagles player. He was de-listed!
Haynes - See Above
Munro - See Above
Humm - Jeremy was a West Coast Eagle being drafted this year from Ballarat, though struggled to make the transition to AFL. He was a great player for us and went on to play 102 games for us until 2009, but only played 4 games for West Coast this season. He only played 21 games in 4 seasons with West Coast.

2002 List
Turnbull- Ryan should not be on this list because he was not a West Coast Eagle. He was de-listed in 2001.
Symmons - Paul should not be on this list as he was not a West Coast Eagles player. He was de-listed!

So the argument is that "we were full of Eagles" that's why we won the 3 flags! Well we were not.
Facts
2000, we had only 5 Eagles and we had 17 East Perth Players!

2001, we had only 3 Eagles players and 19 East Perth Players!
Note - South Fremantle had 5 AFL Listed players in their side. So why did they not win the flag??? As your logic points to the fact that because you have a few AFL players you must win!!!

2002, we had 0 Eagles players and 22 East Perth Players!

My point?
That era for our club has been tainted because of false or misleading information. Alluding to the fact that we were full of Eagles and that is why we dominated. This is not true! A number of WAFL teams through that era had a number of AFL listed or AFL experienced players. Many had more than us. So why did they not succeed in those years?

Now once again we are in the same boat. We have an affiliation with the Eagles that is not wanted but accepted as a necessity. As a club, we will deal with it. But already, there is a stigma attached by those who are either blinded by their own bias, or those who have no idea or respect for WAFL football.

This season we have played with a minimum of 1 and a maximum of 5 West Coast Eagles players. If we are to win a Grand Final does this mean all our other 17 players can sit back and relax? Does this mean it is solely due to those 5 players? Of course not. Yes, it helps, of course it does, I'm not an idiot.

But because we have those 5 in the team in no way depreciates the fact that Craig Wulff, Michael Swan, Mathew Seal, Aaron Sweet, Kyle Anderson, Brendan Lee, Ryan Maldenis, Josh Smith, Marcus White, Jacob Derickx, Paul Johnson and all those that play and have played many games for this club have worked bloody hard to get to where they are.

Sorry for the long winded, but has to be said.

I hope you Black and Blue shitbags beat the Tigers, I can't stand them.

Passionless old conservative supporters who barely make a noise, thats if they bother to turn up.

A derby GF is what's needed, even if you guys are the WC Roygirls and the hated enemy at least you turn up!

Go CARDIES!!!

I have been a financial East Perth Member all my life (48years) and my family have been with East Perth since 1936 when they came here from the UK. I have missed only 7 league games in 21 years (yes, die hard's remember these stats!!!). I have been either a volunteer or official at the club for the past 18 years. I have been through the hard times and the good with the Mighty Royals and I will continue for as long as I live.

I am still very angry that the 3 Peat was tainted by the "East Perth Eagles" stigma. I am not naive enough to assume that many people will not always hold the belief those premierships were Eagles and not Royals. But of course as a Loyal Royal, I will disagree.

Myself and many others at the club argued the affiliation in 1999, but it happened anyway. We continued to argue through the 2000 season and half way through 2001, we were successful and the affiliation was rescinded. I will add that in our final premiership (2002) the affiliation was not in place. THEREFORE THERE WAS ONLY 2 GF VICTORIES WITH THE WEST COAST AS OUR HOST CLUB, NOT 3. This is a fact that is always represented incorrectly and is a pet peeve of mine.

What makes me so angry about the whole situation is that by touting the Eagles argument, people forget (or ignore) the fact that there were a very large number of players for East Perth who worked very hard for a long time to earn those premiership medals.

David Swan, Jeremy Barnard, Grant Holman, Andrew Worland, Travis Knights, Troy Butcher, Devan Perry, Rod Wheatley, Paul Ridley, Aaron Marley, Luke Webster, Brent Cowell, Dean Brennan, Russel Thompson etc etc.

My argument has always been and will always be the following. No matter what you think of it, the facts support that East Perth won and deserved those 3 flags and for 2 of them, the Eagles listed players were merely part of the match; I refer to the lists quoted in previous posts.

I will also ad that during these 2 years West Coast were struggling to win games and finished 13th and 14th respectively in 2000 and 2001.

2000 List
Antonowicz - David had only played 3 games for the Eagles over 2 years. He struggled with injury and fitness. He was hardly influential in the games he played for us over 2 years (30).
Chambers - Callum was a good WAFL player and contributed well in the 2 wins. Though he was also struggling to get a game at West Coast. He played 20 games for West Coast over the 2 years.
Haynes - David was also struggling at West Coast during these 2 years only playing 14 games for West Coast. He did play well for us.
Wooden - Josh was a very inconsistent player for us and West Coast. He struggled with injury. Playing 11 games for us in 2000 and 8 for West Coast. He only played 3 for us in 2001 and only 8 for West Coast the same year. Hardly influential for us.
Munro - Kane was another player who struggled with injury and was more of a hindrance for us. He only played 9 games for West Coast in 2000 and 2001 (2 and 7) and also struggled with his shoulder with us (10 and 11 games).
Wilson - Troy should not be on this list as he was not a West Coast Eagle during the 2000 season. He was a Royal. Troy transferred to East Perth from the Falcons in 1999 because he was hoping that he might be noticed by the West Coast due to the affiliation and might be drafted. He was, and at the end of the season he was drafted to West Coast as the oldest ever draftee (28). Troy remained a Royal until 2006 and is still involved with the club.
Cox - Dean should also not be on this list. He was an East Perth player and playing at Colts. He grew up around East Perth because of his Uncle, who was a famous Royal. My kids kicked the footy with Dean during the breaks when he was a kid! As a result of his form in the 2000 Royals Grand Final (Simpson Medal), Dean was drafted by the Eagles the following year (2001).

2001 List.
Webster - (this adds a fair bit of weight to the fact that you have no idea what you are talking about!) Luke should not be on this list, 1. Because he was an East Perth player through and through. He was a 3rd generation Royal, both Dad and Grandad played for us and 2. He was a Docker and not drafted until 2002. He was drafted from East Perth!!!!
Antonowicz - See Above
Haynes - See Above
Munro - See Above
Humm - Jeremy was a West Coast Eagle being drafted this year from Ballarat, though struggled to make the transition to AFL. He was a great player for us and went on to play 102 games for us until 2009, but only played 4 games for West Coast this season. He only played 21 games in 4 seasons with West Coast.

2002 List
Turnbull- Ryan should not be on this list because he was not a West Coast Eagle. He was de-listed in 2001.

So the argument is that "we were full of Eagles" that's why we won the 3 flags! Well we were not.
Facts
2000, we had only 5 Eagles and we had 17 East Perth Players!

2001, we had only 3 Eagles players and 19 East Perth Players!
Note - South Fremantle had 5 AFL Listed players in their side. So why did they not win the flag??? As your logic points to the fact that because you have a few AFL players you must win!!!

2002, we had 0 Eagles players and 22 East Perth Players!

My point?
That era for our club has been tainted because of false or misleading information. Alluding to the fact that we were full of Eagles and that is why we dominated. This is not true! A number of WAFL teams through that era had a number of AFL listed or AFL experienced players. Many had more than us. So why did they not succeed in those years?

Now once again we are in the same boat. We have an affiliation with the Eagles that is not wanted but accepted as a necessity. As a club, we will deal with it. But already, there is a stigma attached by those who are either blinded by their own bias, or those who have no idea or respect for WAFL football.

This season we have played with a minimum of 1 and a maximum of 5 West Coast Eagles players. If we are to win a Grand Final does this mean all our other 17 players can sit back and relax? Does this mean it is solely due to those 5 players? Of course not. Yes, it helps, of course it does, I'm not an idiot.

But because we have those 5 in the team in no way depreciates the fact that Craig Wulff, Michael Swan, Mathew Seal, Aaron Sweet, Kyle Anderson, Brendan Lee, Ryan Maldenis, Josh Smith, Marcus White, Jacob Derickx, Paul Johnson and all those that play and have played many games for this club have worked bloody hard to get to where they are.

Sorry for the long winded, but has to be said.

Wow. Must feel good to get that off your chest.

Go the Cardies !!

Alan Rowe. Thanks for your reply, its good to some real support from a supporter of the Eagles practise squad.

I don't have all day to reply so ill make it quick
EP finished 4th 4th and 8th in the previous years since their shock GF appearance in 1996, why was it a shock? It was the only GF the royals have made since you stole a premiership off perth in the 70s(in fact its still the only one you have got to without the eagles, 2002 counts as it was on the tail end of the of the 00-01 deal).

Anyways suddenly you add a bunch of crab eagles players and boom this underachieving bunch of future champions win three straight. Likely story

Troy Wilson - sure not an eagles player, until he was pushed to move there by the eagles recruiters to be under their control. This one kills the most as you took full time player from his WAFL club. EP WIN

Callum chambers. Good enough to play 50 afl games. EP WIN

Paul Symons So what he wasn't AFL listed he left his club because of the deal. Was probably told that he could try and get redrafted by playing under the recruiters eyes EP WIN

That's just the WP players! (callum ended up at WP when the alliance ended)

Tony Micale. Good coach yeah? almost Won a premiership with SF in his first year. Moved to EP the next year. Ends up Assistant Coach at WCE by 2004 ish. Wins Assistant coach of the year in 06 from memory. Good get EP WIN

Its not that you got the top ten players in the league. More like best 20 players off the other teams that meant EP didn't have to field their 22-26 ranked players

Now fast forward 10 years. The deals on again and EP Just won an away final based on the best 3 players on ground being eagles listed or formerly eagles listed players. 9 of your 18 goals come from a South Ozzie eagle and what should be EFREO eagle.
Also next year you would have also had Embley's 5 goals.

Win this weeks game you will go into the GF favourites to Win another tainted premiership.

Next year WP lose Our Best Player in Hutchings to you guessed it EP, In ten years time someone else here will be trying to convince the Footy world that he was a list clogging crab

Remove this Banner Ad

Back