Running Thread - Join our Strava Club!

Remove this Banner Ad

So are you strictly following a Low Carb High Fat diet? How are you finding it? Personally I'm not sold on it, but others I know absolutely swear by it

Not strictly. Just limiting processed carbs. I still eat potatoes and other starchy vegetables. No bread or cereal or rice etc. I have eaten pasta but try to swap it out for zucchini ribbons if possible. I will still eat a burger in a bun. It would be hard to be too strict with it even if I wanted to as my wife has no interest in it.

I have found that I eat a lot less, and rarely feel hungry. Most of the fat comes from avocados, tuna, almonds, and cheese. I was eating eggs at the start, but I'm just not hungry now so I haven't bothered in a while.

Not strictly. Just limiting processed carbs. I still eat potatoes and other starchy vegetables. No bread or cereal or rice etc. I have eaten pasta but try to swap it out for zucchini ribbons if possible. I will still eat a burger in a bun. It would be hard to be too strict with it even if I wanted to as my wife has no interest in it.

I have found that I eat a lot less, and rarely feel hungry. Most of the fat comes from avocados, tuna, almonds, and cheese. I was eating eggs at the start, but I'm just not hungry now so I haven't bothered in a while.

Nice one. Diet is such a personal thing. I like getting ideas from others and think all the different theories all have their pros and cons. Nut in the end it's up to you how you eat and what works for you.

Personally, I just try to stick to the Just Eat Real Food idealism as much as I can.

Nice one. Diet is such a personal thing. I like getting ideas from others and think all the different theories all have their pros and cons. Nut in the end it's up to you how you eat and what works for you.

Personally, I just try to stick to the Just Eat Real Food idealism as much as I can.

That's just it. Most of the processed stuff is high carb anyway, so just eating real food helped me cut down on carbs without even trying.
Been loving green smoothies as well. Just throw whatever I have in there. So easy, so good, and keeps you full for hours.

That's just it. Most of the processed stuff is high carb anyway, so just eating real food helped me cut down on carbs without even trying.
Been loving green smoothies as well. Just throw whatever I have in there. So easy, so good, and keeps you full for hours.

Yeah, I was amazed that Green Smoothies actually taste alright...

My favourite : spinach, cucumber, frozen banana, apple, coconut water, water, mint, ginger - boom!

I popped up to Marysville over the weekend to do the 1/2 mara trail run.

Lovely spot of the world up there and the run was a good one, heard the full is tough and they have a 50km Ultra too, not really Ultra but they call it that nonetheless.

A good one for anyone to have a crack at.

My schedule in 2016, aim to do another marathon at some point later in the year, perhaps an overseas one, local ones don't really interest me.

As I've said though I'm quite enjoying these trail runs I've been doing of late, so looking at things like Wonderland next year too.

Legs are starting to settle down after pulling up sore from Sundays marathon. I've looked like a knob climbing the stairs at work all week like a crab.

A bit of a recap:

Ventured to Hamilton with the family Saturday arvo rather than the 4am start that the rest of the Crew decided to make doing the day trip. Only the 2nd marathon that has been run there. A grand total of 15 competitors for the full & about 50 for the 21km as well as a few shorter runs. The full course consisted of 2 laps of the undulating 21km course. Pretty much consistent rolling hills with a couple of tougher climbs, something l have really struggled to get into my training with the lack of elevation around here.

Set out at a good pace, feeling comfortable running about 4:50's for a 1:43 21km split. Great to run through the start/finish line for the first time to have the my kids there with water & a banana. After that it all came undone a bit. Had to stop for a leak as one stage then as l pushed through the 30km mark the hills that l'd power through in the first half seemed that much harder. My calves seemed to tighten up & l couldn't get any drive going in the legs. That's when the head starts with the mind games. Pre race aim was sub 3:40. Looked well on track for that until l started to put a few walk efforts in, trying to stretch the calves out. The mental battle continued as my watch ticked over 42kms still with about 1.5kms to go. (Much discussion was had post race with all competitors frustrated with the extra distance). Got to the finish line & had my boys waiting to run the last 100m or so with me. Pretty cool. Stopped the clock in 3:45 with an extra km so l'm giving myself 3:39ish time (7th of 15). Just sneaking into my goal range.

Looking back at the Strava elevations now it was a tough course to begin my marathon journey on, as well as being a very solo run with the lack of competitors to spur you on.

So no runs this week as yet. A massage last night seems to have done wonders & maybe a light jog tomorrow morning will help. Will reassess target races & goals for the next 6-12 months over the next few weeks. A common theme from the trail events & longer runs is that the legs are pulling up too sore through the quads etc. Lack of proper conditioning. Need to get more hills, maybe cross training, gym work into them.

Only confirmed races for 2016 are Geelong 21km (April), Wonderland 21km or 36km (August) & Melb Marathon (October). Maybe the Great Ocean Road Mara in May too?

Cheers.

Last edited:
I popped up to Marysville over the weekend to do the 1/2 mara trail run.

Lovely spot of the world up there and the run was a good one, heard the full is tough and they have a 50km Ultra too, not really Ultra but they call it that nonetheless.

A good one for anyone to have a crack at.

My schedule in 2016, aim to do another marathon at some point later in the year, perhaps an overseas one, local ones don't really interest me.

As I've said though I'm quite enjoying these trail runs I've been doing of late, so looking at things like Wonderland next year too.

Wonderland is a great weekend. Halls Gap a magic place & the organisers do a fantastic job with the logistics of it all. We'll defintely be staying the Saturday & Sunday night next year for a few post race bevvies.

:thumbsu::thumbsu:
Legs are starting to settle down after a pulling up sore from Sundays marathon. I've looked like a knob climbing the stairs at work all week like a crab.

A bit of a recap:

Ventured to Hamilton with the family Saturday arvo rather than the 4am start that the rest of the Crew decided to make doing the day trip. Only the 2nd marathon that has been run there. A grand total of 15 competitors for the full & about 50 for the 21km as well as a few shorter runs. The full course consisted of 2 laps of the undulating 21km course. Pretty much consistent rolling hills with a couple of tougher climbs, something l have really struggled to get into my training with the lack of elevation around here.

Set out at a good pace, feeling comfortable running about 4:50's for a 1:43 21km split. Great to run through the start/finish line for the first time to have the my kids there with water & a banana. After that it all came undone a bit. Had to stop for a leak as one stage then as l pushed through the 30km mark the hills that l'd power through in the first half seemed that much harder. My calves seemed to tighten up & l couldn't get any drive going in the legs. That's when the head starts with the mind games. Pre race aim was sub 3:40. Looked well on track for that until l started to put a few walk efforts in, trying to stretch the calves out. The mental battle continued as my watch ticked over 42kms still with about 1.5kms to go. (Much discussion was had post race with all competitors frustrated with the extra distance). Got to the finish line & had my boys waiting to run the last 100m or so with me. Pretty cool. Stopped the clock in 3:45 with an extra km so l'm giving myself 3:39ish time (7th of 15). Just sneaking into my goal range.

Looking back at the Strava elevations now it was a tough course to begin my marathon journey on, as well as being a very solo run with the lack of competitors to spur you on.

So no runs this week as yet. A massage last night seems to have done wonders & maybe a light jog tomorrow morning will help. Will reassess target races & goals for the next 6-12 months over the next few weeks. A common theme from the trail events & longer runs is that the legs are pulling up too sore through the quads etc. Lack of proper conditioning. Need to get more hills, maybe cross training, gym work into them.

Only confirmed races for 2016 are Geelong 21km (April), Wonderland 21km or 36km (August) & Melb Marathon (October). Maybe the Great Ocean Road Mara in May too?

Cheers.
Awesome work mate :thumbsu:

Legs are starting to settle down after a pulling up sore from Sundays marathon. I've looked like a knob climbing the stairs at work all week like a crab.

A bit of a recap:

Cheers.
legen__wait_for_it_____dary_by_abal0rio.jpg

Legs are starting to settle down after pulling up sore from Sundays marathon. I've looked like a knob climbing the stairs at work all week like a crab.

A bit of a recap:

Cheers.

Well done! Awesome effort for your first one! There is no doubt you will be sub 3:30 soon!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A bit of a recap:

Cheers.

Yeah I echo the above thoughts. Super time for a first effort, on a hilly track nonetheless.

Sub 3:30 for sure.

How's everyone's legs? Quite on the thread. Definitely time for morning runs. Lost enough sweat at 5:30am today.
Need to keep the motivation going with no races planned til March/April 2016.
Might work on some speed stuff & try and get my 5km TT PB down (21:17). Tough to get those last 17 seconds off to break into the 20's.

Last edited:
Yeah training a bit all over the place at the moment. Not really running for a reason so I'm seeing the ones I do do not have the same quality. Going out WAY too quick and blowing up at 7-8k mark lots. Haven't done anything long for a while now (since the marathon) so need to find the motivation again.

Still a struggle. Set the alarm for 5.45am....got up.............didn't run.

Yeah training a bit all over the place at the moment. Not really running for a reason so I'm seeing the ones I do do not have the same quality. Going out WAY too quick and blowing up at 7-8k mark lots. Haven't done anything long for a while now (since the marathon) so need to find the motivation again.

Sounds like motivation a common issue at this time of year. Only going to get harder with work, kids, Xmas parties etc. I'm getting stretched to breaking point already. 14 hour day on the tools yday.
Hanging out for 4-5 weeks leave through Christmas & January!

Wildrover when's Rollercoaster? Early 2016?

Sounds like motivation a common issue at this time of year. Only going to get harder with work, kids, Xmas parties etc. I'm getting stretched to breaking point already. 14 hour day on the tools yday.
Hanging out for 4-5 weeks leave through Christmas & January!

Wildrover when's Rollercoaster? Early 2016?

Feb 27th....so will be pretty intense training right through summer, which should be interesting for a pom! Gonna MELT!

Feel like the mojo is coming back...had a great week thus far...

Sunday : Awesome bike ride up Lake Mountain, was good to be back on the roadie
Monday : Quality strength session
Tuesday : Easy run around the tan in perfect conditions
Wednesday : Sharp intervals, each at under 5k goal pace
Thursday : Night hike/run up Glasgow Rd x 2 (for those that don't know, it's a dried old creek bed that runs directly up Mt Dandenong)

Giving my legs a break today.

Unfortunately, some very busy weekends coming up which means the long stuff probably ain't gonna happen

Remove this Banner Ad

Back