Running Thread - Join our Strava Club!

Remove this Banner Ad

Well I'm registered. JUST the 20km. Never ran further than 23km so don't think I'll step out for the 36km.

Guess I have to run a qualifier now. Last HM I did was in 1 hour 36 minutes so well under the time but it was July last year so about 1 month outside the qualifying period.
They are pretty good. You'd get in with that but I'm sure you can punch out a qualifier if you needed too. I've booked accommodation for the Fri, Sat & Sun night. Bit easier for me only being 40 minutes away.

Yuk run this morning to test out my back. Nagging nerve pain through my left side with numbness in my foot. Only run for the week. Very frustrating.

Yuk run this morning to test out my back. Nagging nerve pain through my left side with numbness in my foot. Only run for the week. Very frustrating.
:( what's the go with treating it? Basically just resting up?

One week til my first Half feeling pretty excited to be honest best thing I've learnt recently is just to listen to my body, cutting runs short instead of trying to tough it out has made all the difference.

Yeah, trying to rest but have also visited Chiro & Masseur for limited results. Not "fixing" it, only seems to be a bandaid measure to get me through a month or so.

You should be excited. Running really well. A few little runs this week so your fresh for next Sunday? Got a goal time or just going to see what happens?

Yeah, trying to rest but have also visited Chiro & Masseur for limited results. Not "fixing" it, only seems to be a bandaid measure to get me through a month or so.

You should be excited. Running really well. A few little runs this week so your fresh for next Sunday? Got a goal time or just going to see what happens?
Yeah just keeping it shorter this week and next (although still did 12k on Friday) just so I'm nice and fresh. Don't really want to set a time for my first one but if I'm feeling good in the second half of it I might see how fast I can go. It's dead flat so I suppose it's a quickish course.

Quiet January but stepping it up over the next 6 weeks. Before I know it Canberra will be upon me, and even before that the Twilight Run. Will be a lot like 2014 preparation for the Twilight Run with a pre-season game in Bundaberg the day before and a 6 hour bus trip starting at 11:40 afterwards to Brisbane.

Really want to go for a couple of runs this week but the weather is just horrific in Perth at the moment. Start work at six so running before is not an option and it's staying hot all night too (was still about 32-34 at 9pm last night). Guess it not a bad time to have a light week with the race on Saturday but I'd still like to atleast get my legs moving a little before then.

Really want to go for a couple of runs this week but the weather is just horrific in Perth at the moment. Start work at six so running before is not an option and it's staying hot all night too (was still about 32-34 at 9pm last night). Guess it not a bad time to have a light week with the race on Saturday but I'd still like to atleast get my legs moving a little before then.
You've already done the work. Definitely won't hurt taking it easy. What's the forecast for Sunday?

You've already done the work. Definitely won't hurt taking it easy. What's the forecast for Sunday?
Luckily it's down south plus it's cooling down by then anyway. Meant to be 20 degrees come race time which is perfect really. :):thumbsu:

Luckily it's down south plus it's cooling down by then anyway. Meant to be 20 degrees come race time which is perfect really. :):thumbsu:
I'm not sure of that. I'm so used to running in the mornings 5 - 10 degrees suits me just fine.
Didn't get out for a run today. Had 1 run in 10 days. Feel like s**t. Need to get going again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not sure of that. I'm so used to running in the mornings 5 - 10 degrees suits me just fine.
Didn't get out for a run today. Had 1 run in 10 days. Feel like s**t. Need to get going again.
Haha lately most of my runs its been 30-35 degrees so 20 is lovely :thumbsu: the 40+ degrees at the moment is a little too much.

Can't stand running in the heat which is partly why I drop off so dramatically this time of year. I'm not a morning runner yet can't stand the afternoon sun.

Yet when it's pitch black at 5.00pm, drizzling or raining hard and about 7 degrees, watch me run after work no worries all through winter.

I cover my watch sometimes and yeah I feel I run a lot better without seeing the stats sometimes.
Mostly done because it's been a hot week and if I push myself in this sorta weather I just end up feeling shitty.

Turned on the watch again today and went for 5kms, pretty much destroyed my older PBs.

Glad I had the week off from serious work. Inspired again (Not that I wasn't before last week or anything)

Long version: Ok so back from my weekend in Busselton and it couldn't have gone much better. Was worried that my lack of running during the heatwave week we'd just had would come back to bite me but it might have infact been the opposite. Went down Friday night to avoid having to get up at 3am Saturday morning (like some did) drive straight down and running on little sleep.

Was nice and cool for pretty much the whole race and and there was a field of about 600 for the half marathon and a really big crowd not only at the start-finish area but also along most of the course as people in holiday homes along the beach came out to watch us. Beautiful course which was out and back along the foreshore and the ocean was like glass so flat and perfect.

Anyway back to the race, slow start of course due to the traffic but it cleared up pretty quickly which was good as most of the course was just footpath so there was plenty of room once the field spread out a bit. For the first 5km or so I kept telling myself to slow down a bit or I would burn out at the end but I just couldn't because I was getting swept up in the excitement of my first race :D. So I just kept the pace up as I was feeling good and at about the the 6-7km mark I moved in just behind this guy in a blue shirt and his pace just felt perfect so I thought to myself (obviously with little experience pacing that length run myself) 'just stick behind this guy for a couple of kms and then see how you're going'. So I did that and 13kms later he probably thought I was Ryan Crowley when he finally pulled away from me with less than a kilometre to go. at no time did I ever get any pain like I normally do and it felt comfortable for most of the way until I lost him because he turned it on at the end and my legs got a little heavy. It was even to the point where at the aid stations when he slowed for a drink I kept behind him even though I wasn't getting a drink and I could've gone past him I just thought that my best option was to follow him for as long as possible because he was experienced at pacing himself so well whereas I'm a rookie.

The pace was that good that I set a new 10k PB along the way and only twice went above 5min/km which is unheard of for me on a long run. Would've been happy with 2hrs but ended up coming in at 1:40:58 on the offical timing and came in in 156th out of about 600 :D :D :D was so stoked with the whole event and can't wait do another one, this stuff is so addictive. :p
Sorry to go on and on about it but it was just such a great time cheers for the support guys. :thumbsu:

Short version: It was great, ran fast. :D

Long version: Ok so back from my weekend in Busselton and it couldn't have gone much better. Was worried that my lack of running during the heatwave week we'd just had would come back to bite me but it might have infact been the opposite. Went down Friday night to avoid having to get up at 3am Saturday morning (like some did) drive straight down and running on little sleep.

Was nice and cool for pretty much the whole race and and there was a field of about 600 for the half marathon and a really big crowd not only at the start-finish area but also along most of the course as people in holiday homes along the beach came out to watch us. Beautiful course which was out and back along the foreshore and the ocean was like glass so flat and perfect.

Anyway back to the race, slow start of course due to the traffic but it cleared up pretty quickly which was good as most of the course was just footpath so there was plenty of room once the field spread out a bit. For the first 5km or so I kept telling myself to slow down a bit or I would burn out at the end but I just couldn't because I was getting swept up in the excitement of my first race :D. So I just kept the pace up as I was feeling good and at about the the 6-7km mark I moved in just behind this guy in a blue shirt and his pace just felt perfect so I thought to myself (obviously with little experience pacing that length run myself) 'just stick behind this guy for a couple of kms and then see how you're going'. So I did that and 13kms later he probably thought I was Ryan Crowley when he finally pulled away from me with less than a kilometre to go. at no time did I ever get any pain like I normally do and it felt comfortable for most of the way until I lost him because he turned it on at the end and my legs got a little heavy. It was even to the point where at the aid stations when he slowed for a drink I kept behind him even though I wasn't getting a drink and I could've gone past him I just thought that my best option was to follow him for as long as possible because he was experienced at pacing himself so well whereas I'm a rookie.

The pace was that good that I set a new 10k PB along the way and only twice went above 5min/km which is unheard of for me on a long run. Would've been happy with 2hrs but ended up coming in at 1:40:58 on the offical timing and came in in 156th out of about 600 :D :D :D was so stoked with the whole event and can't wait do another one, this stuff is so addictive. :p
Sorry to go on and on about it but it was just such a great time cheers for the support guys. :thumbsu:

BOO YEAH!!! Awesome effort!

Yeah that's awesome mate, well done.

Just a rookie error I want to pick you up on that will make the next one easier..... Find a perfectly pacing female with a nice bum to follow next time. Makes the journey far more enjoyable ;)

Yeah that's awesome mate, well done.

Just a rookie error I want to pick you up on that will make the next one easier..... Find a perfectly pacing female with a nice bum to follow next time. Makes the journey far more enjoyable ;)
Noted for next time haha

Remove this Banner Ad

Back