Past Ryan O'Keefe - 2012 Norm Smith medalist, retired 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't think he'll play next year anywhere, he's cooked. It happens to them all at some point.
I think so too. Melbourne are starting to improve and I don't think adding ROK will help

He's cooked, and maybe he'll move into cooking!

I think he'd only go to Melbourne if he has coaching ambitions under Roosy and wants to have a dual coaching and minimum wage playing role.

I can't see why we couldn't offer him the exact same thing. A playing/coaching role where we pay him good money to develop some guys in the NEAFL. God knows the NEAFL needs some AFL hardened bodies with some class & skill to help our base level players develop more effectively & efficiently. Could be a win win,. A clear win for the club, a massive win for the developing boys in the lower league look ing for guidance and support from one of our all time best trainers and 'body preparers". I also think it can be a win for ROK in so far as he may not make the AFL milestone games but gets a nice easy retirement plan laid out for him where he'll end up being a part of our coaching panel in the future. I'd love to see this happen, but then again I can't begrudge the man wanting to continue what has been a very impressive career so far. Love Rok/Peb's/Roky/Rhino/Rokstar/Rokchef/RyanO... I know he's respected by the club but never want to see a champion of the club not get a game when fit. Goes to show it's always the club over the individual, no matter the iou's you've accumulated it's always a club first approach. Harsh, tough love but probably the right call at the end of the day. At some point in the past Ryan did this to another player and someone will do it to whoever takes his spot.

I can't see why we couldn't offer him the exact same thing. A playing/coaching role where we pay him good money to develop some guys in the NEAFL. God knows the NEAFL needs some AFL hardened bodies with some class & skill to help our base level players develop more effectively & efficiently. Could be a win win,. A clear win for the club, a massive win for the developing boys in the lower league look ing for guidance and support from one of our all time best trainers and 'body preparers". I also think it can be a win for ROK in so far as he may not make the AFL milestone games but gets a nice easy retirement plan laid out for him where he'll end up being a part of our coaching panel in the future. I'd love to see this happen, but then again I can't begrudge the man wanting to continue what has been a very impressive career so far. Love Rok/Peb's/Roky/Rhino/Rokstar/Rokchef/RyanO... I know he's respected by the club but never want to see a champion of the club not get a game when fit. Goes to show it's always the club over the individual, no matter the iou's you've accumulated it's always a club first approach. Harsh, tough love but probably the right call at the end of the day. At some point in the past Ryan did this to another player and someone will do it to whoever takes his spot.

For Rhino it would be about playing senior footy aiming to be the best he can be & not only about money at this stage of his career.

Farewell games are for cellar dwellers building to nothing. Sentiment doesn't enter into it.

Maxfield's bravery knowing he wouldn't make the finals in 05 was the example ROK may end up following. Club never said he wouldn't be considered, but you just felt it wasn't going to happen.

Long season though. Let's not give up on him yet.

He won't give up.
Anything can happen & Rhino would know that AFL history is full of some wonderful p'ship stories of players that wanted something so bad after having been written off, that pure work ethic gave them opportunity.

Rhino is a winner. I for one am not not writing him off. I love how he is going about it because it is a long season & should we run into trouble, his resilience & mental toughness is something we will need at years end.
He won't want a game gifted to him.

It shows how far down the pecking order he is when rarely does anyone mention him as a possible inclusion for an upcoming game. Really hope he gets a farewell game, legend of the club and an absolute credit to himself for how he has carried himself this year

It shows how far down the pecking order he is when rarely does anyone mention him as a possible inclusion for an upcoming game. Really hope he gets a farewell game, legend of the club and an absolute credit to himself for how he has carried himself this year

I hope so too but am sure they haven't ruled a line through him. Just that he will only come in now as a like for like replacement if Kennedy or Bird are injured.

2014 for ROK is such a quiet year and when he was playing in the first few rounds you never hear his name

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd love to see ROK back in for Hanners. Club champ deserves a run with the team now that we are firing, this is the perfect opportunity for him. If he is as quiet as he was early in the year then fair enough, but surely the 2012 Norm Smith Medalist should have one last chance to play with the current structure and see what he delivers. Lets face it, the whole team was down in the first 4 rounds. Now we are up, it's a different scenario that just may make all the difference for him.

Those who say the game is not about sentiment. Rubbish, the game is loaded with sentiment. It's why great players are carried on their team mates shoulders on milestone games. It's a game of incredible highs and lows, it's a bloody emotional roller coaster ride. Number 5 is alive :D

Last edited:
I'd love to see ROK back in for Hanners. Club champ deserves a run with the team now that we are firing, this is the perfect opportunity for him. If he is as quiet as he was early in the year then fair enough, but surely the 2012 Norm Smith Medalist should have one last chance to play with the current structure and see what he delivers. Lets face it, the whole team was down in the first 4 rounds. Now we are up, it's a different scenario that just may make all the difference for him.

Those who say the game is not about sentiment. Rubbish, the game is loaded with sentiment. It's why great players are carried on their team mates shoulders on milestone games. It's a game of incredible highs and lows, it's a bloody emotional roller coaster ride. Number 5 is alive :D
Game is loaded wih sentiment, yep I agree.

What would annoy me however is if by giving ROK a game are we giving it to him as charity? Does he get one then get dropped again? Would that be humiliating to him and his teammates?

I would love to see him have another game, but only if he's needed. Imagine if he got "gifted" a game and we lost, and that was his last senior game ever and that's how some people would remember him by? That to me would be very sad.

Game is loaded wih sentiment, yep I agree.

What would annoy me however is if by giving ROK a game are we giving it to him as charity? Does he get one then get dropped again? Would that be humiliating to him and his teammates?

I would love to see him have another game, but only if he's needed. Imagine if he got "gifted" a game and we lost, and that was his last senior game ever and that's how some people would remember him by? That to me would be very sad.
Agreed but I wouldn't see it as charity necessarily. If he has been performing in the twos, I think that is the basis for his return. Surely with Hanners out, Mitchell out and McGlynn out, he has the best chance of being re-called this week. Brandon Jack lets face it, hasn't been great, but he's been ok. If ROK comes in and does not perform, then I've no problem him being dropped again, same as anyone else. If he was to come in and we lose but he plays well, then all good. Just think he deserves at least a chance.

Agreed but I wouldn't see it as charity necessarily. If he has been performing in the twos, I think that is the basis for his return. Surely with Hanners out, Mitchell out and McGlynn out, he has the best chance of being re-called this week. Brandon Jack lets face it, hasn't been great, but he's been ok. If ROK comes in and does not perform, then I've no problem him being dropped again, same as anyone else. If he was to come in and we lose but he plays well, then all good. Just think he deserves at least a chance.
Did you see the highlights of the reserves game on the weekend and Dan Robinson's work in the midfield? He's tearing it up, apparently...

I'm all for the best player being picked, if it's ROK, then pick him. If it's not, then pick the guy who is.

BJ didn't have a great game on Sat, but he did a few good things, plus him for ROK isn't really the right swap IMO, as BJ was playing more as a small forward I thought?

Well after this week selection that pretty much puts a end to any chance ROK had of getting into the side, cant help but feel there is something else at play oh well what a club champion he has been.

Sadly it is stick a fork in him time.

Unless we have an awful run of injuries to key mids I can't see him coming back.

I don't know whether there is anything sinister though.

Consider this - we have had Kizza and Macca playing forward. At this stage of their careers you would have to rate them both ahead of ROK as a mid. And that is before Mitchell gets a game. Hell McBabe is our form midfielder/stopper at the moment in my opinion and he has to come back in.

No conspiracy theories for me. Cunnigham and Lloyd are playing great footy.

We have stock on the shelf that is better or as good as him right now.

It happens.

It is pretty good to be a Swans selector at the moment, hard, but good.

Let him obliterate GWS and cover Hanners the next few weeks. Let him push for his chance at holding a place and possibly pushing for one last crack at a premiership.

He deserves a chance for seniors just like any other player smashing the 2s...

Like he obliterated them round 1

Like he obliterated them round 1

He normally has a sluggish start to seasons. Didn't help him that the Swans as a team were ordinary too. I still think he'd have something to offer a team next season, which is more than likely not the Swans. It just depends on whether or not a club is happy to take on a player that is extremely slow and kicks up and unders, yet really effective at stoppages.

He normally has a sluggish start to seasons. Didn't help him that the Swans as a team were ordinary too. I still think he'd have something to offer a team next season, .

Yeah he could work a canteen or something at a local club

Remove this Banner Ad

Back