Opinion Sack Hinkley 10 - UnTENable

Remove this Banner Ad

This also belongs in the Shakes Head thread, but anyway. I'd change that last sentence to any variation of: "Sack Hinkley"

We should be admiring Ken Hinkley's refreshing honesty​

It's easy to crush Port Adelaide coach Ken Hinkley for opting to play skipper Connor Rozee in last Thursday night's Showdown.

Rozee strained his hamstring in Round 7's win over St Kilda, but was never ruled out of the following game against cross-town rival Adelaide and would ultimately suit up for the contest. Unfortunately, he aggravated the injury and is now expected to miss several weeks.

"There's always a risk with any injury to a hamstring of any type," said Hinkley ahead of the Showdown. "So for those people who are sitting there with the doomsday saying 'you're taking a big risk', we're taking a normal risk with an injury like this."

Hinkley was right. He and the club took a gamble that didn't pay off. It happens, and now Port Adelaide has been left to deal with the consequences. But it would be totally naive to pretend these type of roll-the-dice decisions aren't made day in, day out at club level. You can't only have a problem with it when it doesn't pan out.

Cut Hinkley some slack for admitting and owning the mistake and let's all move on.

I think the PAFC and Rucci would be proud of that one.

Some very nice propaganda coming from a different area of the media.

I think everyone in Footy knows a hammy is straight up one week out at the least, probably two to three.

To say that this was a harmless gamble that just didn't pay off is pretty crazy. It was a pretty big chance of recurring, unnecessary and an obvious, poor decision all round.

I like how at the end he write 'cut Hinkley some slack' like he's got four premierships in the bank and this is his first error in judgement when it is just another log on the unaccountable fire.

This week he apologised for playing Rozee with a hammy. The week before he said the gameplan wasn't working. Maybe he's just in damage control. Who the Heck knows.

Very interesting conversation above re: forward half efficiency. I have about 25 years worth of data with regards to the differential between a teams forward half efficiency (Inside 50s converted to goals) and their defensive efficiency (Defensive Inside 50s converted into opposition goals), the results are pretty accurate as to which clubs are playing a brand of footy that will stand up in September vs those that are hiding a more fraudulent model. It's not always spot on (of course) but it illustrates perfectly what a lot of you are saying about Port's current struggle...

For example:

Last season the Pies F/Eff was 25.31% vs their D/Eff which was 20.65%, leading to a differential of (+4.66) which was by far and away the best in the comp.

In 2022, the Cats led with +3.17. In 2021, The Dees were 2nd with +3.86.
When you guys won the flag in 2004 you had the highest differential on record with +8.36 (Bris were 2nd with +3.78)

But like I said the data also points out the fraudulent teams as well. It was no surprise to me that last season both Port and Melbourne were bounced in straight sets. The Dees ranked 9th (+0.97) and the Power ranked 14th (-0.94), whilst the (supposedly surprising) teams that knocked them out in the semi-finals, Carlton and GWS ranked 4th and 5th respectively.

Unfortunately the Power are tracking the same way again this season currently sitting in 12th but with a substantially worse differential than last year (-2.29).

08_Rnd 8.jpg

Anyways, pardon the intrusion...just thought I'd try and add to the conversation. Cheers

This matches what Butters said after the game last week. Butters stated that they specifically avoided 'shallow inside 50's', which basically rules out most of your forward leads. Clearly we just want to press up and lock it in deep. Which to me, absolutely cane's your midfield, and relegates your tall forwards to just bringing the ball to ground and explains why we get so many forwards to the contest with almost no separation. It's the most one-note game plan ever. The other thing I have noticed is we're at our best when we're playing as an exception to that game plan. It's why we look most dangerous when our mids are running forward and kicking goals. Imagine being a tall forward in this system? Even better yet, try an imagine being THE key forward in this system, having your body completely smashed year after year, just to be a backboard for our long bombs and then going out and attacking the supporters in defense of this system? It's nuts.

It's also interesting that not only are we finally getting 'journos' questioning our system, but we're also getting players speak in some detail on it. Usually you get the trite comment along the lines of 'we back in our system, we just need to work harder for longer'. There's something a bit more here.

No coach here but is this a "consequence" of setting up to press high in the first place, and not wanting to look real stupid when a shallow entry goes straight back over our heads.

No coach here but is this a "consequence" of setting up to press high in the first place, and not wanting to look real stupid when a shallow entry goes straight back over our heads.

It's just really really stupid coaching and a "consequence" of having Ken as Coach.

It's why teams that have a rolling press are far more successful in forward efficiency and wins under pressure as opposed to a high press. Think what Geelong and Melbourne played defensively.

A rolling press gives the forwards space to lead into as the defensive set-up isn't from 30 metres from the goals rather it presses up and back as the ball moves, so doesn't cram the forward 50 with players but creates pressure on the defensive kickers to hit a target.

Actually feel Port have the players now to be able to play a rolling press very well with the defensive recruits they picked up.

Very interesting conversation above re: forward half efficiency. I have about 25 years worth of data with regards to the differential between a teams forward half efficiency (Inside 50s converted to goals) and their defensive efficiency (Defensive Inside 50s converted into opposition goals), the results are pretty accurate as to which clubs are playing a brand of footy that will stand up in September vs those that are hiding a more fraudulent model. It's not always spot on (of course) but it illustrates perfectly what a lot of you are saying about Port's current struggle...

For example:

Last season the Pies F/Eff was 25.31% vs their D/Eff which was 20.65%, leading to a differential of (+4.66) which was by far and away the best in the comp.

In 2022, the Cats led with +3.17. In 2021, The Dees were 2nd with +3.86.
When you guys won the flag in 2004 you had the highest differential on record with +8.36 (Bris were 2nd with +3.78)

But like I said the data also points out the fraudulent teams as well. It was no surprise to me that last season both Port and Melbourne were bounced in straight sets. The Dees ranked 9th (+0.97) and the Power ranked 14th (-0.94), whilst the (supposedly surprising) teams that knocked them out in the semi-finals, Carlton and GWS ranked 4th and 5th respectively.

Unfortunately the Power are tracking the same way again this season currently sitting in 12th but with a substantially worse differential than last year (-2.29).

View attachment 1983008

Anyways, pardon the intrusion...just thought I'd try and add to the conversation. Cheers

Big ask but can you give us ports rating from 2013 to 2024 and the top 2 of each of those seasons or our rank each year , thanks

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Big ask but can you give us ports rating from 2013 to 2024 and the top 2 of each of those seasons or our rank each year , thanks

Hope this is good enough for you;

Port v League.jpg

Pretty grim reading and backs up what a lot of you are seeing with your eyes. 2021 was the only season where Port ranked in the top 3 and really the only season where they have been anywhere remotely close to the league leader in this area.

Year by year ranking for the Power starting in 2014:

12th, 7th, 7th, 5th, 8th, 8th, 15th, 7th, 3rd, 7th, 14th, 12th

View attachment 1983290

Pretty grim reading and backs up what a lot of you are seeing with your eyes. 2021 was the only season where Port ranked in the top 3 and really the only season where they have been anywhere remotely close to the league leader in this area.

Thanks for providing the data. Thanks for going out of your way to do that for us.

View attachment 1983290

I love this kind of stuff. Well done.

View attachment 1983290

That puts to words what we have all known, except it's much worse than I expected.

I hope you don't mind if some of us reposted this on other platforms.

I guess it is refreshing for Ken Hinkley to be honest about something. But other coaches are honest and take accountability all the time. He's not a toddler, he shouldn't get praise for finally doing a shit on the toilet after shitting his pants for years, especially when immediately after he went straight back to pants shitting

View attachment 1983290

Thanks, always good to have data back up what the eyes are seeing. I am a bit surprised about 2014, it felt like that year we would lower the eyes and hit the leading player (Schulz) alot more. I thought it was 2015 when we got Ryder that we changed to this repeat entries deep to the pocket crap to keep it locked in and get stoppages that we still continue to this day (despite irrefutable evidence it it hasn't worked, it doesn't work and it won't work).

View attachment 1983290

This data/research is basically the Anti Janus.

Thanks, always good to have data back up what the eyes are seeing. I am a bit surprised about 2014, it felt like that year we would lower the eyes and hit the leading player (Schulz) alot more. I thought it was 2015 when we got Ryder that we changed to this repeat entries deep to the pocket crap to keep it locked in and get stoppages that we still continue to this day (despite irrefutable evidence it it hasn't worked, it doesn't work and it won't work).
In 2014 the Power's offensive output was pretty good with 26.31% of I50>Goal. Defensively is where they suffered with 27.07% of Opposition entries leading to goals, which was bottom 5 in the league.

*Edit, sorry this was the 2013 season I've given you the numbers for here...

Last edited:
A big loss on Friday and the plug must finally be pulled from the Stinkley experiment.

We can't be forced to see (and hear) this insulting garbage any longer.

Board have to finally put Port Adelaide FC > Stinkers.

Tredders, clear your throat. Josh, get your spray and wipe and whiteboard erasers out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back