Opinion Sack Hinkley 8 - "Ask me in August"

What happens to Hinkley at the end of the year?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The way I see it is that there is only one real moving part and that is why have we turned the corner this year and are 2nd on the ladder.

If it is because Josh Carr is making a lot of decisions in the coaching box and he is the main reason we are succeeding, he stays.
If we are winning because Hinkley has made good decisions, then he could stay.

I remember Koch saying that he wanted to make Hinkley a 10 year coach to provide stability and he has done that.
I think Koch will feel that he has given Hinkley plenty of time.
I also think Josh Carr provides plenty of stability. The players love him.

With Carr changing so much about the team and really going well and beyond what we all thought was possible this year, it shows how badly Hinkley has run the ship and how well Carr has coached.

If Koch is a reflective man, and this is not the elephant in the room but it hasn't been talked about enough on here, is how many premierships has Hinkley cost us during his reign of mediocrity. That is a question that seriously needs to be asked down at Alberton. It could be at least 1.

2020 PF - Do you think the coaching of Josh Carr would have given us an extra 7 points to win that game?
2021 PF - Does Carr start Drew at the first bounce with the hard tag? Would the players be ready from the bounce?

The only way that Ken stays is that they talk themselves into thinking the new arrangement of Hinkley as a cheerleader and Carr pulling all of the strings is good for everyone, hoping that Carr will not run off to the Tigers or Suns or whoever. It would be bizarre but the AFL can be a weird animal.

Koch has done a fair amount of passive executive work but this one will define him as either the passive spiv who can't make a decision to save his life or deciding to make a decision best for the team which has already been trialled with resounding success.

Given the overall nature of the decision making, including the wonderful world of accountability, with the dropping of the captain as the obvious example, it seems the worm is turning back to the Port Adelaide Footy way.

We will see.

Kochie is still in charge?
Ken is still in charge (apparently)?
Richo is still in charge?
Dixon is still potshotting fans?
Jonas is still a campaigner?
We still haven't won a premiership?
Jordan Hinkley is still employed?
Ken still runs a greyhound syndicate?

I mean, we could probably have pages worth of lists alone.

Based on what you are happy with, you are the perfect kochie FC cultist.
None of those things matter to me as long as we keep winning.

We are hardly going to swing the axe on anyone, when we've just won 13 in a row.

A premiership is what we all want, which is why i think waiting until after the season is completed to make a call on Ken is the right move.

Calls for sacking him now are ridiculous. Hard to tell if they are serious or not. I feel like this thread has become a bit of a piss take.

I think what will happen is, we win a premiership and he gets a new contract. If we don't, he gets let go and Koch is like LOOK AT ME I'M BRUCE WEBER

We all know what will happen

Step 1 - Kock resigns KenWillBeHereForever Hinkley before finals
Step 2 - Port bomb out of finals ala 2020/21
Step 3 - Carr leaves Port because he realises Ken will be here forever
Step 4 - Port finish 10th in 2024
Step 5 - Sack Hinkley thread on Big Footy reaches Part 76

We all know what will happen

Step 1 - Kock resigns KenWillBeHereForever Hinkley
Step 2 - Port bomb out of finals ala 2020/21
Step 3 - Carr leaves Port because he realises Ken will be here forever
Step 4 - Port finish 10th in 2024
Step 5 - Sack Hinkley thread on Big Footy reaches Part 76

I could almost believe that...

In before koch opens his big mouth and says ken isn't going anywhere so other clubs beware and stop trying to poach him.
It's too bad Cochrane isn't in charge at GC anymore (or is he?) as he's stupid enough to "poach" Honkley just to spite Koch

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We need to look at few things here and knowing history and have we learned anything.

Something happened eleven seasons in and an embarrassing showdown loss which prompted club legend Warren Tredrea to call out what many have been thinking. To move Ken from the coach's box to the boundary who made that call ? My guess koch knowing how erratic he been in making statements in the past may have had something to do with pushing ken out of the coach's box.

The August narrative for me put all the pressure on the club and Koch. Ken knows if he doesn't get extended and with th W/L record we currently have he will be milking the sympathy card. If he gets extended one thing i am certain of is we will lose Josh Carr and ken will be right back in that box.

I have no doubt ken is not doing the game day coaching we are talking about a coach for a decade vs top side was woeful let's take a look the percentage rate.

2013 -(9%)

2014 -(13.6%)

2017 - (9%)

2020 - (17.6%)

2021 - (18.2%)

Bring on 2023 we get smashed by Collingwood and the Crows ran us off our feet. Since then, we are playing very differently.

The club has a massive decision to make if it extends ken and we don't win the flag this year the blow back will be big. If we let him go and announce Carr is the coach and ken was sidelined for the benefit of the playing group and we go all the way the board will look like masters

44B7A56F00000578-4919330-_Kochie_is_very_close_to_being_Fev_d_right_now_Social_media_accu-a-85...jpg

The club has a massive decision to make if it extends ken and we don't win the flag this year the blow back will be big. If we let him go and announce Carr is the coach and ken was sidelined for the benefit of the playing group and we go all the way the board will look like masters

Maybe Kock will do something out of the box and go for dual coaches seeing how well dual captains worked? :drunk:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back