News SaintsW General Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Munga

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 2, 2003
AFL Club
St Kilda
Time to kick off a thread for general SaintsW chat and other AFLW topics.

Good start against the Lions. Lots of improvement from this time last season. Movement and ball use already miles ahead. Two rucks might be a goer, McKinnon putting it on a plate. Patrikios rusty first 10 mins but her quality starting to return. Dal looks like he has the right people in the right places, having Guttirdge's speed on a wing basically shut down two Lions for one. Better signs, we might snag a few more wins this season.

Happy with what Guttridge is showing, breaking tackles, speed, ball use. Always had that potential but might be getting more involved this season.

Space opening up for the Lions that quarter, they're pretty good at putting the ball to where their teammate can run onto it. And their set up ahead of the ball was good. We've been ok in close, but couldn't mark that final ball, hopefully just rust.

Only managed to watch part of the first half but the improved ball movement was clear. Tackling is good too.

A lot of dropped marks - I'm guessing conditions aren't helping. That final kick before scoring seems to be hurting us.

Yeah the glaring issue today is Shierlaw and McKinnon dropping about 10 marks, no exaggeration. Our small/mid sized players know how to use their bodies better and take a grab. Richards would have to be one of the best contested marks for her size. Guttridge, Jolliffe, Stevens etc all good one on one. Fitzpatrick a good return down back. But if we're going to target our talls going forward, they have to mark it or put it to our advantage.

TAKE A MARK SHIERLAW. F*ckin hell she has dropped absolutely everything today. Get the grippo out - we are so sh*T.

Hopefully just rust. But if she just put half of those to advantage we'd be better off.

Defence looked ok, most of their goals came from midfield run. Our forward half talls got caught under the ball a bit, gotta read it better or give the crumbers a chance.

Jakobsson looks like continuing on with form. McDonald, Guttridge, Friend, Stevens, Richards, Vesely, Fitzpatrick, Jolliffe, Van Dyk all added something today that improved us from last season.

Lions so nimble and quick, really good at putting their own heads in danger, and taking all our girls to ground without the ball.

The problem with aussie rules now, same in the men's game, is that players are harder to tackle that the tackles need to be harder to be effective, but then get paid for a dangerous tackle. I'm sick of it. If you're going to duck or hang on to the ball longer in a tackle, you're going to get hit harder. It's the umps/interpretations fault. If the ump didn't reward the ducker or paid holding the ball earlier (or at all!) then the "dangerous tackle" stage wouldn't be reached.

1. Molly McDonald - Good on the wing. Going to have a good season IMO.
3. Alice Burke - Seems to have added some power to her frame and kick. Might have more involvement in 22B. Made a great tackle on the reigning AFLW B&F.
4. Nicola Stevens - Good to see her mixed between forward and centre. Smart and good use of her body. Ran into an open 50 and needed some composure, but probably a once off.
5. Darcy Guttridge - Our best IMO. Has some absolute weapons. Breaks tackles, tackles hard, good long kicker. Not sure how often she had it, but every involvement was positive to the team.
8. Bianca Jakobsson - Good game. Looking to continue B&F form.
9. Tarni White - Copped a 50m and goal against for abuse, at least it was a praccy match. Has a bunch weapons too, just need more touches.
12. Kate Shierlaw - Dropped marks possibly in the double digits. But actually played her role excellently. Got to all those contests up the ground and snagged a goal.
13. Renee Saulitis - Named, but a late out?
14. Hannah Priest - Every match of her's last season was better than today. Hopefully rust. Got crunched in the back by a clumsy (deliberate) Davidson.
16. Ella Friend - The team used her well, has a long kick to get over the zone. Looking to get more ball.
17. Erin McKinnon - Started well but dropped off, and dropped marks. Had a good run down tackle. Maybe tired, so I'd assume Nalder will be playing as well.
18. Hannah Stuart - Was buzzing everywhere. Not sure how many touches though. She'll gel and get into the groove.
19. Jess Matin - Has a goal kicker's mentality, no mucking around. Might have some quiet weeks then pop up with 3 or 4.
20. Rebecca Ott - Looks to have improved her one on one body work. Neat kick too.
21. Georgia Patrikios - About 70% rust in the contest. But in space was good. Could do with another run next weekend if there is one.
22. Ash Richards - A strong contested marker and sweet kicker. Hopefully we can get her into the game more. I feel like she is one who could get the job done up forward when there.
23. Olivia Vesely - Had a decent game, probably better than any match last season. Hit a few contests at speed. Got caught once or twice, maybe more talk needed around her?
25. Rosie Dillon - I've been wrong before. Just not sold on Rosie for a midfield spot at this level.
26. Clara Fitzpatrick - Good return to the sport! Was a bit rushed early, but settled and was very good with ball and in contest. She could've killed Hodder (who went N.Riewoldt vs Sydney style mark), but still made her earn it.
30. Lucy Burke - A few touches. Might not have had much gametime.
34. Deanna Jolliffe - A smart player. She's almost worth two out there. Used mostly forward I think. Reads the play so well, can be used behind the ball too. Good kick too. More quality than quantity.
35. Simone Nalder - Quiet. Not much to note, good or not so. Got through and will probably get plenty of time in the ruck with McKinnon.
36. Jayde Van Dyk - Was pretty solid. Good voice and instruction.

DNP:
Greiser
Xenos
Kelly
Saulitis
Exon
Anderson
Matthews
Smith

All in all, a bit of rust individually, but still a step up from this time last season. The positioning, ball use, contest, connection has all improved. Broke down with countless dropped marks and the pace of the opposition. Still a lot more to improve with this young list.

As mentioned earlier the Lions are so good at turning their head into the oncoming player so you can't really tackle them legally, always gives them a leg up at every ground-ball contest (which is where most of the game is played). They're not the only team doing this.

It would be beneficial to have another praccy match next week, no doubt, but I haven't heard of one. We do have to manage a short list through a season, but we'd be sharper for round one with another praccy. Maybe against a Geelong/Hawthorn/Essendon. It will be interesting seeing where these clubs are at. I'm happy for the Hawks and Bombers to have a little time in the sun, but if they steal the whole season I'll be sick.

Last edited:
If you're interested in Fantasy and Tipping for the upcoming season you could try the link links below:

1. Molly McDonald - Good on the wing. Going to have a good season IMO.
3. Alice Burke - Seems to have added some power to her frame and kick. Might be have more involvement in 22B. Made a great tackle on the reigning AFLW B&F.
4. Nicola Stevens - Good to see her mixed between forward and centre. Smart and good use of her body. Ran into an open 50 and needed some composure, but probably a once off.
5. Darcy Guttridge - Our best IMO. Has some absolute weapons. Breaks tackles, tackles hard, good long kicker. Not sure how often she had it, but every involvement was positive to the team.
8. Bianca Jakobsson - Good game. Looking to continue B&F form.
9. Tarni White - Copped a 50m and goal against for abuse, at least it was a praccy match. Has a bunch weapons too, just need more touches.
12. Kate Shierlaw - Dropped marks possibly in the double digits. But actually played her role excellently. Got to all those contests up the ground and snagged a goal.
13. Renee Saulitis - Named, but a late out?
14. Hannah Priest - Every match of her's last season was better than today. Hopefully rust. Got crunched in the back by a clumsy (deliberate) Davidson.
16. Ella Friend - The team used her well, has a long kick to get over the zone. Looking to get more ball.
17. Erin McKinnon - Started well but dropped off, and dropped marks. Had a good run down tackle. Maybe tired, so I'd assume Nalder will be playing as well.
18. Hannah Stuart - Was buzzing everywhere. Not sure how many touches though. She'll gel and get into the groove.
19. Jess Matin - Has a goal kicker's mentality, no mucking around. Might have some quiet weeks then pop up with 3 or 4.
20. Rebecca Ott - Looks to have improved her one on one body work. Neat kick too.
21. Georgia Patrikios - About 70% rust in the contest. But in space was good. Could do with another run next weekend if there is one.
22. Ash Richards - A strong contested marker and sweet kicker. Hopefully we can get her into the game more. I feel like she is one who could get the job done up forward when there.
23. Olivia Vesely - Had a decent game, probably better than any match last season. Hit a few contests at speed. Got caught once or twice, maybe more talk needed around her?
25. Rosie Dillon - I've been wrong before. Just not sold on Rosie for a midfield spot at this level.
26. Clara Fitzpatrick - Good return to the sport! Was a bit rushed early, but settled and was very good with ball and in contest. She could've killed Hodder (who went N.Riewoldt vs Sydney style mark), but still made her earn it.
30. Lucy Burke - A few touches. Might not have had much gametime.
34. Deanna Jolliffe - A smart player. She's almost worth two out there. Used mostly forward I think. Reads the play so well, can be used behind the ball too. Good kick too. More quality than quantity.
35. Simone Nalder - Quiet. Not much to note, good or not so. Got through and will probably get plenty of time in the ruck with McKinnon.
36. Jayde Van Dyk - Was pretty solid. Good voice and instruction.

DNP:
Greiser
Xenos
Kelly
Saulitis
Exon
Anderson
Matthews
Smith

All in all, a bit of rust individually, but still a step up from this time last season. The positioning, ball use, contest, connection has all improved. Broke down with countless dropped marks and the pace of the opposition. Still a lot more to improve with this young list.

As mentioned earlier the Lions are so good at turning their head into the oncoming player so you can't really tackle them legally, always gives them a leg up at every ground-ball contest (which is where most of the game is played). They're not the only team doing this.

It would be beneficial to have another praccy match next week, no doubt, but I haven't heard of one. We do have to manage a short list through a season, but we'd be sharper for round one with another praccy. Maybe against a Geelong/Hawthorn/Essendon. It will be interesting seeing where these clubs are at. I'm happy for the Hawks and Bombers to have a little time in the sun, but if they steal the whole season I'll be sick.
What an awesome post. Thank you.

Patrikios didn't even get a mention in the post-game report. I hope she can quickly regain form.

Excuse my ignorance, but what's Smith's status? No chance for this season? Devo for her (and us!) to miss two whole seasons.

Patrikios didn't even get a mention in the post-game report. I hope she can quickly regain form.

Excuse my ignorance, but what's Smith's status? No chance for this season? Devo for her (and us!) to miss two whole seasons.
I think they have a faint hope of her returning since they haven't moved her to the inactive list. But it seems unlikely.

No worries. We can't read too much into anything there, just a praccy match. But overall it feels more positive than last season. How much the other teams have improved, or gone backwards, will help gauge our growth.

Yeah Patrikios could come flying back in a few weeks, or it could take another proper pre-season. Will just have to let her get her touch and tank back.

Ditto what Brut said. Smith has just re-joined the group training sessions, maybe if she flies through that she'll be back soon!

Just to re-iterate some of the stuff I've said about Smith's injury elsewhere:

She did the ACL at training on the 18th of November last year. Not sure exactly when the reco was done, but the start of the season will be very close to the 9-month mark, which would be extremely early for a return. Most teams have been very cautious with ACLs in the AFLW and waited until around the 12-month mark. That'd be during finals, which seems like a different kind of optimistic.

That said, if she ticks all the boxes early, then I imagine she'll play some games this season. I'm going in with no expectations. If she makes it back, that's awesome. If not, round 1, 2023 is fine by me.

Season 7 Guernsey Numbers

1. Molly McDonald
2. Nicola Stevens
3. Alice Burke
4. Deanna Jolliffe
5. Darcy Guttridge
6. Tyanna Smith
7. J’Noemi Anderson
8. Bianca Jakobsson
9. Tarni White (changed from No. 29)
10. Erin McKinnon
11. Grace Kelly

12. Kate Shierlaw
13. Renee Saulitis
14. Hannah Priest
15. Nat Exon
16. Ella Friend
17. Caitlin Greiser
18. Hannah Stuart
19. Jess Matin
20. Bec Ott
21. Georgia Patrikios
22. Ash Richards
23. Olivia Vesely
24. Clara Fitzpatrick
25. Rosie Dillon
27. Nicola Xenos
28. Caitlin Matthews
30. Lucy Burke
34. Simone Nalder
36. Jayde Van Dyk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1660639507794.png

Perhaps reflective of having won the most games of the expansion quartet, the Saints have also held onto the most players.

Isabella Shannon is also expected to return to the club, having taken the upcoming season off due to study commitments.

The Saints also have the highest number of 2020-listed players plying their trade at another club, with a number of them having been delisted and finding new homes.

The backline has seen the most movement – just Clara Fitzpatrick remains as a pure defender, with both Hannah Priest and Tarni White spending time in the midfield.

Still on list: Rosie Dillon, Nat Exon, Clara Fitzpatrick (re-listing), Caitlin Greiser, Darcy Guttridge, Molly McDonald, Georgia Patrikios, Hannah Priest, Kate Shierlaw, Liv Vesely, Tarni White, Nicola Xenos
Playing elsewhere: Alison Brown, Samantha Johnson, Rhi Watt (all delisted, now Melbourne), Alison Drennan, Claudia Whitfort (Gold Coast), Tilly Lucas-Rodd (Hawthorn), Tamara Luke and Kate McCarthy (delisted, now Hawthorn), Jess Sedunary (West Coast), Poppy Kelly (Richmond), Cat Phillips (Essendon)
Delisted: Melissa Kuys, Kelly O'Neill, Isabella Shannon (currently on temporary study break), Nadia von Bertouch
Retired: Selena Karlson, Emma Mackie, Courteney Munn

And to think we gave up pick 11 for McCarthy and pick 9 (Georgostathis) for Mackie as well. What could've been, those kids would be stepping up today.

That's good news that Shannon is expected to return. All in all, we've had excellent development from bottom up, would be nice for the club to receive some recognition for it. Only 4 haven't made it, the rest are still with us or playing elsewhere. The Suns have a knack for poaching our solid players.

Last edited:

View attachment 1479652

And to think we gave up pick 11 for McCarthy and pick 9 (Georgostathis) for Mackie as well. What could've been, those kids would be stepping up today.

That's good news that Shannon is expected to return. All in all, we've had excellent development from bottom up, would be nice for the club to receive some recognition for it. Only 4 haven't made it, the rest are still with us or playing elsewhere. The Suns have a knack for poaching our solid players.
Thats a really good job by whoever put together our original list. They did a great job identifying talent from the lower levels to make up for the less 'big names' wanting to join.

The McCarthy trade didn't work out, but the other trade was a great little piece of business. Pick 9 (Vic pick 7) was for Mackie as well as picks 24 (Brennan compo pick, Vic pick 11 - Rosie Dillon) and pick 30 (Dogs second round pick, Vic pick 14 - Tarni White). National Draft numbers were somewhat misleading. There was actually only one live Victorian pick in between Georgostathis and Dillon thanks to Egan and Millie Brown bids. I reckon the Dogs knew they were overpaying, but did it anyway to get all their early picks in front of a Isabella Grant bid (which worked for them - they got her for pick 47).

Even without hindsight, I reckon that's a great trade, especially for an expansion team. Move down a few spots, get an extra pick in the same range. Mackie's leadership and experience was just a bonus.

The McCarthy trade didn't work out, but the other trade was a great little piece of business. Pick 9 (Vic pick 7) was for Mackie as well as picks 24 (Brennan compo pick, Vic pick 11 - Rosie Dillon) and pick 30 (Dogs second round pick, Vic pick 14 - Tarni White). National Draft numbers were somewhat misleading. There was actually only one live Victorian pick in between Georgostathis and Dillon thanks to Egan and Millie Brown bids. I reckon the Dogs knew they were overpaying, but did it anyway to get all their early picks in front of a Isabella Grant bid (which worked for them - they got her for pick 47).

Even without hindsight, I reckon that's a great trade, especially for an expansion team. Move down a few spots, get an extra pick in the same range. Mackie's leadership and experience was just a bonus.

Ahhh, good point. Yeah it's easy to get stuck looking at pick numbers without drilling down into the state based stuff. And I have to get used to the movements, and just hope the ins are better than the outs.

How is Greiser tracking? See she didn't play in the practice match, but expect she would be looking at a big year after being somewhat disappointing last year (although not a great deal of supply).

How is Greiser tracking? See she didn't play in the practice match, but expect she would be looking at a big year after being somewhat disappointing last year (although not a great deal of supply).

Very hard to say without any praccy matches. She has a "knee knock" and wants to be back for round 1, but who knows?

On the eve of the season, Saulitis has done her ACL and will miss it all 😔

The scourge of ACLs in women's sport, moreso AFLW, it's a real killer.

The club has opted not to move Saulitis to the inactive list at this moment.

St Kilda has also confirmed Tyanna Smith's return to main training after rupturing her ACL before last season began, and is currently 6-8 weeks away from playing.

Interesting not putting Saulitis on the inactive list, not sure why we wouldn't have a free hit at someone else. I wouldn't mind someone like Grace Buchan coming in.

Interesting not putting Saulitis on the inactive list, not sure why we wouldn't have a free hit at someone else. I wouldn't mind someone like Grace Buchan coming in.
Putting a player on the inactive list substantially reduces the amount of money given to the player. I believe it's cut to 25% of what they would normally get. A lot of clubs seem to avoid the inactive list if they can. Saulitis isn't at the level of Patrikios or Smith, but I'm pretty happy the club has followed the precedent with Saulitis. Maybe they're being cheap, but I want to believe they're looking out for player welfare first and foremost.

Also, if the injury situation gets so bad that the 30th player on the list would play, they can select train-on players. I know Melbourne did with Sarah Perkins when she was there. It's got to get pretty dire before it's allowed. I think it's something like less than 24 players available. I haven't seen it confirmed, but I'm guessing there's an extended Covid list like there was in the Men's this year, probably with a lot of Southern Saints on it.

Putting a player on the inactive list substantially reduces the amount of money given to the player. I believe it's cut to 25% of what they would normally get. A lot of clubs seem to avoid the inactive list if they can. Saulitis isn't at the level of Patrikios or Smith, but I'm pretty happy the club has followed the precedent with Saulitis. Maybe they're being cheap, but I want to believe they're looking out for player welfare first and foremost.

Also, if the injury situation gets so bad that the 30th player on the list would play, they can select train-on players. I know Melbourne did with Sarah Perkins when she was there. It's got to get pretty dire before it's allowed. I think it's something like less than 24 players available. I haven't seen it confirmed, but I'm guessing there's an extended Covid list like there was in the Men's this year, probably with a lot of Southern Saints on it.

Ahhhh, well that's understandable. I thought it was just list spots, but cutting salaries sucks. Fancy allowing that, especially in the women's league. Cheers for the clarification, you're a doyen around here :thumbsupemoji:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back