News SaintsW General Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Ahhhh, well that's understandable. I thought it was just list spots, but cutting salaries sucks. Fancy allowing that, especially in the women's league. Cheers for the clarification, you're a doyen around here :thumbsupemoji:
I help when I can, but - fair warning - I'm not sure 100% sure I've got that right. I couldn't find it in the CBA or any reference to it on google. So, maybe don't lock it in straight away if you're on a quiz show or something.

The rule (if I do have it right) makes more sense for players who are inactive for non-football reasons, like Issy Shannon or Jess Allan at GWS (who's got army commitments). It does seem like it would be particularly harsh on a country girl trying to live on tier-4 payments.

Vacuous Space, thoughts? Are we getting screwed again?
Not so much 'again' as 'continuously'. If anyone important leaves, doubly so, since it'll mean more picks in the equivalent of the men's pre-season draft - unless they allow future picks to be traded. Even with a future pick, you're looking at getting a player in 2024 who might take until 2026 or 2028 to really start paying off. At some point you start wondering what a realistic ETA for St Kilda in AFLW finals is. 2030? Later?

They changed the rules to rush a bunch of 17-year olds from the best draft pool ever onto Essendon's and Hawthorn's lists so they could compete faster. Then, they changed the rules again so that nobody else can benefit. The laboured analogy I'm going to go with is they've given away all the prized cattle and a seasons worth of crops, then they've set the barn on fire and salted the earth. It's hard not to look at the new teams' positions on the ladder with envy. The newer Vic teams are higher ranked and they have better prospects for the future.

I'm hoping there's another shoe to drop. Even they have to be able to see that something has to be done about Adelaide, Brisbane and Melbourne. Hopefully some players on those teams get leaned on in such a way that more immediately benefits the club (and the comp) than draft picks. Failing that, I at least hope they allow something like the mini-drafts when GC and GWS came into the men's league. Allow the bottom teams to add 17-year olds that can't play in 2023, but can train and get acclimatised to the group as they finish year-12.

My expectations are low, though, and the league will still find a way to disappoint me. They always do.

Not so much 'again' as 'continuously'. If anyone important leaves, doubly so, since it'll mean more picks in the equivalent of the men's pre-season draft - unless they allow future picks to be traded. Even with a future pick, you're looking at getting a player in 2024 who might take until 2026 or 2028 to really start paying off. At some point you start wondering what a realistic ETA for St Kilda in AFLW finals is. 2030? Later?

They changed the rules to rush a bunch of 17-year olds from the best draft pool ever onto Essendon's and Hawthorn's lists so they could compete faster. Then, they changed the rules again so that nobody else can benefit. The laboured analogy I'm going to go with is they've given away all the prized cattle and a seasons worth of crops, then they've set the barn on fire and salted the earth. It's hard not to look at the new teams' positions on the ladder with envy. The newer Vic teams are higher ranked and they have better prospects for the future.

I'm hoping there's another shoe to drop. Even they have to be able to see that something has to be done about Adelaide, Brisbane and Melbourne. Hopefully some players on those teams get leaned on in such a way that more immediately benefits the club (and the comp) than draft picks. Failing that, I at least hope they allow something like the mini-drafts when GC and GWS came into the men's league. Allow the bottom teams to add 17-year olds that can't play in 2023, but can train and get acclimatised to the group as they finish year-12.

My expectations are low, though, and the league will still find a way to disappoint me. They always do.

Yeah, I think I'm about over it. Unfortunately AFLW has proven just as corrupt as the AFL. I'll still follow the Saints, but my passion for the comp has depleted with the obvious favours to others. What's the bet they choose this draft to hand us a priority or two, in what is essentially the leftovers?

Geez our girls battle hard, such a good bunch.

Yeah, I think I'm about over it. Unfortunately AFLW has proven just as corrupt as the AFL. I'll still follow the Saints, but my passion for the comp has depleted with the obvious favours to others. What's the bet they choose this draft to hand us a priority or two, in what is essentially the leftovers?
Just as corrupt, but has the extra layer that the people in charge don't care. If the comp fails, they've done their bit, even if the comp fails because of their incompetence.

Any priority picks in this draft are essentially a slap in the face. The high end picks are probably going to be re-lists. Everybody else from Vic is going to be Mature-aged players that missed out in 2022 and played a maximum of one game since. It's not a real draft and should be treated as such.

Geez our girls battle hard, such a good bunch.
I don't have any issues with anyone at the club. The people building the list have done about as well as could be expected, given the circumstances. The players themselves are quite likable and could easily be contributors in a finals team - there just needs to be more elite level talent.

Lots of bad news. None of it is really surprising, but confirmation that none of Kelly, McKinnon or Smith will return this season is still disappointing. Hopefully they come back fit and firing for next season.

FWIW I've been handing out my own votes for the last two seasons, in Bigfooty style 15 votes a match. A lot more even spread of contributors this season compared to the last, the depth stepped it up a notch.

BJ takes the crown!

2022B Top 10:
17 Jakobsson :star:
14 Shierlaw
13 McDonald
13 Priest
12 Patrikios
11 White
10 Xenos
10 Stuart
9 Burke.A
9 Vesely

2022A Top 5:
29 Lucas-Rodd
23 Priest
22 Jakobsson
16 Phillips
13 White

FWIW I've been handing out my own votes for the last two seasons, in Bigfooty style 15 votes a match. A lot more even spread of contributors this season compared to the last, the depth stepped it up a notch.

BJ takes the crown!

2022B Top 10:
17 Jakobsson :star:
14 Shierlaw
13 McDonald
13 Priest
12 Patrikios
11 White
10 Xenos
10 Stuart
9 Burke.A
9 Vesely

2022A Top 5:
29 Lucas-Rodd
23 Priest
22 Jakobsson
16 Phillips
13 White
Going to be a tight bnf count between Shierlaw and Jakobsson.

McDonald missing those few games with concussion will cost her. Her season was otherwise excellent.

The final tally of coaches votes:

St Kilda (15 players, 95 votes)
14 Kate Shierlaw
12 Georgia Patrikios
11 Bianca Jakobsson
11 Tarni White
10 Hannah Stuart
10 Olivia Vesely
8 Molly McDonald
4 Hannah Priest
3 Caitlin Greiser
3 Erin McKinnon
3 Nicola Xenos
2 Clara Fitzpatrick
2 Jessica Matin
1 Alice Burke
1 Darcy Guttridge

Two former Saints finish top 3 for the Suns, only behind Rowbottom.

Gold Coast 2022 S7 AFLW Club Champion Top 10:
1. Charlie Rowbottom (279)
2. Alison Drennan (240)
3. Claudia Whitfort (237)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Congrats to Shierlaw! Had some massive matches this season. Much deserved. And good to see Molly recognised and rocketing up the chart.

2022 AFLW Season Seven Best & Fairest

1. Kate Shierlaw (37 votes)
2. Bianca Jakobsson (34 votes)
3. Molly McDonald (32 votes)
4. Hannah Stuart (28 votes)
5. Georgia Patrikios (27 votes)
=6. Alice Burke (26 votes)
=6. Olivia Vesely (26 votes)
8. Nicola Stevens (25 votes)
9. Tarni White (24 votes)
10. Hannah Priest (23 votes)

AFLW power couple could join forces as Saint Kate Shierlaw eyes Roo move​

Kate Shierlaw could be on the move from St Kilda as she eyes joining a club in premiership contention, writes DANIEL CHERNY.
@danielcherny

2 min read
December 20, 2022 - 3:13PM
St Kilda look likely to lose their 2022 best and fairest player Kate Shierlaw who is eyeing a move to North Melbourne. Picture: Darrian Traynor/Getty Images

St Kilda look likely to lose their 2022 best and fairest player Kate Shierlaw who is eyeing a move to North Melbourne. Picture: Darrian Traynor/Getty Images

St Kilda’s AFLW best and fairest Kate Shierlaw is exploring a potential move away from Moorabbin to unite with her partner Emma Kearney at North Melbourne.

Shierlaw, who turns 34 in February, is coming off a career-best AFLW season, booting 13 goals for the Saints and claiming her maiden best and fairest.

But heading into what is likely to be the twilight of her playing days, the 186-centimetre key forward is interested in heading to a premiership contender rather than continue with the Saints, who remain very much a work in progress under Nick Dal Santo.

Industry sources have confirmed that Shierlaw is looking at joining the Kangaroos, who were losing preliminary finalists in the just-completed season seven and have been consistently in the top half of the ladder since entering the league in 2019.

Shierlaw joined St Kilda ahead of the 2020 AFLW season. Picture: Darrian Traynor/Getty Images

Shierlaw joined St Kilda ahead of the 2020 AFLW season. Picture: Darrian Traynor/Getty Images

A trade to Arden Street would also allow Shierlaw to play in the same team as Roos captain Kearney, her partner of more than five years. Kearney is perhaps the league’s most decorated player, having made the All-Australian team in all seven seasons to go with a league best and fairest and premiership with the Western Bulldogs in 2018.

Shierlaw played 10 matches for Carlton across 2017 and 2018 before joining the Saints ahead of their entrance into the league in 2020. She was a co-captain in the club’s first two seasons before Hannah Priest took the sole reins at the start of the year.

The Roos would need to trade for Shierlaw, a situation potentially complicated by the fact that the upcoming draft is set to only feature mature-age players.

Losing Shierlaw would be another blow to the Saints, who relinquished gun midfielder Tilly Lucas-Rodd to expansion club Hawthorn earlier this year.

North is on the lookout for forward stocks after announcing on Tuesday that the club had opted not to offer Sophie Abbatangelo a new contract. Abbatangelo, 32, kicked 29 goals from her 42 matches with the Kangaroos. Untried ruck Grace Master has also been let go.

“We thank Sophie and Grace for their contributions to our club, these decisions are never easy or taken lightly,” North’s head of AFLW Nathan Hrovat said.

Shierlaw would be a huge get for the Kangaroos, who opted not to renew Sophie Abbatangelo’s contract for 2023. Picture: Morgan Hancock/Getty Images

Shierlaw would be a huge get for the Kangaroos, who opted not to renew Sophie Abbatangelo’s contract for 2023. Picture: Morgan Hancock/Getty Images

“A member of our inaugural AFLW team, Sophie and her family have played a big part of the club’s AFLW journey and we thank them for their contribution.

“While with us for only a short time, Grace demonstrated a great attitude and commitment to her football. We wish Grace all the best for her future.”

Shierlaw’s situation could tie into that of AFLW season seven’s leading goalkicker Jesse Wardlaw, the Brisbane Lions tall forward who is entertaining interest from rival clubs.

The AFL is yet to reveal dates for its sign and trade period. Further trade and draft concessions for lowly clubs could be on the cards amid concerns about an uneven AFLW playing field, but the landscape remains unclear without a collective bargaining agreement for next season, due to begin in August.

AFLW power couple could join forces as Saint Kate Shierlaw eyes Roo move​

Kate Shierlaw could be on the move from St Kilda as she eyes joining a club in premiership contention, writes DANIEL CHERNY.
@danielcherny

2 min read
December 20, 2022 - 3:13PM

St Kilda’s AFLW best and fairest Kate Shierlaw is exploring a potential move away from Moorabbin to unite with her partner Emma Kearney at North Melbourne.

Shierlaw, who turns 34 in February, is coming off a career-best AFLW season, booting 13 goals for the Saints and claiming her maiden best and fairest.

But heading into what is likely to be the twilight of her playing days, the 186-centimetre key forward is interested in heading to a premiership contender rather than continue with the Saints, who remain very much a work in progress under Nick Dal Santo.

Industry sources have confirmed that Shierlaw is looking at joining the Kangaroos, who were losing preliminary finalists in the just-completed season seven and have been consistently in the top half of the ladder since entering the league in 2019.

A trade to Arden Street would also allow Shierlaw to play in the same team as Roos captain Kearney, her partner of more than five years. Kearney is perhaps the league’s most decorated player, having made the All-Australian team in all seven seasons to go with a league best and fairest and premiership with the Western Bulldogs in 2018.

Shierlaw played 10 matches for Carlton across 2017 and 2018 before joining the Saints ahead of their entrance into the league in 2020. She was a co-captain in the club’s first two seasons before Hannah Priest took the sole reins at the start of the year.

The Roos would need to trade for Shierlaw, a situation potentially complicated by the fact that the upcoming draft is set to only feature mature-age players.

Losing Shierlaw would be another blow to the Saints, who relinquished gun midfielder Tilly Lucas-Rodd to expansion club Hawthorn earlier this year.

North is on the lookout for forward stocks after announcing on Tuesday that the club had opted not to offer Sophie Abbatangelo a new contract. Abbatangelo, 32, kicked 29 goals from her 42 matches with the Kangaroos. Untried ruck Grace Master has also been let go.

“We thank Sophie and Grace for their contributions to our club, these decisions are never easy or taken lightly,” North’s head of AFLW Nathan Hrovat said.

“A member of our inaugural AFLW team, Sophie and her family have played a big part of the club’s AFLW journey and we thank them for their contribution.

“While with us for only a short time, Grace demonstrated a great attitude and commitment to her football. We wish Grace all the best for her future.”

Shierlaw’s situation could tie into that of AFLW season seven’s leading goalkicker Jesse Wardlaw, the Brisbane Lions tall forward who is entertaining interest from rival clubs.

The AFL is yet to reveal dates for its sign and trade period. Further trade and draft concessions for lowly clubs could be on the cards amid concerns about an uneven AFLW playing field, but the landscape remains unclear without a collective bargaining agreement for next season, due to begin in August.

Oh get stuffed. A draft pick for the rejects draft won't help us at all. We'll need a player swap on-par with Shierlaw and their importance to our team.

Oh get stuffed. A draft pick for the rejects draft won't help us at all. We'll need a player swap on-par with Shierlaw and their importance to our team.
Player swaps don't seem to happen so I don't like our odds.

The AFL will need to step in with some sort of extra compensation because we won't be the only bottom side to get screwed over by them not hosting a real draft. But the two tier competition continues.

Some big news here. At least we aren't pinning our hopes on the mature age draft!

St Kilda is interested in Collingwood co-captain Steph Chiocci and ball magnet Jaimee Lambert as part of an AFLW recruiting drive.
It’s understood the Saints have been talking to Chiocci about a potential move to Moorabbin depending on how the league’s list management mechanisms unfold over the coming weeks.

St Kilda is also in the box seat to land Brisbane Lions spearhead Jesse Wardlaw

But I'll be spewing with these losses, that's the modern game I suppose:

likely to lose Kate Shierlaw to North Melbourne while Tarni White and Clara Fitzpatrick could head to Gold Coast

Some big news here. At least we aren't pinning our hopes on the mature age draft!

But I'll be spewing with these losses, that's the modern game I suppose:

Losing Tarni would suck. She's one of the players I'd like to keep most.

If we could land Wardlaw, it would make up for Shierlaw leaving. A better player while being 10 years younger. She would probably be the biggest recruit the women's team has landed if we can get it done. And getting some experienced bodies in would be great so I like the potential of the Collingwood pair.

Let's just see if we can get them across the line because we've really struggled in that area.

Losing Tarni would suck. She's one of the players I'd like to keep most.

If we could land Wardlaw, it would make up for Shierlaw leaving. A better player while being 10 years younger. She would probably be the biggest recruit the women's team has landed if we can get it done. And getting some experienced bodies in would be great so I like the potential of the Collingwood pair.

Let's just see if we can get them across the line because we've really struggled in that area.

Yeah White would be a heavy loss going forward. Super tough, booming kick, and an awesome person who's very marketable. I'm worried about this one.

Of course we get screwed over again.

There is no reason Essendon should be receiving extra concessions while us (and West Coast) receive none. We should be receiving the same as them.

There is no reason Essendon should be receiving extra concessions while us (and West Coast) receive none. We should be receiving the same as them.

Making it up as they go. There's no doubt who the "haves" and "have nots" are. Killed me a while ago, it's rotten.

But go Saints!

It's genuinely amazing to watch the league heap concessions on the newest expansion teams, while just ignoring the problems with the last round of expansion. Especially given this last lot were the clubs that didn't actually want a team in the first place. I'm going to guess that nobody at AFL house knows the teams St Kilda actually beat in season 7.

Making it up as they go. There's no doubt who the "haves" and "have nots" are. Killed me a while ago, it's rotten.

But go Saints!
It's genuinely amazing to watch the league heap concessions on the newest expansion teams, while just ignoring the problems with the last round of expansion. Especially given this last lot were the clubs that didn't actually want a team in the first place. I'm going to guess that nobody at AFL house knows the teams St Kilda actually beat in season 7.

This is becoming ridiculous.

Sydney sure, no problems (sort of in line with what Richmond received in our winless 1st season)
Hawthorn and Port Adelaide, fair enough

but Essendon, seriously? nothing for StKilda or West Coast?
this PSP rule has certainly confirmed the inequality that the AFL seems to promote in the AFLW
the question is WHY?

but if you can secure Wardlaw and one of Lambert or Chiocci (both would be ideal) it wouldn't turn out too bad
losing Shierlaw wouldn't be a huge loss, given her age and low possibility to replicate another B&F season (has been serviceable but average at best)
losing White and Fitzpatrick potentially can be covered

Remove this Banner Ad

Back