News SaintsW General Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

This is the first trade period we've been apart of that feels like we have significantly strengthened our side (presuming the Wardlaw reports are correct).

With a fit Smith and Patrikios with a full preseason under her belt, we should start taking a step forward again.

We are also looking at Gold Coast's Serene Watson, who I know nothing about but she's a good size at 174cm.
How legit see the wardlaw rumours? Big footy stuff or actual possibilities?

She’s a gun forward and would actually help us in our inability to scote

We are also looking at Gold Coast's Serene Watson, who I know nothing about but she's a good size at 174cm.
Watson plays smaller, though. More of a distributor off half back, from what I've seen. If it's Fitzpatrick going back the other way it's not really like-for-like.

How legit see the wardlaw rumours? Big footy stuff or actual possibilities?
Wardlaw has told Brisbane she's leaving and multiple media outlets are reporting that she's coming to St Kilda. Trading should be nice and awkward, though, since there's really not much of value the Saints can offer. Can't really go through the draft for multiple reasons, so who knows how it's going to work.

If only they'd had some means of allowing star players to move from good teams to bad teams with the league figuring out compensation.

Watson plays smaller, though. More of a distributor off half back, from what I've seen. If it's Fitzpatrick going back the other way it's not really like-for-like.

Wardlaw has told Brisbane she's leaving and multiple media outlets are reporting that she's coming to St Kilda. Trading should be nice and awkward, though, since there's really not much of value the Saints can offer. Can't really go through the draft for multiple reasons, so who knows how it's going to work.

If only they'd had some means of allowing star players to move from good teams to bad teams with the league figuring out compensation.
Mm yeah we don’t have much to trade and this upcoming draft is an over Age one closer to the mid season draft than an actual draft. The good one is at the end of the year

Mm yeah we don’t have much to trade and this upcoming draft is an over Age one closer to the mid season draft than an actual draft. The good one is at the end of the year
Even in the good drafts, picks don't mean much to Brisbane because they've got their own draft zone. Having earlier picks than GC only helps them on players nominating from out of state.

Supposedly Ellie Hampson wants to go from GC to Brisbane, so I think there will be an effort to do another multi-team trade where everybody walks away with something. It's just hard to imagine how that works with the Saints supposedly getting both Wardlaw and Watson off the two teams that care least about draft picks. I'd be surprised if it all got done for just Fitzpatrick and (worthless) draft picks.

Even in the good drafts, picks don't mean much to Brisbane because they've got their own draft zone. Having earlier picks than GC only helps them on players nominating from out of state.

Supposedly Ellie Hampson wants to go from GC to Brisbane, so I think there will be an effort to do another multi-team trade where everybody walks away with something. It's just hard to imagine how that works with the Saints supposedly getting both Wardlaw and Watson off the two teams that care least about draft picks. I'd be surprised if it all got done for just Fitzpatrick and (worthless) draft picks.
Yes when are they doing away with the whole nominate a state draft system?

It could be something as involved as:

StK lose Fitzpatrick and Greiser; get Wardlaw and Watson
GC lose Hampson, Jones and Watson; get Fitzpatrick, Brancatisano and pick 33
BL lose Wardlaw and Pullar; get Hampson and pick 5
Rich lose Brancatisano and Cordner; get Greiser and Jones
Carl lose pick 5; get Cordner
NM lose pick 33; get Pullar

That's not ideal. At least we still have BJ down back so maybe a serviceable key defender is something that can be found in the mature age draft.

It would also be good to see Friend to improve and have her become a reliable 2nd key back to help fill hat hole.

It could be something as involved as:

StK lose Fitzpatrick and Greiser; get Wardlaw and Watson
GC lose Hampson, Jones and Watson; get Fitzpatrick, Brancatisano and pick 33
BL lose Wardlaw and Pullar; get Hampson and pick 5
Rich lose Brancatisano and Cordner; get Greiser and Jones
Carl lose pick 5; get Cordner
NM lose pick 33; get Pullar
That makes more sense than any scenarios I've thought of. That pick 5 to Brisbane could be a sticking point if they want another player. If there's something that large in the works the whole trade week could come down to talking some fringe player into moving to Brisbane.

That's not ideal. At least we still have BJ down back so maybe a serviceable key defender is something that can be found in the mature age draft.

It would also be good to see Friend to improve and have her become a reliable 2nd key back to help fill hat hole.
I was thinking more Ott as the number two key defender and Friend playing in more of an intercept type role. Burke takes dangerous smalls and Priest and Watson do the rebounding. I hope I haven't forgotten anyone obvious.

I was thinking more Ott as the number two key defender and Friend playing in more of an intercept type role. Burke takes dangerous smalls and Priest and Watson do the rebounding. I hope I haven't forgotten anyone obvious.
You haven't. I forgot about Ott. That's a decent set up all things considered.

McDonald on one wing and the addition of Chiocci on the other should also help with the ball movement from defence.

We are still going to be a work in progress but I'm not too concerned with the outs and think we've covered them fairly well.

You haven't. I forgot about Ott. That's a decent set up all things considered.

McDonald on one wing and the addition of Chiocci on the other should also help with the ball movement from defence.

We are still going to be a work in progress but I'm not too concerned with the outs and think we've covered them fairly well.
Yeah, the top teams are still going to be a mighty struggle, but hopefully the games against middle teams will be much closer.

Midfield is tough to figure out. You'd think all of Lambert, Patrikios, Smith, Stuart, Vesely and Dillon should play if healthy. Some of those will probably have to take some runs on the wing or in the forward line. The depth looks a lot better with a genuine star at the top, though.

Carlton original Nat Plane appears bound for St Kilda with the Blues and Saints in discussions with Richmond about a three-way AFLW trade that would send Harriet Cordner to Ikon Park and Caitlin Greiser to Punt Road.
Industry sources confirmed that the clubs were in talks about a trade that could go through as early as tomorrow. Draft picks could also swap hands as part of the trade.

Greiser, the league’s leading goalkicker and an All-Australian in 2020 had been seeking an exit from Moorabbin after slipping down the pecking order at St Kilda under coach Nick Dal Santo.

The Saints are seeking to deal with the Brisbane Lions for season seven leading goalkicker Jesse Wardlaw, who wants to head to Moorabbin.

Cordner, 30, is interested in a move from Richmond to Carlton. The key defender, who can also play ruck, became Tigers’ vice-captain following a breakout 2021 in which she was named in the All-Australian squad, but ruptured her ACL early in 2022, missing most of season six and all of season seven. Carlton would be her third AFLW club, having started at Melbourne.

Plane, 26, has emerged as a circuit-breaker in the Cordner and Greiser moves. A former Melbourne Renegades cricketer and member of Carlton’s first AFLW team in 2017, she has played 36 matches across seven seasons, used as a midfielder and defender.

Carlton is still on the hunt for a new AFLW coach and head of women’s football following the departures of Daniel Harford and Brett Munro in the wake of the club’s review of its AFLW operations.

St Kilda has already landed Collingwood paid Jaimee Lambert and Steph Chiocci in a deal which sent Kate Shierlaw to North Melbourne and Tarni White to the Magpies.

The Tigers could acquire Courtney Jones from the Gold Coast but lose Maddy Brancatisano the other way.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, the top teams are still going to be a mighty struggle, but hopefully the games against middle teams will be much closer.

Midfield is tough to figure out. You'd think all of Lambert, Patrikios, Smith, Stuart, Vesely and Dillon should play if healthy. Some of those will probably have to take some runs on the wing or in the forward line. The depth looks a lot better with a genuine star at the top, though.
I'm hoping we can get to a level get to Carlton's level next year. And not choke a winning position late in the 4th quarter.

MIdfield depth looks so much better, especially for when Dillion needs rested. The mids always fall away those games so having that extra depth should make us more competitive overall.

If we don’t get wardlaw we’re ****ed now in terms of forwards. G train and Shierlaw both gone. Unless Ella friend can move from defence
Entire competition is so amateurish. Imagine this happening in the AFL.

It's hard to get excited about a player that was struggling to get a game for Carlton. I can't see Plane playing in a fit St Kilda side unless either Priest moves into the middle or the Watson trade falls through.

Equally hard to get excited about a token draft pick, unless that token draft pick helps to get the other deals done.

Disappointing that it came to this with Greiser given where she was a couple of years ago.

It's hard to get excited about a player that was struggling to get a game for Carlton. I can't see Plane playing in a fit St Kilda side unless either Priest moves into the middle or the Watson trade falls through.

Equally hard to get excited about a token draft pick, unless that token draft pick helps to get the other deals done.

Disappointing that it came to this with Greiser given where she was a couple of years ago.
I'm guessing the extra first rounder will be used in getting Wardlaw across, even if it's meaningless for Brisbane.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back