Draft Profile Sam Docherty

Remove this Banner Ad

Watched him play in the carnival vs W.A. Clearly best on ground playing a Grant Birchall type roll of the back flank. Good decision maker with great foot skills. Would love to see him wearing the brown and gold.

Bloke can kick.
Draft watchers, what chance he could go into midfield?

Much like Hurn, one thinks

I don't think he's like Hurn at all tbh.

His kicking is damaging, but it's not the god-like kicking I've heard in media circles and around here.

Hurn has him covered by a fair distance, Brad McKenzie is alot more like Shannon Hurn in terms of kicking.

Docherty has pace to burn, something Hurn doesn't have.

Docherty is your true 100m player off half back.

Adcock is a comparison I've heard, and it's a good one imo. Shades of Yarran in his carry, but thats about it.

Didn't test at the combine, but having seen him play, his 20m sprint would be in the low 2.90's possibly high 2.8's.

His pace in transition off half back will be his weapon at AFL level, not his kicking imo, he might be in the top 20% of kicks in the league when he gets there.

Hurn's in the top 1%.

Thanks Pykie. Interesting views.

Not tying to equate him with Hurn, more suggesting that from the vid seen, his run and carry game seems suited (perhaps only) to the back half, like Hurn.

We will probably have him available to us. Unless the club views him as more midfielder than flanker, I doubt he'd be coming to Punt Road

Emma Quayle predicts he'll go first 15. Not so sure, though first round seems obvious

Article on him today in the Sun: http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...-line-to-the-top/story-e6frf9jf-1226180426377

Bit of a puff piece, really. Experience playing against men always a big plus I reckon

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In a choice of him v Kavanagh, he is really starting to appeal.

Ahh, why am i bothering. We'll stuff it up;)

Really like what i see in his highlights package. Absolutely be stoked if the Tigers selected him. Kicking still a weakness for us and he would definetly improve that section.

Really like what i see in his highlights package. Absolutely be stoked if the Tigers selected him. Kicking still a weakness for us and he would definetly improve that section.

have my doubts that we would target a pure HBF'er with pick 15 (Batchelor, Morris, Newman, Lids, Dea), but his poise and distribution, together with his urgency, should make him a fine wingman

Yep, I hope we take him too.:thumbsu:

have my doubts that we would target a pure HBF'er with pick 15 (Batchelor, Morris, Newman, Lids, Dea), but his poise and distribution, together with his urgency, should make him a fine wingman

Yep, I hope we take him too.:thumbsu:

Fine Wingman. My thoughts exactly. Lets face it the HBF is basically just another midfield position now so id say he could get a bit of time in the guts too.

Sure would, didnt say my club was beating worlds, did I?
Hence why you're comments are just a little bit rich. But as you said. In teams like these, we all need a laugh. Appreciate the laugh. Thanks :)

Hence why you're comments are just a little bit rich. But as you said. In teams like these, we all need a laugh. Appreciate the laugh. Thanks :)

Im finding it hilarious also that Carlton fans are bumping every single thread related to Docherty, as if to celebrate the fact that they managed to lure away a kid from a club that he didnt want to be at in the first place, to yourselves who he's supported since he was a kid.

Its not some great coup by Carlton, its something that was inevitable, in hindsight.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back