Sam Mitchell the equal of Greg 'Diesel' Williams

Remove this Banner Ad

Williams kicked 5 goals in a GF.

Mitchell has never done this in any game.

For those saying no - any rationale? and what would Mitchell have to do to 'catch' him?

He won't catch him. As good and underrated as Mitchell has been and is, I used to turn on the tv to watch Diesel play. Sam doesn't compel me turn on the tv to watch him.

The highlights package that is posted on the first page, whilst ok, it nowhere near what Diesel was as a footballer. His hands were lasers.

If they were picking a team of the century again, imo, Diesel would still be in it. Mitchell wouldn't be seriously looked at.

I don't think you can compare players on how many premierships they've won and shouldn't be used to compare players. There have been some excellent players who have never played in a granny because their team mates were crap and they were loyal to a crap team.

If you were picking the best AFL team right now would Mitchell even be thought of?

Naturally very biased, but Diesel is right up there with the best I have ever seen.

Not 100% sure that Sam Mitchell would be picked in a greatest ever Hawthorn team, but considering the calibre of players that have worn those colours in the last 50 years, I couldn't imagine too many tougher gigs. That's no disrespect to Mitchell, he is a gun.

All I know is, that he is better than voss, Buckley and hird. Probably only juddy and ablett pip him for best midfielders post 2000

All I know is, that he is better than voss, Buckley and hird. Probably only juddy and ablett pip him for best midfielders post 2000

your opinion mate, but don't let the coaching careers of these three players, especially Hird, tarnish your memory of how good they were as players. They were absolute megastars and Sam Mitchell whilst an absolute gun, was never the best player in the comp at any point like the above three were for a while.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I didn't see enough of Williams to know but his Brownlows and other awards suggest he was the best in the league for many years. While Mitchell as great as he is, isn't even the best in his own team

Naturally very biased, but Diesel is right up there with the best I have ever seen.

Not 100% sure that Sam Mitchell would be picked in a greatest ever Hawthorn team, but considering the calibre of players that have worn those colours in the last 50 years, I couldn't imagine too many tougher gigs. That's no disrespect to Mitchell, he is a gun.

Take it from a Hawthorn fan, Mitchell is the best player over the journey in our (triple premiership) side - 95% of Hawthorn fans would agree. He would also easily slot into our TOTC.

Was clearly the most influential player on the ground when the game was still hot yesterday, and has polled 178 Brownlow votes (including 30, 26 and 21) without winning.

He could easily have the two Charlies and the Norm Smith that Diesel has.

Mitchell has done it without being a thug. He has also achieved it in a modern era where plodders usually get found ut.
Back in the day everyone was a thug.that is the way footy was played back then.Williams would have changed his style for modern footy.Back then belting someone behind the ears and half crippling him was called being tough.Nothing tough about it .Cowardly if anything but every club had those players.

Apart from their physical dimensions and positions I don't see enough similarities to justify the constant comparisons.

Really......I think you should look a little deeper then. You have described what's different about both players.

The similarities they both have is that were both clearance machines, could read the play like no other and were both extremely creative by hand, when you throw this in with both their body types .....that is why they are both compared with each other as players with similar attributes.

Seen both play, Diesel better. Go back and have a look at the 95 GF for proof.

Diesel was brilliant that day (and many others) but I don't think you can use 1 game as proof. I could just as easily say look at the 2013 PF vs Geelong, or the 2012 QF vs Collingwood or even yesterday's game. When the game was there to be won, Mitchell was dominant. They mentioned on the radio that in the 2nd quarter blitz that won the game, Hawthorn won the centre clearances 5-0. Mitchell won all five of those. Regardless, single games are not points of comparison.

Greg Williams is the greatest Carlton midfielder I ever saw. 40m handballs on the tit!
After the last 18 months, Sam Mitchell is definitely in the top 5 Hawks I've ever seen.
Ridiculously underrated by many, but not at the Back to back Premiers!
Who is better? Who cares, both Hall of Fame players!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back