Samantha Murphy Ballarat * Patrick Orren Stephenson Charged With Murder

Remove this Banner Ad

Here are the crime board rules of engagement. Please read them.

Importantly, 'sub judice' means that a case is under consideration by the courts. 'Sub judice contempt' can occur if information is published that may be prejudicial to the court proceedings.

Don't spread baseless rumours or state as fact that which is opinion, please.

A degree of respect in all discussion across this board is expected.

The Murder of Rebecca Young - Ballarat

The Murder of Hannah McGuire - Ballarat * Lachie Young charged

Allegedly

Last edited:
Without knowing all the details, it's hard to know for sure, but from the outside, I believe Ron Iddles would have taken a different approach with the suspect. Ron's mantra was to treat everyone with respect, including the suspect. That is the best way to establish trust and then elicit information. There seems to be zero respect or trust between the police and the accused. Therefore no information is being exchanged.
There may be things going on behind the scenes we don't know about, but jumping to a murder charge without a body or obvious motive wasn't the way Ron operated.

I'd have taken him for a leisurely drive before we got to the formal interview stage at the police station, so I could watch his body language as we drove through Mount Clear. Having a nice chat, telling him this is the last drive he'll be taking for a while so make the most of it and to his advantage. Of course it would be to his advantage if he landed back at the police station, with something everybody wants and before charges eventuate.

"Now, where do we turn from here?"

I think the question was, how do you know the police have not done /are not doing that?
Because they interviewed him once, and charged him with murder without finding out where the body was.

Why didn't they establish a relationship with him, gain his trust, put him under surveillance, and then keep coming back to see if he would reveal more details?

They might have made solving the case a whole lot easier.

“Samantha Murphy's husband Mick scours bushland alone in hope of finding the police search site - as missing jogger's family reveal how they have been left in the dark by cops”

I know clickbait is real, but the headline here is just so bloody sad.. can’t even imagine being in Micks shoes right now, or through any of it really.

this, ******* disgusting the amount of people commenting about him and the family early on

Honestly. We all have no idea what’s going on behind the scenes and what the police have or haven’t done. A heap of assumptions isn’t adding anything to this thread.
If we took away all the assumptions and conspiracy theories, all that would be left in this thread would be nitpicking.

They did ask me not to tell anyone exactly about what we found, and to keep the exact site quiet. That's why I'm alluding to 'where', but you can find it on google maps, just follow the Yarrawee.
The object wasn't odd, but it was unusual in the environment in which we found it. I'm not 'Q', there are no big predictions here, but we did find something 'odd' and took it in to Ballarat PS.
Hope this answers your question Zinga
DirtyLeeds can I ask if the police took a formal statement from you with details about where exactly this item was found?

I guess if they didn't do so, then they don't consider it to be significant.

Also what made you go to police with it? Was it an item you believed might be relevant to this case? Or just an item of potential monetary or sentimental value you wanted to see returned to its rightful owner?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I posted this as a response earlier and thought it might have been a bit over the top given this is a murder investigation but it's generally the best way imo.

Best not to talk a lot to the cops imo. If you're innocent, explain why you couldn't have done the thing simply and as briefly as possible then zip it, don't answer any more questions or you might end up talking yourself in to a charge.
I saw your post.

I’d be even more cautious and say absolutely nothing. In my case I said “I’m not talking to you. I’m way too drunk.” Which was completely true.

They kept trying to push me. I said something else after dropping my guard and they twisted my words back to me. They even tried the “If you talk to us we can rule you out.”

DirtyLeeds can I ask if the police took a formal statement from you with details about where exactly this item was found?

I guess if they didn't do so, then they don't consider it to be significant.

Also what made you go to police with it? Was it an item you believed might be relevant to this case? Or just an item of potential monetary or sentimental value you wanted to see returned to its rightful owner?
No formal interview, just the desk sergeant! But he was firm about what we had found that we should keep it to ourselves. And Sandy Hills Road is definitely heading in the right direction, but they're on the wrong side of the river!

Not sure I understand why the 5pm ping is a problem, the phone can ping after death. I'm thinking the police have the murder as being at Mount Clear with information they've pulled from her watch ie. her heart stopped beating there and/or they found something at Mount Clear, a piece of her clothing, her ear buds or blood?

It was to do with this if I remember correctly. I’m on the other side of Vic and had problems with Telstra at the time due to the upgrade and then storms happened destroyed a few towers View attachment 1934284
I think the storms & power outage was later than 4th Feb.

Yes, found it : https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-02...electriity-storms-power-outage-grid/103494854

If this is true then what an absolute disgrace.
Keep drilling him until he gives up the location of the woman he murdered.

It’s up there with the lawyer wanting to suppress PS’s name when he first got arrested because he was worried he may harm himself.
Ffs please. He should have thought about that when he was murdering an innocent woman.
The legal system in this country can be a ******* joke at times.

what you mean ... everyone has right to silence.

drill him as much as u want. his lawyer be directing him to shut up.

so he's not talking ..it´s normal. he doesn´t have to talk.

Until the prosecution hand over the brief to the defence why the * would you talk????? he may after this.

The only thing that is a joke in this country is the sentences handed out to convicted murderers.

Where the recent fires in Ballarat anywhere near the area that she went missing?
No

And none were deemed suspicious (all caused by lightning I believe.) so that theory is an easy no.

Based on what, though? You might just as well have said he’s an extraterrestrial in human form.
Early on after SM's disappearance, there was some wild speculation on of the FB pages that she may have been abducted by aliens.

Surprisingly, no one has floated the idea that she could have been taken by one of those "panthers" that have been sighted in Victoria by various slack jawed yokels over the years.

Footnote: I do not subscribe to this theory but just want it added to the ledger of ridiculous speculation that is already existing on this thread.

Early on after SM's disappearance, there was some wild speculation on of the FB pages that she may have been abducted by aliens.

Surprisingly, no one has floated the idea that she could have been taken by one of those "panthers" that have been sighted in Victoria by various slack jawed yokels over the years.

Footnote: I do not subscribe to this theory but just want it added to the ledger of ridiculous speculation that is already existing on this thread.

On my list of unusual causes of mysterious disappearances, I have spontaneous human combustion after UFO abduction but before Big Cat Breakfast.

Of the less wild theories is a snake bite (copperhead) which can take effect quite quickly and cause a heart failure. Of course this doesn't explain the lack of a body as alien abduction/ time travel would.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back