SANFL List Management 2022-23

Remove this Banner Ad

Pardon my ignorance but who are Ports Football and Netba Club? Which town are they from?

1673340607840.png

It’s a bit scary but if our list stays fairly healthy in 2023, Sutcliff and Jed Hagan will be the only players considered as getting a complete season with the 2’s. Of course that won’t happen but there will be limited opportunities for some signings.
So thus far we have Sutts(?), Hagen, H Monty, Francou, Motlop and C-Collins.
Mainly kids, which isn't all bad.

With few injuries, not many top ups will be needed, but if we have a bad run, we likely will need another half dozen or so.

Will any from last season be re-contracted (Moores x 2, Corcoran, Wildman, Wilson, Jack "Brownlow" Strange)?

Hopefully we contract some decent quality blokes, as our AFL contingent are predominantly youngsters. A bit of experience, toughness and grit to go with semi-respectable skills would certainly boost our chances of winning a few more games and imbueing a winning culture into those young kids.

People claiming in the AFL pre-season thread that Kobe Ryan from Westies + another player might be training with the group.

Hopefully we get some news and/or a training gallery. Could be a possible SANFL signing if true.

People claiming in the AFL pre-season thread that Kobe Ryan from Westies + another player might be training with the group.

Hopefully we get some news and/or a training gallery. Could be a possible SANFL signing if true.
It's frustrating because the Crows have been very open about who they're signing and who stayed. And TBF, they're gonna be hard to beat again.

Apart from guys like Jed and a couple of the father-sons training with the AFL side, have the other top-up SANFL players started their pre-season training yet? Does that just happen on other days at Alberton with zero media coverage?
CMS Crows facebook page (who announced Murphy Short signing with Port) said the Maggies kicked off pre-season in late November.

We've raided North Adelaide for our top up list

Incoming:
Jed Hagan (East Fremantle), Tom McCallum (Tasmania Devils/Clarence), Tom Scully (West Adelaide), Kyle Marshall (South Adelaide), Nathan Barkla (Woodville-West Torrens), Preston Cockatoo-Collins (North Adelaide), Will Francou (North Adelaide), Brodie Motlop (North Adelaide), Harper Montgomery (North Adelaide)

Going:
Steven Motlop (retired), Sam Mayes (delisted/North Adelaide), Sam Skinner (delisted/South Adelaide), Marty Frederick (delisted/Sturt), Taj Schofield (delisted/Subiaco)

SANFL Coming Going for 2023 - SANFL

We've raided North Adelaide for our top up list

Incoming:
Jed Hagan (East Fremantle), Tom McCallum (Tasmania Devils/Clarence), Tom Scully (West Adelaide), Kyle Marshall (South Adelaide), Nathan Barkla (Woodville-West Torrens), Preston Cockatoo-Collins (North Adelaide), Will Francou (North Adelaide), Brodie Motlop (North Adelaide), Harper Montgomery (North Adelaide)

Going:
Steven Motlop (retired), Sam Mayes (delisted/North Adelaide), Sam Skinner (delisted/South Adelaide), Marty Frederick (delisted/Sturt), Taj Schofield (delisted/Subiaco)

SANFL Coming Going for 2023 - SANFL

Kevin Sheehan liked Jed Hagen and he had him listed in his top medium defenders list-

1675630435436.png

Again ankle syndesmosis rears it's ugly head. If this keeps up we will be able to form an Old Syndesmosian fraternity among the guys on out list.

Sheehan also listed Harper Montgomery, son of Brett, as a medium defender. Harper played a couple of top up games for the Port Magpies in 2022 so North probably expected us to come knocking in 2023.

1675630830936.png

The problem with top up players is it is great to have them on board but they do not have a pool of senior experience so using them is often out of necessity. TBH I am not even sure what competition they play in if they are not selected for the Port Magpies League side.

Last edited:
Kevin Sheehan liked Jed Hagen and he had him listed in his top medium defenders list-

View attachment 1601019

Again ankle syndesmosis rears it's ugly head. If this keeps up we will be able to form an Old Syndesmosian fraternity among the guys on out list.

Sheehan also listed Harper Montgomery, son of Brett, as a medium defender. Harper played a couple of top up games for the Port Magpies in 2022 so North probably expected us to come knocking in 2023.

View attachment 1601023

The problem with top up players is it is great to have them on board but they do not have a pool of senior experience so using them is often out of necessity. TBH I am not even sure what competition they play in if they are not selected for the Port Magpies League side.
My drama with how we recruit top up players is most are inexperienced kids, this is what the crows used to do and why the got belted most weeks. Seemes like once they got Godden as coach that has stopped. They've gone out and recruited a good chunk of experienced senior players (Sharrad, MacKenzie, Templeton ect)

We seem to grab kids in the vain hope they might be good draft picks in the future, but how much confidence or how much are these kids chances of being noticed in a side getting killed every week?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My drama with how we recruit top up players is most are inexperienced kids, this is what the crows used to do and why the got belted most weeks. Seemes like once they got Godden as coach that has stopped. They've gone out and recruited a good chunk of experienced senior players (Sharrad, MacKenzie, Templeton ect)

We seem to grab kids in the vain hope they might be good draft picks in the future, but how much confidence or how much are these kids chances of being noticed in a side getting killed every week?

Yes, that is one of my concerns. Young Francou and Monty may work out but if they do they will be exceptions to the rule. There are some exceptions to the general lack of experience such as Anthony Wilson, John Butcher and Matt Appleton but these guys hardly seem to set the SANFL alight when they do get the chance. I guess you cannot play every one and someone is going to miss out and from Ken's point of view he would probably sooner see what the young guys can do.

If we can stay free of injury and get the AFL fringe players like Ollie Lord, Bryn Teakle, Dante Visentini, etc. firing the lack of experience among some of the younger players may be offset. As I see it lack of senior footy experience may be a real issue for us this year.

Yes, that is one of my concerns. Young Francou and Monty may work out but if they do they will be exceptions to the rule. There are some exceptions to the general lack of experience such as Anthony Wilson, John Butcher and Matt Appleton but these guys hardly seem to set the SANFL alight when they do get the chance. I guess you cannot play every one and someone is going to miss out and from Ken's point of view he would probably sooner see what the young guys can do.

If we can stay free of injury and get the AFL fringe players like Ollie Lord, Bryn Teakle, Dante Visentini, etc. firing the lack of experience among some of the younger players may be offset. As I see it lack of senior footy experience may be a real issue for us this year.
My frustration is how do we let Lous Sharrad play for the crows? Surely if he was available and more than happy to be a top up for the crows he'd be happy to be one for us? I mean we got Corcoran back after he left for the Bays.

The Sam Gray situation still angers me. He was on 3AW saying how he was happy to play for the magpies and even bring his brother Tom back with him yet the club said they weren't interested. Like, jesus christ!

My frustration is how do we let Lous Sharrad play for the crows? Surely if he was available and more than happy to be a top up for the crows he'd be happy to be one for us? I mean we got Corcoran back after he left for the Bays.

The Sam Gray situation still angers me. He was on 3AW saying how he was happy to play for the magpies and even bring his brother Tom back with him yet the club said they weren't interested. Like, jesus christ!
Must see the Grays as clogging the development of others I guess.

Must see the Grays as clogging the development of others I guess.
The others of who? The AFL listed guys get picked anyway, and there's Zero guarantee that the kids on the top list will be any good. (And I almost see only 1 or 2 of them working out and more than likely will only be good solid SANFL players at that)

The kids won't develop at all if their in an inexperienced side and getting killed week in and week out.

I was in favour of it at the time and it's obviously easy to be wise after the event, but the One Club situation hasn't exactly been a great success for the Maggies, we gave up too much, eg the deadlegs getting the West Coast zone is extremely hard to swallow, and seeing blokes who aren't in the top 30 magoo's players for other clubs running around in the PB's doesn't help the situation either.

I agree totally re former players who were at least good quality sanfl performers being for some reason totally ignored, but I suspect if younger versions of Russell Ebert or Barry Robran somehow fell through the draft cracks and bobbed up at Alberton wanting a game our current hierarchy would find a way of c*cking that up too!

The others of who? The AFL listed guys get picked anyway, and there's Zero guarantee that the kids on the top list will be any good. (And I almost see only 1 or 2 of them working out and more than likely will only be good solid SANFL players at that)

The kids won't develop at all if their in an inexperienced side and getting killed week in and week out.
I don't disagree with you I was just guessing.

The club has struggled to find the balance with development & competitiveness at SANFL level.

I am not too sure about the rules re ex AFL players. We are allowed a leadership player and as I understand it that is Cam Sutcliffe. The confusion exists in my mind because the SANFL has changed the qualification rules several times since 2014 and you need to be Philadelphia lawyer to follow them. As with the AFL the rules within the SANFL do not get any simpler. The situation is not all the Club's fault as they have to work within some constrictive SANFL rules.

As I posted previously I am not even sure which competition the Port Magpies Academy side plays in or where these top up players go if they are not selected in the Port Magpies SANFL League side.

I was in favour of it at the time and it's obviously easy to be wise after the event, but the One Club situation hasn't exactly been a great success for the Maggies, we gave up too much, eg the deadlegs getting the West Coast zone is extremely hard to swallow, and seeing blokes who aren't in the top 30 magoo's players for other clubs running around in the PB's doesn't help the situation either.

I agree totally re former players who were at least good quality sanfl performers being for some reason totally ignored, but I suspect if younger versions of Russell Ebert or Barry Robran somehow fell through the draft cracks and bobbed up at Alberton wanting a game our current hierarchy would find a way of c*cking that up too!
I had no drama with the One Club thing back in 2011, but turning the magpies into the reserves I was completely against. Mostly because we were gonna lose to much! I think it couldve worked where everyone was happy, but the crows went in with a trash model and once the SANFL agreed to it, we were screwed.

It wouldve been nice to maybe say "any player on the AFL list who is rookie listed or under 21 can also play in the magpies reserves" I feel that way we couldve kept a good lot of our SANFL players as some would be guaranteed a league game every week then and let's be fair, most the rookies and players under 21 were playing SANFL reserves anyway Wether at the magpies or their respected SANFL clubs.

BigFooty.com-810927754.png

I wasn't aware Jed Hagan has such an impressive resume. All Australian and played 8 senior WAFL games. How did he not get drafted? Simply too short at 175cm?

Narkle missed a spot on Richmond list. Worth a look for the Maggie’s, good mates with SPP. Trail for a 2024 AFL list spot

Narkle missed a spot on Richmond list. Worth a look for the Maggie’s, good mates with SPP. Trail for a 2024 AFL list spot
I don't think we can sign delisted AFL players straight off a list unless they played for Port, or didn't play AFL in the year before.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back