Injury Scharenberg knee injury (latest (7th Apr): will be playing again in a few weeks)

Remove this Banner Ad

Scharenberg at 17
608528-8dd5973c-5296-11e3-b7b4-89041ea3763d.jpg

2 years later

B3Kv7q7CMAAr3w1.jpg:large

Yep bigger at 17.

Have to say I thought his body shape at 18 was much better for the contested style player he is

Built like an outside winger at the moment

Yeah no doubt terrible luck for both boys&the Pies in 2014 that they weren't able to get on the park.Hopefully better luck for both&things continue to keep getting up for them,I don't see why both can't get on to have promising careers still:).

It'll all be controlled I'd say. They would not be worried about him having muscle at the moment. Once his knee and legs are up and about, they'll start adding more weight to him.

It likely means we won't see much of him this year unfortunately.

With his frame he could add decent muscle mass in 2 to 3 months.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to work out that the weight loss is deliberate to ease the pressure on his feet and knee.

Some of you guys sound like you're dissapointed that you can't jack off to photos of his biceps :rolleyes:

Last edited:
With his frame he could add decent muscle mass in 2 to 3 months.

It doesn't take a rocket scientest to work out that the weight loss is deliberate to ease the pressure on his feet and knee.

Some of you guys sound like you're dissapointed that you can't jack off to photos of his biceps :rolleyes:

If by 2-3 months you mean 2-3 preseasons I agree with everything.

Getting a big rig doesn't happen overnight, and with Scharenbergs huge injury problems they won't want to stack weight onto his feet and knees over a short period anyway.

Will probably have to wait till 2017 to see the best of Schaz

If by 2-3 months you mean 2-3 preseasons I agree with everything.

Getting a big rig doesn't happen overnight, and with Scharenbergs huge injury problems they won't want to stack weight onto his feet and knees over a short period anyway.

Will probably have to wait till 2017 to see the best of Schaz
Putting on 5kg of muscle doesn't take 2-3 preseasons, especially with a frame like Scharenbergs. If he was able to have the muscle he did at age 17, he shouldn't have much trouble putting that back on with the right diet and weights programme.

As for stacking weight on his feet, he was playing this year in the VFL at a heavier weight with no feet issues. Can almost guarantee that his weight loss is purely to ease stress on his knees. Less stress on the recovering knee, and less stress on the good one, which tends to have more load put on it than normal to compensate for the injured knee.
This way they reduce the risk of the opposite knee being weakened during rehab.

Putting on 5kg of muscle doesn't take 2-3 preseasons, especially with a frame like Scharenbergs. If he was able to have the muscle he did at age 17, he shouldn't have much trouble putting that back on with the right diet and weights programme.

As for stacking weight on his feet, he was playing this year in the VFL at a heavier weight with no feet issues. Can almost guarantee that his weight loss is purely to ease stress on his knees. Less stress on the recovering knee, and less stress on the good one, which tends to have more load put on it than normal to compensate for the injured knee.
This way they reduce the risk of the opposite knee being weakened during rehab.

The 5kg figure is just pulled out of the air, getting his body physically ready for AFL is going to take 2-3 preseasons especially after his set backs

The 5kg figure is just pulled out of the air, getting his body physically ready for AFL is going to take 2-3 preseasons especially after his set backs
You really don't know much about fitness and rehab huh?

We will see Berg playing seniors well before 2017/18. Barring further injury he will be playing regular senior footy in 2016.

Come on Apex, you know Blaze knows it all! :drunk:

I agree we wont see his best for a couple of yearsthough, but that will be more due to the development he has missed so far.

I believe that as soon as they get him back on the weights and adjust his diet he can get a few more kgs on him before his season starts, which i assume will be mid year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just got back from my weekly physio and pilates, and asked my physio how exactly they use your hamstring to repair a torn ACL.
He described it like this:
Imagine you are peeling a piece of Celery.
The strands that come off are then wrapped around your ACL to join and strengthen it.
He said that you would normally have some tightness in the hammy until it fully recovers, which is why so many ACL recipients develop hamstring problems early. But they will not be ongoing once they have healed completely if proper rehab has been completed.

I'll ask him about the weight loss on Wednesday when I see him again.

I hear he is in full training after having his ACL op at the start of September. Can anyone confirm this? Seems too soon to return to contact. Is Scharenberg defying the odds of returning quicker than just about any player I've seen?

I hear he is in full training after having his ACL op at the start of September. Can anyone confirm this? Seems too soon to return to contact. Is Scharenberg defying the odds of returning quicker than just about any player I've seen?
Managed to get along and see training this morning. Pretty full compliment of players. In fact, I think Macaffer was the only player on the list that I didn't see there.

A few of the guys were resticted to laps. Keeffe, Seedsman and Moore didn't take part in any of the warm us or ball drills. Laps only. Same with Witts (who churned out plenty). Not sure if there is anything wrong with Keeffe, but he had his left calf in one of those compression type bandages. He disapperared about half way through the session.

Young only made a brief appearance later in the session. Walked and jogged a few laps. And when I say jogged, I'm talking almost Cliffy Young style. He looked like he's got a long way to go to be match ready.

Marsh spent a fair bit of time running laps, but he was one who did take part in at least some of the drills. Ben Reid basically did everything up until they got into some match simulation play. He dropped out then and ran laps. Seemed to be going fine.

Pretty much everyone else trained full on. The thing I noticed from about a month ago when I last went was there was a lot more match play drills. End to end stuff and less pure running. Amping things up towards the NAB.

A fair bit of time was spent on drills concentrating on boundary set ups. Where to stand. How far off etc and getting the set-ups done right and quickly.

Browny is still held together with a fair bit of tape on his shoulders. (Trained really well) Made me notice the skipper, who as per the picture above was bearing no signs of strapping or tape. Good signs.

Pretty hard to keep any eye on everyone during the matchdrills. They kept swapping their colored vests over all the time, but a few things I noted:

Scharanberg took part in all the match play. Didn't look hindered at all, although I suspect he was deliberately put into a sweeping type role at half back as he eases back into the swing of things.

Langdon took a few really good strong grabs in the back half. Against bigger blokes too. He reads the ball very well

Fasolo, Ramsay, Brown, Freeman, Greenwood, Varcoe, Elliott and Steele trained well and got a fair bit of it. The thing that stood out the most though were the guys who just make the right decisions. With guys screaming for the pill from all angles, it was Pendlebury, Swanny and De Goey who just seemed to know who to ignore and where to dish the ball off. Pendlebury cruised. Just class. Swanny runs and runs and keeps getting to the right spot all the time. Nothing wrong with him going on today. And De Goey of the young blokes just looked like one of those guys who has time on his side. Cool and calm. I think he'll be a ripper.

And Travis. Marked everything that came his way pretty much.

First time I've seen Mason Cox train the whole session in the main group. A long way to go but he has certainly improved.

Can not believe Scharenberg is playing matches so soon. Seems a really high risk and an unnecessary high risk to have him on the field for contact at the 4-5 month mark of an ACL op.

Can not believe Scharenberg is playing matches so soon.

He looks to be in full contact training, which is different to 'playing matches'. It'll be interesting to see if they play him in the intra-club match or not.

Seems a really high risk and an unnecessary high risk to have him on the field for contact at the 4-5 month mark of an ACL op.

It was mentioned last year that a recent innovation in sports medicine is the ability to track the healing of injuries. So it's not simply a matter of waiting a prescribed period of time, or doing a series of movement tests, but they can 'see' the stage of the healing - presumably using ultrasound or that kind of thing.

If a doctor is able to see Scharenberg's ACL and considers that he is ready to resume contact drills ... There's still some risk there so we may want to get a second opinion. But if the MD's have OK'ed it (which presumably they have) then surely that's OK?

Last edited:
He looks to be in full contact training, which is different to 'playing matches'. It'll be interesting to see if they play him in the intra-club match or not.

It was mentioned last year that a recent innovation in sports medicine is the ability to track the healing of injuries. So it's not simply a matter of waiting a prescribed period of time, or doing a series of movement tests, but they can 'see' the stage of the healing - presumably using ultrasound or that kind of thing.

If a doctor is able to see Scharenberg's ACL and considers that he is ready to resume contact drills ... There's still some risk there so we may want to get a second opinion. But if the MD's have OK'ed it (which presumably they have) then surely that's OK?
I was always under the presumption that the 9 month mark of an ACL was the mimium time frame to return to sport. Not sure that's changed so I can't get my head around the fact he would be cutting and doing side to side movement at the 4-5 month mark. I don't trust our doctors at all.

Doubt they play him in the Intra Club as he is just back to Full Training

I was always under the presumption that the 9 month mark of an ACL was the mimium time frame to return to sport. Not sure that's changed so I can't get my head around the fact he would be cutting and doing side to side movement at the 4-5 month mark. I don't trust our doctors at all.
Krak was back a helluva lot sooner. He did have a cadaver graft and therefore wasn't effected by th hammy issues so many have after a reco.

Personally, I had a reco in May and was playing in Feb the following year and I didn't have the benefit of state of the art rehab, while not having that level of competition. I was diligent with my rehab though. Just did as the docs said.

Main issue was the hammy. Did it a few times the following year due to the ACL graft from there.

I'll be surprised if Shazza is playing VFL prior to that magical 9 month timeframe which is the norm for a reco. I expect him to play in June. I'm certainly not ruling out any chance he has of playing AFL 2015. Who knows how he'll go once he's back playing?

Its not unheard of. Nine months is almost becoming standard now so that would mean hopefully a mid May return (he copped the injury in August). Just because hes returned to full training doesnt mean hes be rushed back for round one, and it doesnt mean he waont be cerefully monitored either.

Hopefully hes back getting some game time in the VFL by mid April.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back