Spook

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 19, 2003
Top of the pile looking down
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Claremont
Firstly let me say that the courage and conviction of Schoey to choose to stay at the Hawks in the wake of listing Lake & then Frawley made me feel happy to be a Hawk.
Now that Frawley and Spanger are both out for a 4 or 5 weeks we need him fit, firing and ready to go. Schoey has been named as an Emergency for all 3 games so far. IIRC he didn't play a NAB challenge game nor round 1 for Box Hill. So to date I think he played a couple of VFL scrathies. The bloke must be keen for a kick and some match conditioning. What happens on Saturday night? After the first bounce does he grab a cab/flight back to Melbourne and play with Box Hill on Sunday?

We know that Schoey cannot match up with the big forwards but he is still a quality player with a beautiful kick. With Lake and Gibbo down back Schoey is another excellent go to bloke to use his left and set up attacks.

So what do you think the Coaching teams plan is for our key backs and hence Schoey for the next 5 weeks?

Last edited:

Schoenmakers needs to play in the VFL first and show some good form before putting his hand up for selection. He didn't even play any games during the nab challenge and last week was also not selected for Box Hill.

Schoenmakers needs to play in the VFL first and show some good form before putting his hand up for selection. He didn't even play any games during the nab challenge and last week was also not selected for Box Hill.
Obviously our coaching panel think different since he traveled with the hawthorn team as an emergency

Obviously our coaching panel think different since he traveled with the hawthorn team as an emergency

I know, but I don't like the idea of bringing in a player who's hardly played any footy this year suddenly getting a call-up to play. Happy to be proven wrong but he needs to find form for Box Hill first and then if an opportunity presents itself then he will get a game in our team.

I think the Hawks see him mainly as a forward now as mixing him up as both a forward and defender shot his confidence as he was finding it hard to adapt.
He kicked 4-5 goals albeit in the intraclub match the week before round 1.
I dare say if a forward is out he will be first picked ahead of TOB.

Will be good to see where he plays at Box Hill, shame Spang/Brand are injured as the story of his Hawthorn career will most likely repeat.
Planned to be a swingman, eg lead up forward and third key defender as needed, but due to needs has to be one of the main key defenders.
Either way good luck to him, by all accounts has a great attitude, just needs a bit of luck and a good run at it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would love to see him be rewarded for choosing to stay. I reckon the nature of our recruiting has made him the unlucky man.
The choosing to stay is admirable and I wish him well and hope he finds reward but he should not be 'rewarded' for the choice. If his form warrants selection he will be selected. I really hope that happens as I have a soft spot for him. I do not want any player at hawthorn gifted any games until we have finished our run of grand final opportunities. I would like someone to be picked before Luke Hodge if they deserved it and he was the 23rd man in terms of form. Then again Hodge out of form is probably still better than a third of the list and all of Richmond at the moment.

I remember a Clarko presser and he was asked about the motivation for a 3-peat. His response was along the lines of winning it for guys who have missed out, and he mentioned Schoenmakers. Gave me a smile that line. Ceglar, Whitecross yes, Schoenmakers, hmmmmmm.

Geeze. Igf the guy hadn't done his knee we'd be listing him in sentences along with roughead and lake. He was carving everyone up for a guy at 20 he was incredible. Now he's playing a little like he's lost and isn't quite sure which direction his house is. but to say "But shoenmakers? hmmmm...." when CLARKO listed him among the guys he wants to see involved in a 3 peat? come on. I mean how often is clarko wrong about a guy's importannce to the club?

Choosing to stay?

My understanding is that the club shopped him around but clubs baulked at his contract and insisted the Hawks pay a chunk of it.

The club said no so he decided to stay rather than move to a better opportunity on less cash.

I don't blame him, but let's not praise him for it.

Its not given that frawley would have played every game either, depending on match ups

Plus lake has started this year very well, but how do we now preserve him a bit for finals ? I suppose he had an easy time last week, thats one way

(If) Lake is out.. With Frawley & Spangher already out... Shoey has to come in unless he plays an absolute stinker at Box Hill tomorrow..

Otherwise I can see hack Petrie kicking a bag!

We are fortunate no other club really wanted Shoey that much at the end of last season and he did not get his back up and want out after we shopped him about,he may be our last hope we cannot really afford Shoey or Gibbo to get injured now and hopefully Brian is not out for long.Bud would of been handy today!!!!

How long does a "medial strain" keep you out for?

I found this online about Mumford ....

"I think it's a medial (ligament strain) ... so the early indications are he definitely won't play this week and probably 50-50 for next week," Roos confirmed on Monday afternoon.

"Clearly we're not going to take any risks with him. It's normally a one to three week injury so we won't play him this week and we're expecting him to be right for the following week all things going well."

http://www.sportal.com.au/afl/news/mumford-out-for-swans/whznzjvi7wjt1vjvhpdw52wb0

Remove this Banner Ad

Back